Message Roller

Discussion in 'Health, Nutrition, Injuries & Medical Conditions' started by Modenacart, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Modenacart Barefooters
    1. North Carolina

Message Count:
    I have been struggling with knee and hamstring pain where it connects to the knee. I think this may have to do with tightness. I would like to start "rollering" the area to losen it. I have tried a lacross ball, but it is hard to roller it around. The lacross ball is great for the feet though.

Any recommendations on a roller that seems to work well?
  2. DNEchris Chapter Presidents
    1. New York
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    A rolling pin or a 1.5 litre bottle - once the contents have been enjoyed!

3. Bare Lee Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota

Message Count:
    For me, the hamstring is the key that ties everything together, so while the pain might be located in the lower hamstring, the cause of the tightness could be in your glutes, or even in your feet or shoulders. I would stretch and massage everything, with a variety of approaches (dynamic stretching, plyometrics, static stretching) and tools (balls, rollers, wheels, electric massagers), and see which ones seem to work best. It took me a long time to hone in on my own little bag of tricks.

NickW and Sid like this.
  4. Modenacart Barefooters
    1. North Carolina

Message Count:
    I find the rolling pin does not penetrate well and the handles feel like they are going to break off.

I order a travel stick roller. Should get here today so I will see if it works well.
  5. Barefoot Ken Bob Chapter Presidents
    1. California -...
    2. California -...
    3. California -...

Message Count:
    A fist works pretty well, and, no matter how far from home I am, I always seem to be able to find one (especially if I'm in pain).

P.S. the specific shape can be adjusted for different areas of the body.

migangelo likes this.
  6. paraganek Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. Czech & Slovak...

Message Count:
    Water bottle, always works great ! :)

Rolling pin.jpg

7. migangelo Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. California -...

Message Count:
    tightness comes from weak opposing muscles. like BL said, you're problem likely lies elsewhere but you notice it in the tight muscles. knee and hamstring are likely to be caused by weak glutes and hip flexors. see if those muscles are engaging. that could fix the problem.

to help with the knots use whatever you have. fist, fingers, rolling pin, pvc pipe, water bottle. using body weight gets deeper than using a stick or rolling pin.

8. Modenacart Barefooters
    1. North Carolina

Message Count:
    I doubt my hip flexures and glutes are weak and causing this problem. The last exercise program I was on was low bar squat based and dead lifts.
  9. Modenacart Barefooters
    1. North Carolina

Message Count:
    Problem I have with my hands are they crap way too soon.

The stick works pretty well. I have found some knots I am working out.