Less Kyano - evidence that the movement is making inroads?

BFwillie_g

Barefooters
May 17, 2010
Kulmbach, Germany
In a bout of voyeuristic perversity, I was scrolling the Shoe Forum at that other place and opened this thread:

Not the kind of review you normally read

First, these people are the ultimate suckers and I actually feel bad for them! But, I think there's an positive message in there, as well. It's lost on them, of course, but I hope it's a trend.

wow... I want to add... the

wow... I want to add... the conversations in that forum are depressing! :(

And I feel hopeless to help because if I join in and say, you know, those hammer toes were caused by shoes in the first place... I'll just get ragged on and called a hippie.

Edit: ok, I did it and did my best to stay civil:

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/shoes-stuff/shoes/heel-strike-midforefoot-strike/.1

"Hi... just popping in from the BF forum and wanted to add another voice saying that footstrike is irrelevant. And 'we' get a lot more queries on the subject than anyone else. People ask if 'going minimalist' is the best way to develop a healthy footstrike and I answer that they're aproaching it from the wrong direction. You develop a good, healthy, light running style and as a side-effect, your feet will be landing somewhere under your center of gravity and that'll prevent you from heel-striking.
But the heel-strike/mid strike in itself is inconsequential. At most, it's a useful way to analyze other aspects of the running formula.

I want to add something and hope it's taken as the neutral observation it's intended to be: many of the regular posters to this forum run in shoes that are designed to play a very active role in that equation known as 'running form'. It's hard for me to reconcile statements like 'find the most natural form for you' when the person in question is running on a thick bed of eva foam with stiff 'pronation' blocks and other high-tech devises whose sole function is to remove the person from what would come naturally to him or her if it weren't for the shoes. Most of the shoes that get discussed in this forum force a heel-strike. And the only way to truly heel-strike, unless you've got some kind of deformity, is to stretch the leg out in front of the COG. That's called overstriding and it loads the joints with far more stress than necessary. It's the real source of many common running injuries. Unfortunately, very often the answer for people who suffer from the problems caused by the shoes is: you just need 'more' shoe."

Some of the stuff they write

Some of the stuff they write in that forum makes my head explode. I'd love to be able to add another view point to the discussions by saying "You don't need support. There is another way" but the moderators over there seem to just be looking for an excuse to ban BFers...

I can't wait to post up my Invisible Shoes review in the Shoes forum though! =D

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7