Form Questions

BillBlack

Barefooters
May 24, 2011
I set out on a run earlier today and started thinking about how my foot was landing. I read advice all over the web on barefoot running commenting on forefoot/midfoot landing versus heel landing. I was just wondering at what poing does the heel begin? If left to their own devices, my feet tend to land not quite the back of the heel but more toward the front of it in the general area where the arch is back down. Is this something I should work on correcting or is it ok? Not sure on that one.

Another question I was thinking about is knee bending. How much is needed? and is there a point where there would be too much bend? I was reading Ken Bobs Barefoot Running book and when he mentioned Groucho walking I started watching clips on youtube but wasn't sure how much of a bend should apply to our sport. If i'm bending the way I should, would I be noticeably shorter? Can't quite think of how to word that question but hope my meaning comes through.

Bill

When you land, how does it

When you land, how does it feel? It is painful? If not, then I wouldn't worry about how you are landing. Just make sure you are landing gently. If it does hurt when you land, bending your knees will ensure you land softly and ensure you do not land on your heels.

Only bend your knees as far as it takes to get a smooth, even, soft landing.

Bill:For me, the bent knees

Bill:

For me, the bent knees just mean that I'm never locking my knee back as I run. I'm not doing a Chuck Berry duck walk or anything. How it feels and how it affects your form have been the key drivers for me. So long as I'm landing gently and comfortably with the outside forward part of my foot touching first (with my feet basically totally relaxed), I have no problems. Keeping your feet relaxed means that your heel should touch the ground gently just after your forefoot touches down.

The other helpful piece of advice that took care of "bent knee" problems for me was to "lean forward from your ankles." This sounds funky, but it ensures you keep your knees bent. To see how it should feel, stand flat-footed a couple feet away from a wall, then lean forward 5 or 6 inches while keeping your feet on the ground. You should get a good feel for how relaxing your feet will make this possible while you're running. So long as you're lifting and gently placing your feet, you shouldn't have any problems caused by allowing them to relax.

Hope this helps. It sounds like you're on the right track. The best thing in the world is to run with somebody who's already figured it out.

Where in NC are you? I live in Fuquay-Varina and work at Fort Bragg.

Phil

It doesn't hurt when I land

It doesn't hurt when I land on the forward part of my heel. If I try to make myself land on the back part of my heel for comparison, it doesn't really hurt just jars and rattles a bit. But I have to work at it to go that way. I never have really experienced pain when I run (except for the occasional rock) just afterwards. I tried Pose running for a while and had an annoying case of what felt like achilles tendonitis. I backed off and ran in traditional running shoes and tried again with just a forefoot landing and the at returned.

Bill

Hi Bill,I originally started

Hi Bill,

I originally started by reading up on Pose too and ended up with problems with tight muscles. I'm not having those problems now that I'm doing the 123 landing from Ken Bob. I am experimenting with knee bend too and have pondered the same questions you're asking here. I'm still extremely new at BFR but I'd say a jar and rattle should be avoided. I often think about the walking on tissue paper idea... run without tearing it. I'm sure the jar and rattle would be a tear.

Judging by the darkest area of my heals, I'd say I'm landing fairly evenly on them. I've also never experienced pain when running but often find that I can't walk on my feet after running... I remember reading in Ken Bob's book about stopping from time to time and giving your feet a chance to complain because you may be ready to stop and not know it early enough without stopping first. Makes me think I'm doing TMTS when I take it to that point but the running feels good at the spead and distance I'm running so I haven't backed off yet.

Sounds to me like you're doing great!

Happy running!

Phil, you sound like you

Phil, you sound like you don't use much of a bend. I know we all have different bodies though. I was starting to expect a bit bend after seeing so much advice to bend.

You work at Fort Bragg? Are you in a military or civilian position? I live in Stanleyville, a little over a mile outside of Winston-Salem and work and do most of my playing in the city.

Bill

AJW, you just gave me a

AJW, you just gave me a flashback to Kung Fu. Remember the scene where little Kwai Chang tried walking on rice paper without breaking it? I'm making my way through Ken Bob's book and read the bit about 123 landing earlier today. If I can, i'll go out for a run tomorrow and see how it goes.

Bill

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon