Hello from CT

Paul Stansel

Barefooters
Feb 3, 2013
Hey gang, found my way over here from another site. I decided 8 months ago that I was short, fat, and balding. Can't help the short and balding, so I tackled the fat. I am down over 60 pounds so far but I have another 40 to go before I am really comfortable. In that time I picked up running again for the first time since I left the Army 15 years ago. I was medically booted due to multiple, multiple stress fractures. My legs were on fire 24x7, and honestly I was scared of running after that.

This time around I have tried to be much smarter about running and hve tried to work on my form, my leg strength, etc; It's paying off so far and I have my first Half ever on March 23rd. All that said though, I have worn shoes. And even with buying those EXPENSIVE shoes, icing my legs, compression strockings, working on my stride and stremgth and turnover, I am a nasty heal striker and my shin splints have flared up. In looking for a solution to them I finally read Born to Run and from there, like so many others, found my way to the Barefoot community.

Coincidentally Woot offered a great sale on Vibrams a few weeks back so I greabbed a pair. I have been working on foot strength and using them for a ton of walking lately. I would like to go all the way bare eventually but let's be honest, there's snow on the ground in Connecticut this time of year. And I am nowhere near ready for that :)

Way to go, Paul! Just take the transition slow and steady, giving your feet plenty of time to acclimate and strengthen. Walking and going barefoot around home are great ways to do that, and the vibrams can be a great tool. Just don't come to rely on them too much, and don't let them fool you into thinking you're ready to run farther and faster than your truly bare feet would advise you to do. This from a formerly stupid transitioner who stress-fractured the 3rd metatarsal head in my left foot by doing exactly what I'm cautioning you against. Enjoy, and we're glad to have you here. Former Army also, left about the same time, I now work as a consultant for the Army after a 14-year exile to the corporate world.

Reactions: happysongbird
Welcome, Paul. I love your story! Be sure to join the Connecticut Chapter through the Chapters link above.

Yep, chapter joined although we seem to be a quiet bunch :) Slow jogged about a half mile the other day in my Vibrams and gave myself a serious hotspot on my heel. Switching back to my Sauconys yesterday for 4 miles felt weird.

Hi Paul, welcome. Congrats on your weight loss. So a word of caution from a guy that has done many wrong things. Decide on the race (your half) or being barefoot. As much as I want you to ditch your shoes immediately, with a race coming up, you might want to hold off. Transition takes time and patience. Switching from shoes, to VFFs, to barefoot, is going to cause some major confusion, mentally and physically. Walking and short distances are fine, but what you might find is you like it so much that you will want to do more and maybe even thoughts of doing the half in the VFFs has entered your mind. My advice, do the half in the shoes, have fun, and after start the journey barefoot.

Rick W.

Hah, yes... I am not going to try for my first half barefoot! I am just trying to enjoy building up my foot/calf strength and working on my form. I figure better form will help me regardless of shoes or not. Looking at my race schedule, realistically I think it will be June before I have enough time to really transition fully. Got my Half on March 23rd and then a double down (5k+Half) on May 5th.

I have also found the last few sessions with my trainer at the gym wearing the Vibrams has given me a better sense of stability on my squats and lunges. I'd go barefoot but they really don't like that idea :)

Got on the treadmill bareoot and did 5 minutes. I really am having a hard time finding the form. Maybe it's because I am on a treadmill and not truly outdoors, or maybe it's because it was so cold on my porch that my feet were getting a bit numb :) Every once in a while I felt like I nailed it exactly and said "Aha!" But just as fast I lost it. I tried to envision the piston motion but I'm still managing to heal strike. Need to go back and rewatch Ken Bob's videos, somewhere I am missing it. Body wanted to keep going, mind said don't overdo it!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon