Help

TPayne

Barefooters
Aug 10, 2010
I decided to do my first barefoot run. It was great for the first minute and a half but then i developed blisters on my feet and now it is painful to walk. What did I do wrong? Or is it just going to be a process of tearing up my feet and letting them heal until I develop the toughness to sustain more than a minute and a half? Thanks for the advice

Depends on where the blisters

Depends on where the blisters are. Pretty sure there is a neat picture on this forum somewhere that gives the most common reason for blisters in certain locations. But the answer is probably that you push off.

Like C-Dog says, when you're

Like C-Dog says, when you're trying to figure out why knowing the location of the blister is key. Until I do I'll share how last summer was for me. I started running barefoot at the end of June and pretty much every run I'd get a blister or two on each foot. This continued for a month or so as I tried correcting the problems I had with my form. The blisters I got were mostly on the balls of my feet at the rear end of them behind the big toes. I also got blisters on the tips of my middle toes a few times. Both of these locations are typical for pushing off too much. Generally, if the blisters form on the rear part of the ball, you're pushing off. If they're on the front half, you're doing something wrong with your landing, probably twisting it or sliding a bit as it comes down. Anyway, by mid-September my blister problems were gone except for the time I decided to run 9 miles barefoot on a treadmill. It took my feet about a week to recover from that one. :p

Been there done that.

Been there done that. ;) Welcome!

The blister is on the ball of your foot right behind the big toe. That is my guess. Now you get to listen to your feet. They will toughen up a little but more so they will teach you how to run efficiently and effectively. They are your best coaches.

As stated, you probably are pushing off. focus on fast cadence, 22-23 left foot steps every 15 seconds is close. Be mindful of pulling your foot not pushing off the ground with your feet. Run with your knees bent, bent enough that it feels odd. And Relax relax relax

Read Barefoot Ken Bobs website and advice here.

I agree with Lava; Ken Bob's

I agree with Lava; Ken Bob's running advice is what has been helping me learn to lift my foot. The bent knees have been KEY for me. It feels weird at first and makes the calves hurt even more than they might already be hurting :) but you will adjust to it. I've been focusing on the bent knees for 2 or 3 weeks, and it feels pretty natural now.

Everyone else has pretty much

Everyone else has pretty much covered what I had to say except...were you running on hot pavement? And yes, blisters are a normal part of the learning curve as far as I'm concerned. We all got them in the beginning. No one is a perfect barefoot runner right out of the gate...or right out of the shoes in our case. Your soles will eventually condition enough to where you will amaze yourself at what terrain you can cover. That conditioning normally takes place right about the time you stop blistering too. ;-)

I dunno, I haven't really

I dunno, I haven't really gotten blisters except on one toe - the old pushing off problem - when I have a weakened gait (from a pelvic injury) but that has never happened being actually bare. One thing you should consider is your shoes might cause some callousing (BF will not in my experience) and you need to take care of your feet with a fie or pumice. I do this on a regular basis because callousing is what allows the blisters to form, but hubby does not. He's always getting all kinds of cuts and blistering and roughness - I finally convinced him that my nightly footbath and lotionfest was serving me well. I don't like open skin.

How long a transition did you

How long a transition did you have before tackling a half marathon barefoot? Your plantar skin might not have been ready for it just yet, esp if it was hot pavement like TJ said. That stuff can be brutal. Watch for too much pushoff too like the others mentioned.

No, Zum, TPayne said a minute

No, Zum, TPayne said a minute and a half, not a half marathon. Hee.

Well, a half marathon in a

Well, a half marathon in a minute and a half would be a pretty good cause for blisters though, wouldn't it? 8)

Yes, it would. 

Yes, it would. ;-)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts