Energy use

the800

Barefooters
May 29, 2011
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and was wondering what people's opinions regarding energy usage while running in the barefoot/minimalist style.

First let me say that changing to this style has worked great for me. I have some cartilage missing behind my kneecap and regular shod running agrivates it to the point where the knee actually will give out, even though there is nothing structurally wrong with the knee. At least that's what my orthopodic surgeon said after looking at the MRI. Anyway, this type of running has worked wonders for me and after 4 months of training I am starting to get back into my old training rythmes from high school and college. I'm in my early 30's now and my legs are strong again, my posture is better. I can feel my whole body falling into much better alignment.

I train for short races due to a high ratio of fast twitch muscles and have set my current sights on the half mile, which I have never raced before. I have have raced the mile, two mile, then switched to the 100m, 200m where I was much more successful. We have some local all comer track meets around here in the winter that I hope to compete in for fun and as a way to gauge my progress each year. I chose the half mile because it's a good blend of fast twitch and endurance which seemed like the way to go.

A lot of my training is at a distance of about 5K, with lots of hill work. I've run 5K-10K races in the past shod style.

I can't help thinking that this BF style must use a lot more calories. The reason I think this is because everytime I land I am essentially using my muscles to negotiate the contact with the ground, as opposed to letting the sole of my shoe slam into the ground and roll/bounce off it. Better for my joints, harder on my muscles. Every landing segement of a stride is to some extent a calf raise, a pretty serious one if you are moving with any kind of speed. This is why it reduces injuries, because the muscles and the whole leg is forced into perfect alignment, that my falling weight is not transfered to my joints, yet I can't help but wonder if this uses way more energy. Energy is key in longer runs.

I have thought a bit about how if the leg was designed to run this way, then maybe it just seems like I am using more energy and at some point my lower leg and foot will make up for a life time of being cushioned unnaturally and become so strong that I don't even notice it. There are times when I am moving at a pretty good pace where it all seems too easy, like I am floating over the ground. I don't see how this can be, but it happens! I also know that barefoot runners have won events such as the marathon, the ultimate test of efficiency, so if this stye used so much more energy, how could that be possible? Those marathoners move at a good clip too, in the 5 minute mile range. I also know that it's probably only beneficial for me to train this way, strengthening my feet and calves because I will be racing up on the front of my feet. It makes me wonder how I used to think my calves were strong enough to do it before!

I have also wondered if I have wrongly interpretted the BF style somehow and what I am doing is more of a sprinting style, but I don't think so, although my strides do seem longer than many of the models I have seen. There is no way I could run a 5K like I do almost every morning sprinting style. Maybe there is no difference or maybe I am doing some combination of the two.

Anyway, any feedback would be great. Thanks.

You're forgetting an

You're forgetting an important factor; elasticity. Your calf muscles together with your achilles tendon will retain energy when you put your foot down that you'll get back when you lift the foot off the ground. So it's not all muscle work.
A running shoe will, depending on the material used in the sole, dissipate some energy with every step that could be better used to bounce you off the ground.
Stand in place and bounce up and down on the balls of your feet. The reason it feels so easy (at the "right" frequency) is because you get a lot of energy back for free.
Now where's that Lee Saxby video link...?

My experience is that running

My experience is that running barefoot requires a lot less energy than running in shoes. Though, it may take some time before your form gets to the point where this is also true for you. Running in shoes is like biking with under-inflated tires. It can be done, but it takes a lot more effort.

it's been proven that running

it's been proven that running bf or with natural form is a softer landing as well that bf uses a lot less Oxygen at the same distance, effort with shoes. soreness is from using your muscles in a new way and/or bad form. i know i started running before fully understaning good form. i never let my heels touch for about four months and had sore calves because of it.

Mike

Studies show an increase in

Studies show an increase in effort when running in shoes versus barefoot. (Stomper, what is the percentage in increase please?) This is due to the weight of the shoes and having a pendulum effect while running.

Another study showed that barefoot runners take 7,000 more steps over the distance of a marathon, due to a natural stride when barefoot versus the artificial, elongated stride from shod runners who wear elevated heels.

Interesting contrasts. We don't have all the answers, but we're definitely getting there.

Ah... elasticity!!!  For some

Ah... elasticity!!! For some reason I didn't really know that the calf worked like that, or I forgot, but it makes total sense. We really are designed for this! It is really awesome. Thanks Essin and others.

Here's the Saxby instruction

Here's the Saxby instruction video I was looking for earlier.
http://vimeo.com/12551218

Well worth watching, and he mentions elasticity etc. at about 6 mins in.

I agree, I use alot less

I agree, I use alot less energy when running barefoot. You aren't slamming your feet into the ground you are gently rolling so there is no breaking effect. I think this is why given a nice enough surface I can go significantly faster bf than with any footwear on.

From the exertion

From the exertion standpoint it feels the same to me. I can recover faster and run more frequently without pain, so the impact must be substantially different.

From one Newb to another,

From one Newb to another, Welcome!

If you want science, the research is out there: Oxygen consumption becomes much more efficient when using the arch as opposed to having it in a 'cast'/shoe being 'supported'.(This has been studied) Also, there is a free energy return when using the calves and legs as springy shock absorbers and an increased cadence of 180s/m.(you've already felt this AND it's been studied) If you've ever squated all the way down, paused and tried to jump, it takes a lot of effort, BUT if you drop down quickly, and fire right away, you go higher and it's easier because some of the energy from your drop, gets returned via the elasticity in your legs. This is an example of the free energy return you get running correctly...why you feel like you're floating at the right pace.

Pressure plate research also shows, the initial impact heal toe runners experience is gone with BFR. (The comparable graphs are in the library section of this site.) There are a few reasons for this. The body "searches out" for feed back through your feet(explains when you have as many nerve endings in your feet as you do in your hands) and putting a foam pad under your heal will actually encourage you to drive your foot harder into the pavement in search of information. The softer the material the harder you'll land. Researchers have equated this action to hitting you in the heal with a sledge hammer over and over. The BFR style quicker pace and shorter strides equate to less up and down "bob", which is also easier on the joints, more fluid and requires less energy. The fore/mid foot landing has been shown to convert the downward force into rotational energy stored in the archs of the feet, calves and bent legs, where the shod heal strike sends the energy through your joints via straight or slightly bent legs. While you're at it, if you've ever watched footage of a heal toe runner being annalyzed, including directional force, they show the braking motion caused from landing on the heal out in front of the body, which then requires a push off motion...stop and go. The BFR footage shows the force and center of gravity stays under the runner, constantly flowing forward.

As for foot landing, check out Ken Bob's 1-2-3 foot landing. Your heal should be touching.

On the whole, you can find the research that verifies the efficiency and benefits of running barefoot via the library here, google, youtube, someone just posted an article in Men's Health about cadence, etc but the best computer data available is between your ears! I've personally experienced the vast difference between running heal toe and barefoot style and there is no contest. I've always hated running and after my knee surgery, shod running just plain hurt...ALL OVER and it took me months to get up to 2 miles without stopping. I couldn't wait to stop running, each time I started! However, in VFFs and barefoot, I went from zero running for a year and a half to my first 5k in less than 2mo, ran 5 miles yesterday(2 1/2mo running this way total and a PR for distance without stopping) with plenty left in the tank, all I can think about is when can I run again and my wife is having the same experience!!! Also, I've lose over 20lbs since I started, can actually keep up with my kids and I feel great! I don't even make that groaning sound when I get up off the couch anymore...well...not that I'm on the couch much anymore! ;o)

-Jonny

Thanks for everything. I'm

Thanks for everything. I'm going to check that video out when I get a chance. The key for me was understanding the elastic nature of the calf and foot. I was thinking that every stride was a musclular contraction. I figured that it was worth it in the short distances because you could generate more power and speed, and was confused how I was able to keep it up for the longer distances. Of course I was ultimately thinking about it all wrong because I was missing a huge variable in the equation. It's pretty cool to think of the calves as spring loaded to some extent- this fact sort of slipped by me through all the years of running and other sports.

What's also impressive is how tough some people's legs are, how insanely durable, to be able to run shod their entire lives. It's rare I think to be able to do it without injuries, but there are some.

Oh and as a side note, around the dirt roads where I live I have seen 3 different people who I don't know running barefoot this spring/summer. One neighbor I know started as well. It's picking up steam!

Thanks for everything. I'm

Thanks for everything. I'm going to check that video out when I get a chance. The key for me was understanding the elastic nature of the calf and foot. I was thinking that every stride was a musclular contraction. I figured that it was worth it in the short distances because you could generate more power and speed, and was confused how I was able to keep it up for the longer distances. Of course I was ultimately thinking about it all wrong because I was missing a huge variable in the equation. It's pretty cool to think of the calves as spring loaded to some extent- this fact sort of slipped by me through all the years of running and other sports.

What's also impressive is how tough some people's legs are, how insanely durable, to be able to run shod their entire lives. It's rare I think to be able to do it without injuries, but there are some.

Oh and as a side note, around the dirt roads where I live I have seen 3 different people who I don't know running barefoot this spring/summer. One neighbor I know started as well. It's picking up steam!

Less energy for sure.  It's

Less energy for sure. It's why running is now pleasureable for me. I can run farther then I ever could before, and faster, and I have noticed my breathing does not change a whole lot when I increase my pace, as opposed to before. Also, I have lost very little weight this time around, compared to when I first started running with shoes - though my leg, pelvic, and abdomen mucles are much stronger than with shoes.

In terms of  my perception

In terms of my perception running in shoes was like dragging rubber anchors on pavement. It used up great deal of energy in part I think because of the tension of pushing myself. My first barefoot beach run I felt like an arrow shot form a bow. Literally double the distance with the same effort. I ran 7 miles yesterday beach and some road with minimal energy as I was in flow and not going for speed. I suspect that the process of strengthening the feet and legs through BR means that running has got easier. Thanks for the post.

The other side of this

The other side of this equation is that if you DO want to burn more calories, you can lift your knees higher on each step - making certain to keep your foot placement light, smooth and easy - in case some twinkies or homemade chocolate chip cookies have found their insidious way into your daily diet. This is also good for me when running with someone significantly slower than myself, as I can still get in a good workout without having to go run again after my run with them.

Great tip Phil.  And Marc I

Great tip Phil. And Marc I envy your beach running. Thinking back on things, the summers that I worked as a lifeguard at an ocean beach part of the job was training to stay in shape and to run in a big competition at the end of the summer.

I never did get injured running on the sand or in the competition and they were probably the longest stretches of hard training where I didn't get a major or minor injury, no shin splints, achiles problems, knee problems or pulled muscles. I didn't think much about it then, but it makes sense now.

Also I'll never forget those mornings running in a pack right where the water met the land, the hardest sand, the golden glow of the early sun, the blue water, the crashing waves, the fresh ocean air, and knowing I was getting paid for it all. Those were some good days! You're a lucky guy Marc!

Those do sound like good days

Those do sound like good days 800. Reminds me of Baywatch. ;-)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon