Garmin Foot Pod cadence all over the place

Robbi

Barefooters
Dec 1, 2011
Cape Town, South Africa
Hi barefolks,

I've been running with my 305 and a garmin foot pod to measure cadence. It seemed to work OK several weeks ago, but had some dips and so I thought I'd test it's accuracy.

I generated a 96bpm metronome track with Audacity and timed the track to ensure what I got was 96bpm. I then made sure I was nailing 96bpm exactly for my entire 9k run (and several subsequent runs), so I know for sure I was dead on 96. OK, I confess I let rip in the last kay or so and was probably north of 100 :).

The foot pod is securely attached to my ankle using velcro, so it doesn't jiggle around (as least as far as I can feel). The directional arrow is pointing down, but I've run with it vertically wuith the same result.

This is what I get...sort of all over the place results. Is anyone else using a foot pod and getting accurate results? I suppose it's a bit of a moot point since I have a better mechanism for making sure I;m hiitting then right cadence, but I like my stuff to work regardless...

Cadence.jpg

Should have mentioned I replaced the battery, same issue. Maybe the pod is dying for some reason, or maybe I'm just so smooooth it doesn't register properly :).

Actually, I looked back several weeks and it's much more stable. Maybe I'll try something elastic, it mght be that it is in fact moving around on my ankle.