Getting confirmation that an event has barefoot friendly terrain and officials

I am working on a calendar of events to support barefoot running on Siesta Key, Florida. I am on a steep learning curve. What have chapter leaders and others done to ensure that an event run by another group is "Barefoot Runner Friendly" in that the terrain works and the officials allow for barefoot runners? Thanks in advance for your help.

I have an extremely limited

I have an extremely limited experience but here are my thoughts:

For my 1st trail I emailed the race director and asked for info about the course. It is supposed to help me determine if I will run barefoot or minimalist. (I didnt decide yet and may do a combination of Merrell + barefoot). For a road race I just assume it's OK, even if some sections may be less pleasant. For mud runs...I don't know. In any case, I just ask for info. I won't mention I consider runnign barefoot, I won't ask them to make the course more barefoot happy.

Then on race day just show up, sign the waivers, get to the starting line and go. Officials may not notice that you're barefoot until the end. Chance are they don't care. Last timethe race director noticed as I passed the finish line and created a special award for me. It was a very small and friendly race.

I think if you ask ahead of time they may see that as a potential problem and think about it too much. Since most people have no idea of what a bare foot can accomplish they may think their course is not doable without shoes.

If you have race instructions ahead of time and it specifies that shoes must be worn, like they did for that Merrell Down and Dirty then you may have a problem.

I think the best way to promote barefoot running is to run barefoot. People will notice and see it in a good light. If they hear about it too much they may get scared and defensive, if they see a happy barefoot runner they may make their race more barefoot friendly next year.

This is what I do (if

This is what I do (if possible):

• Scout course before race to determine barefoot-friendliness
  • Refrain from contacting any race official. Better yet, volunteer for another race the race director directs, or help out with race set-up. Get to know them personally.
  • On race day, hide the fact you're barefoot until race time. I use crappy slippers. Race officials won't notice.
  • Run race, smile a lot. This "proves" the race can be run barefoot.
  • After the race, contact the race director (your new friend) about "certifying" the race as barefoot-friendly. Mention how it will help assure all your local barefoot friends will run the race next year.
It is ALWAYS better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission, and you attract more flies with honey than vinegar.
wink_smile.gif

On a related note, why would you want to attract flies??? That's a dumb saying...

Hi Warren,Yes he does and I

Hi Warren,

Yes he does and I appreciate the rest of the barefoot band giving input. This why I so appreciate what TJ has put together. Thanks again for posting on the Florida site for us.

+1 to what sloutre and lpj

+1 to what sloutre and lpj said. If you ask somebody who's "responsible" they are going to start getting paranoid and making up rules before they even know anything. Also, race officials, who haven't experienced running barefoot, won't be qualified to even tell you if a course is barefoot friendly.

Whereas just doing it with a smile is its own evidence.

Yes, just show up and run

Yes, just show up and run with a smile. That is always the best course of action.

And don't forget, we have the Course Reviews section on the site, I would like to encourage everyone whose ever run a race barefoot anywhere to rate their course, and that goes for non-race courses too.

Marc, are you reconsidering a

Marc, are you reconsidering a CP role, sounds like it. :)

Is it important to get the

Is it important to get the beach certified as BF-Friendly? I would think that this might put the Chamber of Commerce into a bad spot, as others above have suggested.

If they get the whiff of liability in their nose, they will become cautious. Taking a decision means taking responsibility for the consequences of that decision. Hence, the very act of them declaring it BF-Friendly means that they are officially approving it, which amounts to them taking some degree of responsibility.

I am firmly of the opinion, it is best to leave all things barefoot un-certified, un-legislated etc.

We will see the day, alas, when race directors, or city officials, or "concerned citizens" start making rules against barefoot running. Some may even do it out of spite for having had their world turned upside down.

Let sleeping dogs lie, at least until we're far enough down the road. (But, come to think of it, those sleeping dogs don't wear shoes either.)

Cheers,

Paleo

Thanks all for your input. I

Thanks all for your input. I appreciate your wisdom. Yes TJ I am ready to start a CP role for Sarasota/Siesta Key. It makes sense just to start by providing opportunities for current barefoot runners to enjoy running together and then grow organically over time under the radar. I will have more time later to do more.

Thanks

Thanks for your input Paleo.

Thanks for your input Paleo. This is why I am planning to begin with beach runs since there are usually lots of folks walking barefoot and the occasional barefoot runner as well. I will see how it goes from there. Stealth makes sense.

Marc

I'll get you set up shortly,

I'll get you set up shortly, Marc! Thanks!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7