Knock Knees

rickwhitelaw

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Beryl Utah
I think I just diagnosed myself as having knock knees. It could be a source of my knee problems. This definition is from http://www.livestrong.com/article/127712-exercises-correct-knock-knees/ "
Knock knees is a term used to describe an inward angle of the thighs when a squat is performed or while standing in a neutral position. This is caused from weak abductor muscles, which are found on the outsides of the hips and thighs. To correct this problem, do abductor-strengthening exercises. The muscles involved with abduction are the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, gluteus minimus and tensor fascia lata."

20 years of telemark skiing probably contributed to this condition. (the pics are not me, I just wanted to find photos of the inward angle of the knee)
images
To make a telemark turn there has to be a lot of inward knee angle and you have to keep your upper legs tight against each other.​
Also, I do a lot of cross country skiing. To generate power when skating, you have to push off with your inside edge. I have given myself a muscle imbalance by doing this.​
images

So now that I know the problem, the next step is to strengthen my abductor muscles to try to align my knees better.​
Does anyone else have this condition and have you done things to improve it?​
Rick W.​

That makes sense to me. If you're skiing a lot, I can see how that could "train" your knees to go inwards.

I do prefer the Classic style. Every trail in our local ski area gets trashed by snowmobiles, so I was doing a lot of hiking up the ski slopes. Traversing and sidestepping and "herringbone style". I just love how light cross country gear is. If I switch to my telemark gear I can put climbing skins on and keep my skis straight. The season is almost over, so I can think about all of this for next year. On a side note, I was a minimalist skier long before a minimalist runner. Maybe that is why comments from the regular skiers or now runners don't bother me. Being the only skier in leather boots at a ski resort is similar to being the only barefoot runner in a race.

Leather boots are my preferred tool for touring, as long as I'm on long skis. I can't make 'em work with my current short, fat skis. Still get 'fried thigh' if I do a lot of Telemarking without a break - parallel turns count as a break ;)

I'd still rather be on my RCS than Tele skis though!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts