Ego Lesson #378,064,519,375,657,849,300

jldeleon

Barefooters
Apr 9, 2011
Oregon
I was diagnosed with a short leg when I was 14 –just born that way (and have been subsequently diagnosed with the same, 3 more times). My right leg is literally shorter than my left leg –verified by an x-ray not manual examination. My right leg is 3/8th of an inch (a little more than a quarter of an inch) shorter than my left. This has caused all sorts of musculo-skeletal imbalances and pain and tension.

How else does this imbalance affect me?

• DEPRESSED, IRRITABLE MOOD because an imbalance in the body equals impeded energy flow, which equals an imbalance in your emotional and spiritual state.
• A horizontal and vertical twist in my hips
• A consequential misalignment in my hips, shoulders, knees, ankles, neck, and jaw misalignment –and between the different sections of my spine- cervical/thoracic, thoracic/lumbar, lumbar/sacral, sacral/coccyx.
• A flared hip
• Dental issues
• Reoccurring bursitits in my left hip joint
• Muscle strength imbalance
• Resulting trigger points
• Consequential gait imbalance
• Slight nerve compression and/or impingement (left leg is always slightly weak)

Here is the list things that I have to modifiy, or avoid, or otherwise I will have significant pain and tension to deal with.

• I can not stand for long periods of time.
• I can not walk for long periods of time.
• I can not hike for long periods of time.
• I can not run on pavement, period.
• I can not ascend or descend steep inclines/declines for long periods of time.
• I can not ride a bicycle.
• I can not use any exercise machines for more than a few minutes –no treadmill, no stairmachine, no elliptical…
• I can not take dance classes, of any kind.
• I can not take aerobics classes, of any kind.
• I can not do sprinting.
• I can not actually swim due to how this imbalance affects my upper body.
• I can not do bilateral weight-lifting, with either my upper body or lower body.
• I can not do any recreational activity that requires the use of both sides of my body simultaneously –skiing, snowboarding, surfing, etc.
• Sleeping on anything other than my back poses big problems due to the weakness in my hips this imbalance causes.
• My hips go out of alignment periodically during which I endure and undue amount of pain and inflammation of my hip joints – it used to be out of place more often than it was in place. However, it takes an average of 3 days for me to get it back in place using some self-taught chiropractic/physical therapy stuff. In the past, it could take up to a week to get them back in place.

What can I do?

Most days I can do the following with little issue…

• I can do bilateral strength exercises.
• I can do bilateral weightlifting (ever try to do a one-armed dip? Or go straight to one-legged squats?)
• I can do aqua-aerobics.
• I can do yoga.
• I can run on trails (my bodily heavily prefers the slope to be down to the left – I wonder why…) as long as there are not steep inclines/declines.
• I can work at jobs where I am allowed to stand, sit and walk –as needed.

And guess what?

I AM THE ONE PREVENTING MY BODY FROM RETURNING TO IT’S NATURAL STATE. And I use “I”, lightly, as the “I” of which I refer is, my ego, who thinks that I HAVE to be a BAREFOOT runner, 100%, or I will die in a gutter. Nonsense!

Let me repeat, again – MY EGO IS WHAT IS PREVENTING MY BODY FROM BEING RETURNED TO IT’S NATURAL STATE.

So, now the fun begins. My husband’s calipers and I -are now looking at various recycled materials to attach and/or insert to my sandals and Mocs –as needed. I should not need to use it for my general trail runs. I WILL definitely need to use it during college – since I will be moving a lot less while massaging people.

I have had the shoe lift before, but they always gave me a heel lift, indicating they thought it was a hip TWIST, but it’s actually a short leg (the first two times it was diagnosed they did not do an X-ray –duhhh…), so this will be the first time that I have the CORRECT type of lift – a full length lift. The reasons I always stopped wearing my heel-lift in the past, was because it rid me of one set of symptoms, but then would cause others. Now I know why!

You sound as screwed up as I am. Most everything you pinpointed is exactly what I deal with too.

I was told by my chiropractor that most people have a leg length discrepancy. I have one too.

Are you seeing a chiropractor on a regular basis?

I don't believe you have to be 100% barefoot...to be cool...to yourself. I am barefoot all the time, but that's because I am unable to run right now. All my walking at home, in stores, and wherever, what little I can do, is done barefoot though. If I were to try running barefoot right now, I would have extreme nerve pain from the nerve damage in my feet (done by shoes) and the subsequent surgeries to correct that. I may never be a barefoot runner again, and that breaks my wee widdle heart, but I'll get over it.

All people DO have a leg-length discrepancy -but the important part is, how significant is it? I do not believe in restoring alignment with abrupt force. I have self-taught myself how to get my hips back into alignment using pelvic-blocking- which takes a handful of sessions over a number of days because it GRADUALLY puts it back. But that does not address the problem. Why waste time- money, and energy on a "band-aid"?

My leg-length difference is 1/2". I also have slight scoliosis, as I'm sure you do too. I use(d) a chiropractor who doesn't do all that cracking and jarring. He uses the atlas orthogonal chiropractic technique which is more humane: http://www.atlasorthogonality.com/PatientSite/aboutAO.html

My husband agrees with you about the band aid. I am still on the wall.

Reactions: jldeleon
I was diagnosed with a short leg when I was 14 –just born that way (and have been subsequently diagnosed with the same, 3 more times). My right leg is literally shorter than my left leg –verified by an x-ray not manual examination. My right leg is 3/8th of an inch (a little more than a quarter of an inch) shorter than my left. This has caused all sorts of musculo-skeletal imbalances and pain and tension.

How else does this imbalance affect me?

• DEPRESSED, IRRITABLE MOOD because an imbalance in the body equals impeded energy flow, which equals an imbalance in your emotional and spiritual state.
• A horizontal and vertical twist in my hips
• A consequential misalignment in my hips, shoulders, knees, ankles, neck, and jaw misalignment –and between the different sections of my spine- cervical/thoracic, thoracic/lumbar, lumbar/sacral, sacral/coccyx.
• A flared hip...same here
• Dental issues...not me
• Reoccurring bursitits in my left hip joint...here!
• Muscle strength imbalance...same here
• Resulting trigger points...I hear you
• Consequential gait imbalance..I know all about it
• Slight nerve compression and/or impingement (left leg is always slightly weak)...more severe than slight here

Here is the list things that I have to modifiy, or avoid, or otherwise I will have significant pain and tension to deal with.

• I can not stand for long periods of time...I do
• I can not walk for long periods of time... I can
• I can not hike for long periods of time...I can
• I can not run on pavement, period...I can
• I can not ascend or descend steep inclines/declines for long periods of time...I can ascend but decending is a diferent story.
• I can not ride a bicycle...I know and it's awful isn't it
• I can not use any exercise machines for more than a few minutes –no treadmill, no stairmachine, no elliptical…I can only use the TM
• I can not take dance classes, of any kind...It sucks and I love dancing:(
• I can not take aerobics classes, of any kind...I can either but am ok with that
• I can not do sprinting...same here but that's ok cause I don't like sprinting anyways:D
• I can not actually swim due to how this imbalance affects my upper body...my back kills me too because of it.
• I can not do bilateral weight-lifting, with either my upper body or lower body...no lifting for me of any kind:D
• I can not do any recreational activity that requires the use of both sides of my body simultaneously –skiing, snowboarding, surfing, etc... Is ok with me cause I can't be out on cold weather due to Raynaulds condition AND I don't like cold
• Sleeping on anything other than my back poses big problems due to the weakness in my hips this imbalance causes... I can only sleep on my side, a pillow between my legs is a must, sleeping on my back is a killer.
• My hips go out of alignment periodically during which I endure and undue amount of pain and inflammation of my hip joints –mine are always out of aligment because of my unstable back

quote]
so, we are basically twins and in other words we are both screw up big times.
But I focus on what I can do and not the other way around..I feel your pain sister.

Yaaaayyyyy twins! :) But at least we can run! People always look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them about bicycling -lol! Seriously, I tried a recumbent bike the other month for only 10 super slow minutes and I was f-ed up for 3 days. That was the first time in 10 years I've tried, and now I won't have to test that again for another 10...lol!

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Yaaaayyyyy twins! :) But at least we can run! People always look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them about bicycling -lol! Seriously, I tried a recumbent bike the other month for only 10 super slow minutes and I was f-ed up for 3 days. That was the first time in 10 years I've tried, and now I won't have to test that again for another 10...lol!
That's right and that's good enough for me:joyful:

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldManHemingway