Homemade/Handmade and jury-rigged shoes and gear thread

They work pretty good I run

They work pretty good I run in them both on the concrete and on the grass. I used them on this hike and bike trail that had some decent rolling hills and switched from the gravel road and the grass with no problem. Didn't even have to retie them as they stayed on throughout the 4 mile run. You can pretty much feel the ground under you. The material I bought is pretty durable. I haven't gone too long a distance bare footing though so I am by no means an expert. But I just did 4 miles in them pretty comfortably. And huaraches are the ultimate foot wear if u want to show off your feet or just to see the weird looks you would get wearing them. My brothers saw me in them and were like it looks like you can't afford shoes or why can't you use less conspicuous laces? But I find them pretty cool looking.

You could hippiefy them by

You could hippiefy them by adding fringe and feathers. Make 'em really look. ;-)

Pictures, please.

Pictures, please.

I wasn't kidding.   In

I wasn't kidding. ;)

DSC02045-1.jpg

In truth, though, the white lacing (crochet chain-- I figured I'd use stuff I had on hand) was dirty-looking as soon as I pulled it through the soles, so I switched to royal blue for the second one:

DSC02047.jpg

That looks pretty good, Mrs.

That looks pretty good, Mrs. Deplume. I never could learn how to knit or crochet. I am all thumbs, I guess.

Jimmy Hart wrote:I'm curious

Jimmy Hart said:
I'm curious how thick the baler belt is. Anyone have a measurement on it?

According to my tape measure, it's just about 4.5mm.

Also adding that the yarn' didn't hold up very well-- not that I thought it would.

thanks for the info.  i made

thanks for the info. i made a pair of tire hurraches this weekend and man are they heavy. 17mm and just over a pound each! i'm gonna do some cutting in half soon to lighten them up a bit but i really like wearing them. only issue is the weight is too much for the leather laces i used but i can see how the tarahumara like them.

And they're PINK!  Yeah!

And they're PINK! Yeah!

those are nice wendy.  i was

those are nice wendy. i was at walmart yesterday and picked up a pair of two dollar flip flops that are only 8mm thick. i also grabbed a $2 pair of 72" laces, came home and made a seriously cheap pair of casual hurraches. they are thicker than anything that's been put in here and i did that on purpose as i tend to like something a little thicker after long runs to give the bottoms of my feet a rest. they were super easy to make as all i had to do was remove the rubber straps that were there and i had pre cut holes to run the laces through. literally took me ten minutes and i was out the door in them.

BFWendyBird wrote:I had only

BFWendyBird said:
I had only spent 50 cents on the sole

What did you buy for the sole, Wendy?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon