Electrolyte ideas for the healthy diet?

GeorgesRun

Barefooters
Jul 14, 2010
My rule had always been to bring PowerAid or something similar on any run lasting more than an hour. These days, though, I'm trying to eat less processed stuff. Is there such a thing as an electrolyte replacement drink that isn't made of processed crap? If I ever build up to an hour long run, I will need one. My preference would be something homemade, but I don't know how to make salt and potassium (and probably carbs) into something that I can carry, drink, and not throw up...

Any ideas?

Is it okay to just have the

Is it okay to just have the potassium with almost no sodium? That would be awesome - I already know my guts are okay with a banana pre- or post- run.

for my next long run (20+) I

for my next long run (20+) I plan on packing some coconut water and bring a ziplock full of chopped dates mixed with chopped almonds. Should provide a good amount of nutrients. Just need to figure out quantities.

Edit - for my first ultra, I was thinking of bringing some saladitos along instead of salt tablets. Just suck on them during my running.

Natural and evolutionary

Natural and evolutionary documentable ain't always good.

Date eating early humans from the Middle East and Northern Africa

had rotted out teeth by the time they were in their late teens.

Oh yeah, they had already procreated by then so they were'nt necessarily weeded out Darwinian style.

A far as your teeth go, dates=Gummy Bears!

Don't really know if the saturated fat in the Coconut will negate any heart-healthy benefits of the run, but it could be close!

molasses is also a good

molasses is also a good source of potassium, I've made a mix of honey (carbs and antioxidants), salt (sodium replacement) and molasses (potassium) on a run. It doesnt take much, like 1/8 tsp or so.

I'd stick with a good balance of both sodium and potassium, your body needs both. However, you're likely getting a good amount of sodium in your diet so probably dont' have to work as hard at getting it in as you would potassium.

You will deplete sodium way

You will deplete sodium way ahead of potassium and sodium depletion is life-threatening in a much more immediate way so, in my view, it is correct to be more concerned about it.

Last year on long runs in the heat I would carry coconut water in my Nathan bottle and a baggy of sea salt in the pouch. At mile 8 in 90+ degree heat, I would drink a fountain Coke (better than the the particular artificial dyes in Powerade/Gatorade for me, personally - wouldn't drink Coke this year, though, unless I was desperate). Then I'd mainline sea salt - that got stares. I'd fill up my Nathan with plain water and run another 6. AngieB is a Nuun electrolye replacement rep and she mailed me some tablets that fizz in water. I had forgotten why I couldn't have them - the flavors are from "natural flavors" which means chemical flavors which give me an instant migraine. But if "natural flavors" don't normally bother you in other foods, they might be an option (no sugar or colors added). Another option is sweet stuff (honey, maple syrup, etc) mixed with lime and sea salt. Recharge which is a heath food store variety of Gatorade is also popular.

I threw up throughout my pregnancies, including alot of electrolyte replacement drinks I was taking because I was so dehydrated and unable to keep anything down, so I am kind of off alot of them for good for that reason in addition to my wish to adhere to a low-crap diet. There are alot of options, it's a matter of getting the right mix for you. Some have no carbs, like Ulta (not sure about the name - has stevia instead), or no sodium, so you need to watch out for getting what you really need individually for your body.

What about good old fashioned

What about good old fashioned potatos soaked in salt water? They are a staple at ultras and provide enough of everything you're looking for. Then you can just carry water and nosh on a backpack full of those.

Potato soup for the soles. 

Potato soup for the soles. Hmmmm. Make it watery enough to drink from a bottle.

Here's a very simple home

Here's a very simple home made electrolyte replacement:

1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1/2 cup orange juice OR 1/2 mashed banana (these provide potassium)
2 Tbsp sugar OR 1 1/2 Tbsp honey
1 liter water
lemon juice to taste (if desired--just for flavor)

Here's a very simple home

Here's a very simple home made electrolyte replacement:

1/4 tsp salt;
1/4 tsp baking soda (sodium bicarbonate);
1/2 cup orange juice OR 1/2 mashed banana (these provide potassium);
2 Tbsp sugar OR 1 1/2 Tbsp honey;
1 liter water;
lemon juice to taste (if desired--just for flavor)

I make a homemade "sports"

I make a homemade "sports" drink, also.

Fill a a 20 oz. sport drink container with water and add:

3 tablets of chewable vitamin C tablets (I use orange flavor)

1/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp potassium chloride (salt substitute you can find at the grocery)

The chewable vitamin tabs have some processed stuff. Sorbitol and "natural flavor" are in the ingredients, but it can't be much. I've also made this with a couple spoonfuls of Tang, which has sugar.

I used pickle juice at the

I used pickle juice at the Mud Run last weekend, and it worked out pretty well. I make my own brine pickles, so I know exactly what's in the pickle juice. I'd have a couple of swigs of pickle juice, and then a couple cups of plain water.

If I wanted something with carbs in it, I'd have coconut water. Coconut water has close to zero coconut oil in it, so there's no need to worry about saturated fat. Not that I worry about saturated fat myself - I think omega-6 vegetable oils are much more of a health risk.

I don't see anything wrong

I don't see anything wrong with Coconut Water. I think there was a confusion with Coconut Milk. The fat comes mostely from the meat (pulp), filter that out and you have only water left. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3115/2

I love coconut water, Natures electrolyte drink

Nuun is a 2nd place and gatorpiss (gatorade) is my very last choice. Unless I desire to puke a few miles out.

George, I've heard of people

George, I've heard of people doing the potato thing several ways. Some like raw potatos brined in salt water. I have usually boiled them, but not so much that they are falling apart, and then salt them pretty heavily. I don't care for raw potatos too much.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7