Introversion

RunningPirate

Barefooters
Mar 23, 2012
Evenin' Folks -

I did a search and could not find anything on this, so I thought I'd post...

Are any of you introverts? (that you're aware of) I ask this because in a different thread there were some comments about people being put off by other runners that do not return their greetings (understandable). My thought was that I'd return a greeting if I felt like talking which - honestly - is not all the time. In fact, I'd go so far to say that one of the reasons I run (as opposed to playing a team sport) is the ability to not have to deal with (or talk to) other people.

Mind you, I find that as I get older, I fear that my condition might slide from introvert to misanthrope, and I'll start thinking that Dr. House is just too warm and fuzzy. Then I'll move out to the woods and live at the end of a long road lined with increasingly threatening signs warning people off (you know, things like "Turn back now", "You have not business here", "Nothing good will come of this" and finally "Go away and f*** off".

Anyone else experience these thoughts? Or is it just me?

I'll be in my bunker, if you need me.....RP

I always come up as introvert on the Myers-Briggs type indicator but I always greet people I meet on the road, unless they're otherwise engaged, because they're usually the only other ones out there and it seems odd to ignore them. Misanthropy might be related to it but I've gone the opposite direction as I get older.

Textbook INTP here.

Don't sit next to me on an airplane if you like polite chat-chat. It's not that I dislike people, but I find sharing mundane personal information with strangers to be slightly stressfully and very boring. I don't mean to be rude to people, but staring out the window at passing mountains is infinitely more interesting to me than endless yibber-yabber. Motormouth salesman-types are usually looking at the back of my head in short order.

I'm fine with greeting people, and when running, I always smile and acknowledge runners and walkers. Beyond that, though, I rarely make an effort to reciprocate in a conversation. I find wearing headphones is a great excuse for not engaging strangers.

Of course if I've known someone for 5+ years, I probably bug the hell out of them because I won't shut up. I have a tendency to drive in-depth discussions on philosophy, politics, etc.

Now please go away and leave me alone!

Reactions: jldeleon
Introversion/extroversion also vary depending on the company you are in, they are not a fully fixed presonality trait, but more tendencies (according to a friend of my wifes who works in HR and applies a lot of these tests)

I'm also not one for the inane chit chat on an aeroplan, and believe me I have enough time on aeroplanes to do so. I was pleasantly surprised on my last trip though when I started talking to a French fellow next to me. It turned out that he was a now self employed engineer who had previously worked for a company for which I had consulted. We had some shared history/experiences and it was enough to pass an hour between Jakarta and Singapore, but wouldn't have lasted all the way home to London.

I do make a point though of greeting every runner and cyclist passing my way, just a polite nod or wave of the hand will suffice, I'm not trying to start a relationship after all.

Definitely an introvert except, as Dave noted, in very familiar company. I think that's what appeals about running and cycling (or other individual sports/pursuits): I am not required or reliant to be part of a group. I will say I am a friendly greeter when running; it is a common bond with someone and makes them more familiar in some way.

I should add that i'm a born and raised Southern boy, so I am obligated to offer a friendly greeting to most people I pass. Friendly and introverted are not mutually exclusive.

Yep, somewhat introverted here too. I love RP's idea of retiring in the middle of nowhere with warnings on the path to my house. I was just talking to dbf about that last night actually, moving out of the suburbs and to "nowhere" sooner than later. ;)

And although my last personality test said I was more if an INTJ, what Chad describes sounds a lot like me. I'm not much for random chit-chat and I hate sitting next to chatty types on airplanes. I do enjoy social gatherings regardless of whether I know many folks and I tend to be more socially active than an introvert should be. But I do feel awkward when I'm in a whole gathering of strangers and I tend to be more silent and listen than participate in conversations until I get to know people.

Sales people irritate the crap out of me, and I'll shop online and risk paying more for shipping before stepping foot into a store where I'm instantly harassed by people trying to "help" me. I tend to be more rude to these people than I intend to be, too. Just the other day at Ace I snapped at someone just greeting me, because I really just wanted to be left alone to browse, oops.

When running, I'll smile and wave at anyone I pass, runner, walker, bicycle, etc. It feels like the polite thing to do. Doesn't bother me at all if folks don't reciprocate.

I thought barefoot runners were a bunch of attention whores. Oh wait, maybe that's just Jason. ;)

The other Jason. This one is an introvert. You can even ask KenBob about that. We had a rather funny interview at Bayshore the first year I ran it barefoot. KenBob did all the interpreting for me.