Flexor Hallucis Longus Tendon Metatarsaligia....? Ouch!

Chaserwilliams

Barefooters
Dec 15, 2010
Good greif... Just typing the title of this thread made my head hurt. Im going to take a nap when Im done here...

Ok, so after my foot went numb almost 3 weeks ago and the good Dr Gangemi diagnosed my issue via our posts (amazing!!!) I started looking more into it. Dr Gangemi also had mentioned that it was more than likely due to a trigger point around my first metararsal. So after thinking about it and doing alot of researching and thinking and generally hurting my brain parts I think Ive discovered the root cause of my injury!

Ive had a little dime sized spot on my forefoot pad for as long as I can remember. Its under where I imagine the proximal phlange meet up with the metatarsal (I traded in my Xray vision powers for the ability to NOT see fat people naked, so Im guestimating here...). After looking into it some more and probing around (on my foot thank you!) it feels like the Flexor Hallucis Longus tendon is damaged. Maybe...

The same area on my left foot feels fine, and when I probe around on it everything feels firm and umm... Attached? Yet on the same location on the right foot it feels like theres multiple pieces and their loose. If I put my weight on it theres a crunchy type of feeling and its as if theres something poping from one area to another when the weight shifts.

Some background / history. This issue has been around for quite awhile, but not the whole time Ive been running BF. Or at least it hadnt made its presence known for awhile. It started the second time I ran in my Vibrams for a 5k race on a very rough chip seal road that I oh so conviently happen to live on... I didnt feel anything during the race, my form felt great. I felt light and quick and wasnt reaching or anything like that. But later on that evening I noticed a pain in the area in question and there was some bruising coming up the aide of my foot. At this point I figured I had just landed on a rock or something and took a few days off to recoop both from soreness and the bruise. Since then Ive noticed this area is a little "tender"? I dont know that thats the best word, but since Im uneducated it will have to do!

So in my little brain thingy Ive came to the conclusion that I was subconcisouly altering my foots landing to compensate for this damaged area, which in turn put my Peroneous Longus in a bind. That, combined with my increase in mileage as of lately, is why I think I got injured....

Does this sound plausible? If so, what can I do to heal / repair the damaged flexor hallucis longus tendon? Part of me thinks that some type of cusioned, yet minimalist shoe would help, but Im not sure if that would help or do more harm.

Thoughts? Should I just have robotic legs installed in place of my current ones?

Thanks!

How about this: 

How about this: Sesamoiditis.

There are two tiny bones that lie within the tendon of the flexor hallucis brevis at the location you describe. Think of them as tiny kneecaps that develop due to the stress of the tendon pulling over the joint. Sesamoiditis is common in dancers.

Try this:
[*]make sure you are rolling your feet (stay off the sore area) out with a rolling pin/golf ball/lacrosse ball after you run and at least one other time in the day. Keep the muscles from spasming and pulling abnormally.[*]Create a little foam donut and tape it over the metatarsal-phalangeal joint to limit the direct pressure on the joint and sesamoids for awhile.
Your question as to the plausibilty of injuring peroneal tendons by trying to stay off the MTP joint is confirmed. I didn't even have to call the Mythbusters.

Robotic legs are costly and never give that true barefoot feel. They also usually malfunction three days after the warranty expires. They are not recommended, save for replacing your real legs after losing them in a zombie fighting accident. There is also the worry of Skynet taking over your legs and turning you into a Terminator.

Seriously though, do #1 and #2 and see how it feels.

Excelent! Thank you very much

Excelent! Thank you very much Dr Klein!