marathon training

Hey, Zetti...

You realize those are just his "long" run distances, right?
I actually did and immediately deleted my post....lol
All of the sudden the post made sense....and I felt pretty dumb :oops:

I am currently training for the Honolulu Marathon. I am using Galloway's plan...well, sort of. I am using the plan for the big runs. I have enough running history under my belt and want to improve my time a bit so instead of just 30 minute runs during the week, I am going with half of whatever my "long" weekend run time was. So if it takes me 1:30:00 to run 9 miles on Saturday, then Monday and Wednesday are each 45 minutes. I started it a little late and have been playing catch up, so I have been squeezing out the "short" weekend runs. I should be caught up after this weekend. I do try to run on asphalt, sidewalk, beach, etc. to make sure that I get a good mix of all surfaces to help me build up. I know what most of the course looks like, but you never know what it will be like on race day. hahaha.

I had also been training for the Marine Corps Marathong several years back. I didn't get to run it due to 9/11, but that training plan was something similar. Basically just have one long run every other week and a few short runs in between. You just want to make sure that you have run 26 miles at some point a few weeks before race day. Some plans stop a bit short and only take you to 22 or 23 miles before race day, but I've learned that just doing a distance once makes the next time so much easier. Especially when running barefoot. I think it is both mental and physical.

So I have several levels to my goal for this marathon.

My realistic goal is 4 hours.

My ideal goal is 3 1/2 hours.

My super stud muffin award goal is 3 hours.

Right now my training is hovering between realistic and ideal. Hopefully I can get between ideal and stud muffin soon...hahaha.

I did the Honolulu Half about a decade ago. It seemed nice and pretty easy to me back then. We ran at what I considered at the time a super slow pace of 8 min/mile roughly. I was forced to run this race with my unit and we had to do it in formation while I was stationed there. Goodluck devilnuts!

Run all or most of your runs barefoot particularly your long runs.
I myself never follow a training schedule but since I love running long the weekend run is my favorite run.
Just be careful and don't push it too hard.

All of my runs have been barefoot lately. Had a nice 15 mile run last week. Hope to do an 18 to 20 this weekend at some high altitude.

Rik, how's your training going?

Any tips on recovery after a long run? I am having some muscle soreness after long runs. Mostly calves. Feet have been a little sore, but fine after a day of rest.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon