Hello from Wales, UK

beardy68

Barefooters
Aug 8, 2013
Hi Everyone
I have always, as far back as I can remember, walked around house and garden barefoot. Apart from work I wear merrel sandals rest of the time. Due to achillies pain I stopped running a fews years ago. As is often the case I hear, I read born to run and felt a buz again. In january thjs year started fo run using merrel road gloves. Had to periodically stop due to calf pain. Found this forum and read about calf injuries and now understand where I went wrong. TMTS as you say.
I am happy to say I went out today and put my merrels in a backpack and took the dog ( my running mate ) out for a barefoot run /walk. Managed about 100feet running on tarmac twice with merrels on rest of time.
Big smile on my face.
Wife and kids at door when I got back, to see if I was ok was a picture.
Looking forward to the chatter on here.

Welcome! Feel free to join the UK Chapter (Chapters link above). :barefoot:

I am 45 in a couple if weeks and would love to really give BF a good shot but how do you deal with the pain when unavoidably stepping on a piece if gravel etc. Do you feet desensitise.

no. your fat pads get thicker. you learn to relax. your form gets better. you pay attention but do still step on things you didn't see. when the arch hits something, that's the worst.

Part of it is your brain just getting used to the sensation, as well. When you have been shod for so long, it's natural that suddenly feeling much stronger sensations gets interpreted as pain - after a while you brain learns that no bad consequences follow the 'stepping on gravel' feeling so it ignores them the same way your ears ignore noises that are common in your environment and sewage workers get used to the smell!

I'm also new to this and I'm really impressed at how fast my legs react when I step on something like a stone hidden in grass - before I can even consciously process an ouch, my ankle and knee kind of collapse to unweight that foot, like a crumple zone. The worst thing I find is if a piece of gravel sticks to your foot so you tread on it a second time; I think somehow those nerve endings have already fired so your foot doesn't react properly the second time round and you end up treading on it full weight.

Thankyou so much, really helps with confidence.
Just been our for walk/ run with kids and dog. Took my merrel road gloves. Part way went BF and ran walked rest half mile. Taking things easy, rolled my calves with 4inches of pvc pipe found in my workshop. Satisfaction.
I think my wife thinks i am nuts tho.

Reactions: dharmadan
Whereabouts in Wales are you Beardy? I'm in Monmouthshire

Enjoying my running again using merrell road gloves and a bit barefoot.

Welcome to the group. I started with Minimus Trails, then VFF, now Sockwa and barefoot. Still learning to run

Hadn't heard of sockwa so did some research. Bought a pair from barefoot britain and went for a run last night. Thankyou. I had a perfect run. Didn't stop once. Could adjust my footfall as I went. Felt the road enough but not too much for now. Had more energy reserves which surprised me. Aching a bit today in calves but very happy. Cheers for mentioning sockwa.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
You're very welcome Beardy. Glad you like them. Did you get the X8? I've requested a pair from the wife for my birthday next month

Yeah x8 . No problem in wet. Didnt like the feel walking around at home while deciding ti keep them but as soon as I was out ghe house, all fine.
Cheers again

Great. (The G3 can get a little sweaty and smelly)

Should mention tho that I had to cut my toe nails very short before I ran. Shorter than usual. I am no caveman by the way. The seam kept catching the nails. Whether a slightly longer pair of x8 would be better for car etc but running - no trouble at all

Reactions: paulbeales

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon