McMillan

flammee

Barefooters
Mar 11, 2012
Finland, Oulu
This looks like nice little calculator...
http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate

It tells you how fast you could run any distance between 1 kilometer - 100 miles (under 1 km times are more like educated guesses) based on your current record time on some distance. It also gives you speeds to use in different type of training runs. As I don't like using heartrate monitor or following any running program or schedule(I like to decide by myself how much I run), this calculator looks like fine tool to use on some of the runs.

For example, I have always thought that intervals should be run on full speed, and calculator says that I should run 400m intervals with 10-20 seconds slower pace than my maximum 1k pace is. Now, that makes intervals actually a lot more comfortable and motivating exercises. More like relaxed dashes with appropriate effort instead of hard effort. Latter has it's own kind of joys, but it's very unmotivating to begin with full effort exercise.. So I have not done intervals for a long time. While I have on some level known that I could run intervals slower than maximum speed, it's better have some given values what speeds are relevant to use, otherwise it seems that I slip from that chosen speed and go try making a record times..

Reactions: joohneschuh
I came across that calculator a few weeks ago. Pretty neat.

You may also try fartleks once in a while instead of strict intervals. They're a lot of fun. Just do what you feel like basically. Like I may start out the first mile or two at 9mm pace. Then do some intervals at 7mm pace for as long as I can, walk a bit to recover in between, then run a bit longer intervals at close to 8mm pace, then do something close to sprinting a couple of times, then finish with a more leisurely 10mm pace back to the starting point, meaning my house or car. Your mood decides what comes next during the run. My (idealized) weekly routine is one fartlek run, one hills run, and one long and steady run per week.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon