I'm done with water shoes Updated - I heart water shoes Sigh.

jschwab

Barefooters
Jun 16, 2010
Four badly sprained toes on my right foot from tripping in those Dicks' water shoes. They are amazing for running but this is my second or third training-killing serious toe sprain from tripping in water shoes. I'm sticking with Bikila's, even if I don't like them as much. Unless I'm barefoot, of course. Protons still rock, of course. I would be willing to pay for seriously nice summer water shoes that were not hazardous, but I have not seen them.

I never liked water shoes,

I never liked water shoes, but what peeves me most about them is the non-foot-shaped toebox and the non-ventilating material. The flexibility of most still beat that of every purpose-built minimalist running shoe. What a sad state of shoes we're in.

The thing is the cheaper

The thing is the cheaper water shoes (not Protons) are very ventilating IMO and are perfect for summer running because of the mesh and the low round ankle. Protons are more protective but they are seriously hot. I am so annoyed. Why can't anyone make a good shoe?

Awww darn! Sorry to hear your

Awww darn! Sorry to hear your news. I stubbed my big toe today, while on my cool down walk of all freaking things. It's really sore and I'm worried I won't make the 5k I'm signed up for on Sun. booo hiss! I hope you heal quickly!!

I like my Teva Sling Kings

I like my Teva Sling Kings with the exception lack of ventilation. Good cool or cold weather footwear option though. I have yet to see a resonably priced pair of water shoes in the aisle of a store that went into my shopping cart. Hope the sprained toes heal quickly for you!

Tripping and hurting your

Tripping and hurting your toes is always a risk with shoes like that, and VFFs too. I ripped my big toe open about a month ago after dragging it on the ground a few times. Never happens in my other shoes...just ones with no toe protection like my VFFs and water shoes.

Heal fast!

Man that sucks, J.  Your poor

Man that sucks, J. Your poor toes have been through a lot lately.

Wow, Cali. That's not good news. I hope you'll be able to make your 5K.

Heal fast, ladies!

I've smacked my toe into

I've smacked my toe into roots on occasion when I forget to lift my feet up on trail runs. The ironic part is I never do this completely barefoot. Normally it is right after I put my bikilas on part way into a run. It hasnt bothered me the next day so I'm not damaging anything but it makes the next mile of running rather painfull.

Despite their toe-crunching

Despite their toe-crunching properties all my research points me to water shoes being the only option for my ten mile race next week. I can't believe how hard it is to find shoes!

Your post is a good reminder

Your post is a good reminder for me. I need to look for new watershoes while they are in stores and before mine fall apart.

I prefer running in huaraches but I love my watershoes for wet or snowy conditions.

As the shape of my foot evolved there are a lot more shapes of watershoes (and shoes in general) that I cannot tolerate. I can't stand pressure on the top of my foot.

The quest for the perfect replacement water shoe shall begin...

Good luck for Broad St . next week.

Go, J, go!  Good luck!

Go, J, go! Good luck!

Thanks, I had a good, but run

Thanks, I had a good, but run in the heat today - trying to be positive. Training in the cold winter for a hot May 1 race is ridiculous, but I do it every year :)

besides the fact that you can

besides the fact that you can buy 7-8 pairs of water shoes for every pair of VFFs, can i ask why you dont just run in VFFs? cost? dont like em? because lets be honest, the VFF is a well made "water shoe."

im just being curious

I haven't run in VFFs in over

I haven't run in VFFs in over a year now, oh wait, I think I tried a few months ago a couple of times when the temps were below 30. When I had tried to wear them to run in on those few occasions, my toes would hurt so bad after about 20 minutes from being pulled apart, er uh, separated in that way. Some people love them, some people can't stand to have their toes separated like that. Shortly after the VFFs started hitting the big time, I kept saying we needed a OneFinger (and I don't mean a middle one either). Finally, it's nice to see other OneFingers hitting the market.

good point TJ.  I CAN'T wear

good point TJ. I CAN'T wear the VFF's because of a) the shape of my feet and b) I have scar tissue between 2 of my toes. I LOVE my Merrell's and can't wait to be able to get the ZEM's for next winter... I use them for work shoes too though, and run a combination of bare and minimal shod..

I do wear VFF's for training

I do wear VFF's for training runs. I have found, though, that if I wear them in a race - or any time running at race pace or tempo pace more than 3 or 4 miles - my toes pinch very badly. There in no lasting blistering or anything - it just hurts bad while I am running (it gets red and welted). That's why the water shoes is a racing issue for me. I've been running in Protons and VFF's all winter but from experience I know the VFF's don't work for me when I go fast for sustained periods.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts