Hydration, Gels and energy bars for a diabetic

can you use any real foods instead of that fake stuff? dates are great for me but i don't know how they would affect you. look into going paleo. i've read a lot of people get rid of their diabetes that way.

Reactions: rbondi
+1 to Mark and Mike! I'm training for my 5th marathon and decided it was high time to start trying out real food instead of relying on gels and sports drinks. Best decision ever! Below is a recipe for a homemade gel that I found on the "No Meat Athlete" blog. By itself it was a little to thick and sweet for me, but I mixed it with chia gel (half and half) and found it much easier to eat. Also, Bf_Willie suggested trying avacados and sweet potatoes and I love both! I tend to have problems chewing while I run, so the mushy consistency is definitely a huge plus for me. Just slather a couple of small (4-5") tortillas with about a tablespoon of one or the other, drop them in a zip-lock and you're good to go.

Here's the link for the gel recipe, but there are also TONS of other good recipes on that site (and I'm not even a vegetarian! :p)
http://www.nomeatathlete.com/thrive-energy-gel-recipe/

I don't know what is suitable for a 'diabetic' but I say real food also. In fact, enough real food(in your lifestyle, not just for running) and you just may stop calling yourself a 'diabetic' some day. Look into vegan also. I will have to try the avocado for long runs. It is my favorite daily food but I never thought to try it for running.

On a side note, you might want to refer to yourself as someone with a diabetic condition rather than label yourself a diabetic. The medical industry has trained us well with their labels. It is good for business. There are many alternatives for many conditions but the industry does what it can to protect its profits.

Hammer makes a calorie free electrolyte powder ( Endurolytes ) you can add to water or caps you can take on the run. Aside from that how far are you running and how long? You may not really need gu type stuff unless you are going 10+ miles. At least for me around mile 11 or 12 is where a homemade gu is very nice. But a few months ago I would have thought 3 miles :). As you run more and force yourself to not use them the better. I ran 18 (my longest yet) this Saturday and just used one GU. That was mainly because someone waved it under my nose and I couldn't say no to is guey goodness..

Hi guys thanks for your replies, I have been offline for a bit due to work. I am type 2 and on tablets. I am coming to the conclusion that wherever possible real food needs to be the answer. I am currently running up to 10k at down to 8:30 min/mile, however, I am going to start building the distance as I am aiming to do a few halfs and at least one marathon next year. I even fancy trying an ultra and mountain type events. Minimal running has re-invigorated my running at the age of 50 and having been out of running for some 18 years.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon