just ordered invisible shoes connect huarache kit...

scedastic

Barefooters
Oct 7, 2011
any tips? Advice on either making them or lacing them?
Advice on my first run with them (I've been running bf as much as possible)?
I've never worn, made or tied huraches before.
They will be worn for running on hot pavement when I just can't take the heat, and on flat fine limestone gravel trails that are even but ouchy.
I've been avoiding trails and uneven ground which is still triggering my peroneal tendonitis, so I shouldn't need to worry much about them slipping around except on hills.

Hi Scedastic - I wound up buying a pair of "custom" huaraches as I did not trust myself with scissors. I know that the website has videos that look fairly comprehensive. The video that I reference the most is the lacing video - even though my shoes came laced up, I wound up needing to adjust them a bit (was getting some rubbing on the top of the foot and back around the heel, but I was able to adjust that out). I referenced the tying video because the lacing pattern is not entirely intuitive - at least not to me.

I have the 6mm soles and am shocked at how much I'm able to feel - so you'll still probably be able to feel the gravelly bits, but the stabby feeling on the bottom of your feet should be deadened somewhat.

thanks for the feedback! i expect tying to be a challenge, since i'm fussy about lacing in general, and not good at knot tying in particular. the interwebs will save me.
I actually have ordered a pair of wokova feathers, but they are running 4-5 weeks till arrival, and the pavement is hot now.
(yeah, not good planning on my part)
the gravel bits only bother me when they are very sharp and/or they get stuck in my feet and i feel like i have to stop all the time to pick them out, so i think (hope) the 4mm will work out.

I tried the usual tying method that goes between the toes, and I'm pretty sure my hubby punched the holes correctly, but they still rubbed my so bad they hurt to wear them, so I had him use the alternate tying method, and ever since, whenever I wear them, I don't have any rubbing.

The alternative tying method goes crisscross over the top of your foot, so you punch four holes, two on either side, at the forefoot. I used this video I found on the internet:

Yea, and the extra four holes is no big deal if you decide to go back to the traditional tying method.

I had almost given up huaraches. I had two pairs from Invisble shoes: 4mm Vibram Cherry DIY and 6 mm Connect.

I couldn´t find a tying method that worked for me (but didn´t try the criss-cross method mentioned above). I never felt really comfortable wearing these sandals. Until last week in Munich, when I met two guys with a slightly different take on huaraches:

http://www.nakedshoes.de/

They use a different Vibram sole which is way lighter than the heavy, dense Vibram cherry / Invisible connect soles. It is the Vibram Morflex sole, I guess (almost sure). It has minimal cushioning features and molds a little upwards over time.

Nakeshoes also use a different lacing material. Invisble Shoes laces are too thin, too rigid and too rough on the surface IMO which leads to rubbing, cutting into the skin and a very small margin for errors with the tying.

The nakeshoes´ laces are wider in diameter, the surface is smooth and the material is a little flexible. But not as rubber, think of a woven fabric that you can stretch up to a certain point where it cannot extend further. This works much better as a lacing for huaraches, at least for me. No cutting into the skin, no rubbing, the soles stay tight on the feet without being to tight. For the first time I can forget about the sandals while running :)

I wouldn´t suggest to order nakedshoes though because they are ridiculously expensive. I would suggest to buy the sole-material and find a good thread for the laces whith the features above. Only if you don´t become happy with Invisible shoes, though. I know that many people like them.

A last detail which helped me: Steven Sashen ties the thread coming from the toes straight on the middle of the foot. After watching something on youtube about Tarahumaras I noticed that they all wear the thread more in a diagonal style. This means you have to make the part between the toes and the first hole on the outer side of the foot pretty tight. I found this diagonal style much more convenient (no cutting between the 1st and 2nd toe anymore), even on the Invisible shoes, which found their way into the garbage-bin yesterday.

Reactions: NickW
Can you share a picture of what you are talking about with the diagonal style?

Did they make these for you, or did you buy their kit and make them yourself?

And how much do this cost in USD? I went to the site, but I am at a lost reading German. That would be 59.90 EUR and 75.71 USD? Then shipping to the US? Yikes. You're right though, that lacing looks more comfy and the sole material looks more breathable, for lack of a better word.

DSCN4874.pngDSCN4875.png
Here´s the lacing with I personally like better. It´s exactly the slip-on-slip-off-method which Steven Sashen presents only with the thread coming from the toes tied down pretty tight. This makes it run more diagonally across the top of the foot. The part coming from the inwards side of the ankle is relatively loose.

Nakeshoes.de offer only custom-made huaraches, not do it yourself. I coaxed them into giving me the custom-made sole without holes and without laces for 20 EUR, but this was in the heat of the race-event. I bought the laces from theyr booth separately. You could probably buy a square-meter of the rubber-material + enough suitable thread for the whole family for 75 USD.

DSCN4879.png

BTW, the Vibram Morflex material is really easy to cut, much easier than the more dense rubber. It is something like an extremely dense foam. TJ, I understand that you were searching for a tiny bit of protection with maybe a fraction of cushioning for your tender feet. This might be exactly what you are looking for. I guess it is not as durable as Vibram Cherry or Invisible Connect. But I know of one runner who has already logged over 1000 miles in his first pair of these without any issues.

DSCN4881.pngDSCN4883.pngDSCN4885.pngDSCN4887.png
I´ve made more pictures of the thread. You can see the smoother surface, the larger diameter and the relative flexibility. The thread is somehow hollow. You can stretch it up to a certain point, then it doesn´t extend anymore. I hope this helps to find a similar material. I would search hardware stores, out-door stores...

Here are some numbers to illustrate the weight issue: My pair of 6mm Invisible Connect huaraches including laces weighs 326 grams (11 oz), my pair of the new huaraches including laces and 6mm Vibram Morflex sole weighs 120 grams (4 oz).

Did you get extra laces, 'cuz those are going to wear out.

The laces look oh so comfy. Thanks for the picture.

That's a huge decrease in weight there.

I emailed the company to see if they would be interested in letting us test drive them in exchange for some reviews on our site.

Those laces (and honestly, all the strappy huarache style shoes I've seen) just look like they'd be really uncomfortable. Don't you have to have them pretty snug to keep them on your feet? And then wouldn't they cut into your foot or chafe or something? They just look ouchy. Cool, but ouchy. :)

Liz, I've found it really depends on the type of laces for me for what are ouchy. Invisible Shoes laces really chaffe my skin pretty bad and the hemp laces or leather laces can sometimes tear me up as well. I've found a shoelace type lace feels great and does not bother me at all. The problem with the shoelace though is that it stretches to a degree but I don't mind having to stop occasionally to tighten them back up.

Reactions: pitbullmamaliz
Liz; I had to experiment with laces like Nick. I found that paracord (can be found at outdoors/hardware stores/army surplus stores...its parachute cord) works best for me. No stretch, it is smooth on the skin, and ties really easily.

Reactions: pitbullmamaliz
I found I could run with my Invisible Shoes laces a little loose and not trip myself. It helps with to stop some of the rubbing.

No, I was talking about in the past. Although today, I did manage to walk and run down hills a total distance of 1.82 miles in my new Vibrams. I am posting about this soon in my Dream thread if you would like to know more.

Yay, TJ! May this be the start of real progress!

I just put together the invisible shoes connect and did a 1 mile test run in 93 degree afternoon heat. I tell ya, it was better than bare feet on frying pan hot pavement. No word yet on rubbing. I didn't feel any while running (did the slip/on slip/off modified tie and left it fairly loose), but it's too soon to tell.
Love the look of those other laces. I was thinking paracord (or what about the kevlar lines?) might work. Wouldn't you want some stretch though?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts