I have no clue what I've done. Opinions please!

Cali Girl

Barefooters
May 12, 2010
On Tues of last week I felt a bit of a twinge in my arch druing my run in VFF's. Took them off half way as I've been doing working up to being completely bare again, and felt much better. Finished my run bare with no issues until afterward when the twinge came back with a bit of discomfort added in. I also stubbed and rolled my big toe on that foot during my cool down walk that day. It actually hurt more than my arch. I figure I sprained it.

Wed - Sat I iced, stretched, rolled and massaged my feet and legs off an on because I was set to run a 5k on Sun. Wasn't sure the toe was going to allow it, but the arch discomfort pretty much disappeared. I thought maybe I was getting a case of PF.

Anyway, I ran the 5k yesterday morning with no issues. Wore my VFF's the whole time. It was cold and my feet were frozen until about mile 2. Brrrrrr. My bare feet just don't do well with the cold. Anyway, I felt good and think I did well although I have no clue yet what my time was. However, within minutes after I finished my arch started letting me know it was unhappy. I gimped to my car where I pulled out the baseball I've been using to stretch it and sat for like 10 min doing so. Then I came home and iced it off and on while doing my normal routine of chores, grocery shopping etc.

This morning it is very tender and I have a good amount of rebound pain when I lift my foot to take the next step. I have noticed that just up from my arch, where that bony protrusion is just below and forward of the ankle bone, I am swollen and when I palpate that is where the arch pain originates, I believe. I hadn't noticed the area swollen before or even sore, probably because I don't roll there.

So, any ideas? Does a case of PF go up on the side of the foot like that? I'm going to continue to do what I was before the run as far as self treatment goes, but was wondering if anyone else has had anything similar and if so what did you do, how long did it last, can I still run or should I sit it out until it feels better?

Thanks in advance!

I think PF can go up the

I think PF can go up the sides of the foot, but this seems like a case for Dr. N. I will forward your post to him to see what he thinks.

Done.  I'll let you know when

Done. I'll let you know when he responds.

Cali, that sounds a lot like

Cali, that sounds a lot like my posterior tibial tendon issues and it does go from lower leg to the arch of your foot (and across the protrusion you are talking about). I hope it's not serious either way, but make sure you continue to rest it. If it's PTT, you are better off staying off of it completely if you can (at least in my case, which was a pretty good tear - but not bad enough for surgery (hopefully, still waiting to fully heal)).

Not trying to scare you, but google the PTT and see if your symptoms are closer to that than PF.

Good luck with it, in any case!

@hmduey-- Hmmm. I've been

@hmduey-- Hmmm. I've been reading on PTT. The area sounds like exactly where I'm having pain but that is pretty much it. I don't really have much pain applying pressure to my foot. Mine is more of a rebound pain, when I then lift my foot to take another step. I also feel better if I walk on my toes on that foot, no rebound pain then. No issues standing either so not sure.

I've decided to stay off of it as much as possible and didn't even go to yoga classes this week. I'm going freaking crazy already. Ging to have to find something exercise-like to do. ugh!

Thank you for your help. I'm going to read more.

Doc has responded, and this

Doc has responded, and this is what he says:

Part of what you're describing sounds like plantar fasciitis, but the fact that is "swollen" leads me to think it could be more than just inflammation of a ligament. With most plantar fasciitis, people do not relate swelling, only pain. On close inspection there may be some swelling but not enough that most people notice.

Given that you have actual swelling, it could be plantar fasciitis WITH another problem or strictly something more ominous. Perhaps, a stress fracture or bone bruise, or a tear of the plantar fascia.

It sounds like you need to start by getting an x-ray and ruling out a fracture. I hope this helps.

Sounds like a trip to get

Sounds like a trip to get some x-rays are in order (or an MRI). I hope it heals quickly for you no matter what it is! I'm still trying to ease back into running and the layoff of three months has nearly killed me. If could have run on my hands, I would have. ;-)

Thank you TJ and Dr N! I am

Thank you TJ and Dr N! I am happy to say that although I still have a bit of swelling my discomfort/pain is pretty much gone with only a twinge here and there. I am still not planning on running just yet though. Will probably try resuming yoga classes next week and some short walks and see what that does. Going to play it by ear.

Thanks again!

Okay, Cali, keep us posted.

Okay, Cali, keep us posted.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7