Going from a caffeine rich diet to a caffeine free diet. Effects on running?

Kudzu80

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
I used to take in enough caffeine to give a strong horse a coronary. 3 - 24oz cups of dark roast/french press coffee and usually a Monster Energy (or two). I recently quit caffeine cold turkey. I was lucky to only suffer two days of withdrawal symptoms and boy were they bad.

I went out running today, first time out since I quit, and I had to stop probably three times just in the first mile. I ended up doing 3.25 miles but I had to stop many times to catch a breather before I went any further. I can usually do 4 miles with just quick breather in between.

Anybody else ever dealt with this?

I haven't, but I would expect

I haven't, but I would expect your body needs some time to adapt. Maybe go a little slower for the next couple weeks and see how it feels.

Especially if you drank one

Especially if you drank one of your coffees before a run, you're definitely going to notice a difference in performance. Caffeine improves endurance performance don't you know. That's why it's in every energy product on the market.

Are you experiencing

Are you experiencing headaches at all? Maybe there is some other natural supplement you can try to replace the caffeine but still give you the boost?

I was unaware of the

I was unaware of the muscular/endurance effect of coffee. I thought it just woke you up, never questioned why or how until recently. I expected maybe a slight change for better or worse right out of the gate when it comes to running, but not that much. My GPS informed me that in 3.25 miles I had to stop 13 times to recover myself. It was like I had never even run before. Just crazy.

I experienced a slight headache but mainly just a pressure/flushed feeling all over my big ole skull. I was very lucky to only have 2 days of noticeable withdrawal symptoms but they were hard core!

I'd rather not get a substitute for the caffeine. The physical addiction doesn't take long to break at all, about 1 to 3 weeks, and I'd rather not crutch myself up.

I gave up caffeine for 2

I gave up caffeine for 2 pregnancies. Not fun. My caffeine intake, at it's max, includes a couple French Press pots in a day. You, sir, consumed an astonishing amount of caffeine!

I wasn't a runner at the times I've given up caffeine. Since I was pregnant each time, I was going through so many physical changes there's no telling how much to attribute to the caffeine.

But there's no doubt the effects you're feeling during your run are related to your body adjusting to the lack of caffeine. You'll get through it. Hang in there! Kudos to you for going cold turkey and making the change.

Peace,

Karen

Is there any chance you have

Is there any chance you have exercised-induced asthma? I do - and caffiene supposedly makes this better. I need to use an inhaler for the colder seasons. Haven't been using it all summer, though, which has been nice. If you really have exercised induced asthma, the inhaler will work much better than coffee.

Hey Silly, that's what Nature

Hey Silly, that's what Nature Runner just found out he had, right? I wonder if he was taking a lot of caffeine then quit.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Hey Silly,

Barefoot TJ said:
Hey Silly, that's what Nature Runner just found out he had, right? I wonder if he was taking a lot of caffeine then quit.

Actually I was drinking about 5 cups a day til the warm weather started then quit it all at once. I just recently started back up two weeks ago and I will keep you posted on the results. I never thought about caffeine making you breath better. I feel and breath better at work after a half pot of coffee. I been having a hard time breathing since the end of winter and after I quit it. I never thought about the caffeine? It gets up close to 120 degrees in the summer here in the plant I work in. I hate the extreme hot temps here. Makes breathing ten times more difficult! It's getting cooler now back down in the mid to upper 80's yay!

Barefoot TJ wrote:Hey Silly,

Barefoot TJ said:

Yes, it was called restrictive airway disorder due to exerting oneself during excercise. So, I guess it's the same or similar?

Sounds like Silly may have

Sounds like Silly may have hit upon something by tying the caffeine together with your breathing problems.

I guess so.  Whodathunkit?

I guess so. Whodathunkit?

Do you guys have the same

Do you guys have the same problems while nose breathing? I get a lot less winded when I do but then again, I don't have anything even remotely similar to asthma.

Blind Boy wrote:Do you guys

Blind Boy said:
Do you guys have the same problems while nose breathing? I get a lot less winded when I do but then again, I don't have anything even remotely similar to asthma.

My breathing was the same no matter what I tried. I am doing much, much better now that I am using the inhaler, but still not in full swing of my breathing like I would like to be. I think my workplace may be partly to blame as well. I am constantly exposed to pvc dust all day long 12 hr shifts a day. It's in the air constantly. It makes my throat sore and keeps my eyes red (without the left handed cigarrettes) drug free, just thought I would clear that up before assumption were made lol! But, I have gots to have a job. Plant working is a hard life, can't wait to get out of college.

Dunno what nature runner

Dunno what nature runner has.

According to my understanding, EIA isn't "real" asthma - it's more like a repetitive stress injury from exercising in the cold. Some people can't naturally "wet" their airways enough when they exercise - which is a huge problem in the winter when the overall humidity is low. The body's next best defense is to release histamine and essentially cause a runny nose to wet the airways. But the histamine causes the airways to constrict as well.

An absurd proportion of competitive cross-country skiiers, biathletes, and figure skaters have EIA.

I always bring it up when people say they are "out of breath". If you've attained a basic level of fitness, I think you should just be able to slow down to catch your breath.

Anyhow, the inhaler works like magic - but only works if you have EIA or real asthma. Coffee works much less well.

NR, can't you wear a mask

NR, can't you wear a mask when you are working at the plant? Man that can't be good for the lungs.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7