Homemade no-sew, closed-toe minimalist shoes

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
I made some shoes today! I'm excited about wearing these this winter. The idea wasn't to make running shoes, though I may actually try them for that depending how snugly they end up fitting on my heels once the glue is all cured and I've "broken them in." But what I wanted was some casual, closed-toed shoes that would be really minimalist and comfortable...of course with a nice, wide toebox.

Below are some photos, and I've posted a detailed instructional with all the (fairly simple) instructions, on my blog.

Yeah, definitely a unisex

Yeah, definitely a unisex style, Abide! Hope they turn out great; be sure to post a photo after you've made them.

jschwab wrote:Can I pay you

jschwab said:
Can I pay you to make some for me?

Hmm...maybe! But I want to wear these first and see how they hold up. If they're coming apart next week, I'll know I need to do some refining. :) Thanks for asking! I'll let you know how they're doing once I've had more a chance to be out and about with them.

My other concern would be getting them fitted right. I was able to fit these perfectly for my feet. Anyone have ideas of how they could be made without having someone's foot right there? I mean, a foot tracing is great, but doesn't tell me how "tall/thick" your foot is, etc.

Thank for the idea, I like

Thank for the idea, I like the shape. I will try to make a similar pair but I want to sew instead of gluing. I will post my pictures here when I'm done.

I've made a few pairs of shoes/slippers with leather sole and wool top (http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephdith/5006044142/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephdith/5005433603/) Now I want to try a 100% leather model. I bought an old pair of black leather pants so I have plenty of soft leather to work with.

How do you keep the back tight enough? Does the leather strech while you wear it?

sloutre wrote:How do you keep

sloutre said:
How do you keep the back tight enough? Does the leather strech while you wear it?

I'm not sure; I just made them today. So...time will tell!!

I think sewn ones would look awesome. Either hand- sewn with leather cord or just with heavy thread on a sewing machine. Looking forward to seeing them.

You are multi-talented, Beth.

You are multi-talented, Beth. They look great!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts