How long should I wait between workouts

Santi

Barefooters
May 15, 2011
I'm a few weeks into my barefoot transition. I've been taking it slow, so I have no acute injuries to worry about, but my legs are sore (all in the soleus). I massage them with a rolling pin and stretch. Currently I run every other day. I've noticed that some bodybuilding sites reccomend at least 48 hours of rest. How many rest days should I have between runs?

I aim for every other day if

I aim for every other day if there is no unusual soreness, but just listen to your body. Better to take 2 or 3 days off to rest something strained than to develop a serious injury that takes months to heal. That being said I walk a lot regardless of whether or not I excercise strenuously.

I think we can all handle

I think we can all handle different amounts of rest. I've been doing a lot of back-to-back runs, sometimes three days in a row, an occasional 4 days, but I remember at the beginning of spring, when many of us were coming out of hibernation, I was only running every other day or every two or three days. I'm doing fine.

I would say if you feel like you need to rest, then please do so. If you feel like you can add an extra run in, then give it a try. If you are unsure, make it a short run. Just listen to your body, and do what you think is best. I know this sounds so generic, but I think it's good advice.

Barefoot TJ wrote:I would say

Barefoot TJ said:
I would say if you feel like you need to rest, then please do so. If you feel like you can add an extra run in, then give it a try. If you are unsure, make it a short run. Just listen to your body, and do what you think is best. I know this sounds so generic, but I think it's good advice.

Thanks y'all. I should have known you were gonna say that. After all it's great advice. Really, I wanted a precise answer, but reallife is rarely that black and white. I think I'll take a couple days off. Hopefully I'll get used to this uncertainty and always having to listen to your body. It seems like BF running is pushing me in ways I never imagined it would.

What's cool about listening

What's cool about listening to your body is when you wake up in the morning, you get out of bed, you stretch and either say, I think I can go for a run, or forget it, I'm lounging today; it doesn't really require following some plan or specific routine.

I now control my running instead of my running controlling me. What I mean is I've moved past the training plans, the what am I going to wear today that matches my shoes, the MP3 player, the water hydration pack, the GPS, the HRM. I just run when I feel like it.

Santi wrote:Really, I wanted

Santi said:
Really, I wanted a precise answer, but reallife is rarely that black and white. I think I'll take a couple days off. Hopefully I'll get used to this uncertainty and always having to listen to your body. It seems like BF running is pushing me in ways I never imagined it would.

I was just thinking--in the midst of being frustrated because of listening to my body and opting to push back a 10k yesterday and then deciding to skip it alltogether today on this beautiful morning--about how much easier it's gotten since I first switched to BF to know when it's time to rest and when it's ok to go out for another run. I've only been at it for seven months now, but I have to say, it's a very cool thing! :)

However, I should probably qualify that by pointing out that it's one thing to know your body is telling you to take it easy, but it's a completely different thing to actually take the break! For the first six monthis I was only running three times a week. Then three weeks ago I started adding a fourth run, which I think is what's making me take today off. However, the problem was more the fact that didn't cut back mileage from my other runs when adding an additional run, and less that fact that I ran a couple days back-to-back. I could feel it when the mileage started to build up and the ends of runs, but I didn't want to listen.

So yes, you will get used to listening! It'll probably come faster than you think! Then the question is, will you actually do what your body is telling you? ;)

Early on, I'd recommend every

Early on, I'd recommend every other day, 3 days per week, with one 2-day break. For me, that meant running Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and taking Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays off. I swim and hit the elliptical on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but at age 43, I find that the 2-day weekend break lets me heal any minor damage and consolidate any gains that I might have made through the week. As I believe you are younger, you may be able to push harder without damage, but I'd start with this plan. If you feel great, add in a little bit at a time until your body provides "slow down" feedback.

I used to like running every

I used to like running every day, but lately I've just been running once a week. But I make sure that one run is a really good one. And then there are the non-runs, like sprinting across the street to avoid traffic, accepting a racing challenge from my son, and running to make sure I can catch a ride on my way to work in the morning.

I think it's really important to learn to listen to what your body is telling you. There are different kinds of soreness. You need to learn which ones are okay, and which ones are warning signs.

Part of learning to run barefoot is to learn to run gently. If you are running gently enough, it should be as easy on your body as walking. There is this popular perception that running is hard on the body. Only if you are doing it wrong.

If you're still sore after a

If you're still sore after a full day of rest you should try going for a short slow run. Sometimes my muscle soreness dissapears after a slow recovery run.

I agree with Phil on the 3

I agree with Phil on the 3 times a week for starters. Now 17 months into BFR, I run 6 days a week with usually 2 inbtween runs only being 1 mile. It works out to 1. Speed Day 2. 1 miler 3. Moderate 4. Moderate 5. 1-miler 6. Long Run 7. off/Yoga

That's what works for me right now. Lots of those 1 miler days I have some soreness or feet sensitivity but the 1 mile tends to loosen me up and aid with my stretching and rolling I do everyday. I didn't start this regiment till after I completed my first BF Marathon and have really found my groove with this workout since about March.

I find that if I want to

I find that if I want to build my body up to anything, then I have to do the activity at least twice a week. Three times a week is much better. Once a week will maintain a level but not get it any better.

I still go by "Listen to your

I still go by "Listen to your Body", cause everyone is different and each day is a different challenge. My wife runs 3 days a week, but I have a very hard time laying off. I've had weeks that I ran 6-7 times, sometimes twice in a day on top of lifting twice a week, spin class on Wed and chasing my son up and down the street while he learns to ride his bike. My only hard and fast rules are, if I can't get loose, I don't go and I never stretch cold(I also don't do static streatching for a dynamic activity, except at the end). Beyond that I just taylor my run by how I feel, if I'm pushing it or a recovery pace.(not that fast guys can tell which I'm doing! LOL)

Pain sux, so I just try to make sure all my runs are fun! I'm still new, too, but it's worked so far.

-Jonny

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts