Does anyone run a combination of shod and bare?

I agree with Sid on this one Jason. Before reading up on barefoot running, running mechanics, and so on, I just went into the Foot Locker and said I wanted a running shoe, and the salesperson made up some pitch about overpronating or some other crap and told me which shoe I needed to buy, and I bought it, forgetting temporarily that all marketing is bs. I didn't want cushioning, I was told that I needed it. And I guess it was a sort of laziness that allowed me to willfully be suckered into it, instead of questioning the motives of someone trying to sell a $130 dollar shoe made by some exploited stiffs in Asia. I wonder if what is changing is that people have so much more information available to them now on the interwebs--forums, customer reviews, shoe review blogs--and are now better able to tell manufacturers what they want, or even demand it from them. I know when I want or need to buy something, I go to Amazon and read the customer reviews. I have almost no exposure to advertising anymore, except when I watch NFL games. Still, it pains me to know that almost everything I buy is based on some worker's misery in China or someplace. I just got a hydration belt for my longer runs. It's pretty neat, but I wonder under what conditions it was manufactured and sent to me at such great convenience and low price.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I believe that most consumers are still lazy, and will continue to enjoy being told what to buy based on some marketing lie or fantasy, but perhaps there's a growing segment that is exploiting the increase in available information for consumers to make more informed choices and greater demands on marketeers/manufacturers, and the latter, as you note, are responding.

I agree with Sid on this one Jason. Before reading up on barefoot running, running mechanics, and so on, I just went into the Foot Locker and said I wanted a running shoe, and the salesperson made up some pitch about overpronating or some other crap and told me which shoe I needed to buy, and I bought it, forgetting temporarily that all marketing is bs. I didn't want cushioning, I was told that I needed it. And I guess it was a sort of laziness that allowed me to willfully be suckered into it, instead of questioning the motives of someone trying to sell a $130 dollar shoe made by some exploited stiffs in Asia. I wonder if what is changing is that people have so much more information available to them now on the interwebs--forums, customer reviews, shoe review blogs--and are now better able to tell manufacturers what they want, or even demand it from them. I know when I want or need to buy something, I go to Amazon and read the customer reviews. I have almost no exposure to advertising anymore, except when I watch NFL games. Still, it pains me to know that almost everything I buy is based on some worker's misery in China or someplace. I just got a hydration belt for my longer runs. It's pretty neat, but I wonder under what conditions it was manufactured and sent to me at such great convenience and low price.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I believe that most consumers are still lazy, and will continue to enjoy being told what to buy based on some marketing lie or fantasy, but perhaps there's a growing segment that is exploiting the increase in available information for consumers to make more informed choices and greater demands on marketeers/manufacturers, and the latter, as you note, are responding.

It takes a lot of energy and time and self-doubt to question everything we are told, especially when we are brought up not to, especially when we acted on those beliefs for years and thought they were the right things, especially when the given rationales appeal to certain parts of our wiring; there is so much invested in NOT doubting.
Even when we strive to do so, surely there are many things I still do based on simply 'the way it's done' if for nothing else than time expediency.
And I study statistics, with hobbies that include the psychology of critical thinking, and skepticism vs. pseudoscience.

That said, if the questioners don't ever get their voices OUT THERE in the ether (not the echo chamber), change for the better is not inevitable.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I believe that most consumers are still lazy
Consumers might try out a new product if it's trendy. However, with all of the products that I listed, they don't require a change in behavior. That's an entirely different thing. I suspect that many people buy VFF's for the coolness/trendiness factor, but not everyone exercises in them.

Anything that requires effort, or investment in time, or retraining, is going to reduce the number of adopters. That includes victims of TMTS. C'mon, barefoot is free! It can't be the cost. So yeah, perhaps a combination of lack of education, ignorance, or laziness.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Consumers might try out a new product if it's trendy. However, with all of the products that I listed, they don't require a change in behavior. That's an entirely different thing. I suspect that many people buy VFF's for the coolness/trendiness factor, but not everyone exercises in them.

Anything that requires effort, or investment in time, or retraining, is going to reduce the number of adopters. That includes victims of TMTS. C'mon, barefoot is free! It can't be the cost. So yeah, perhaps a combination of lack of education, ignorance, or laziness.

Lol.....nothing is free. They pay in the form of INJURIES :-(

Well, Jason, to be honest, you changed my mind. I appreciate you sharing your experience. Barefoot/minimalist running often involves changing behavior. That's much, much harder to do than simply peddle products.

Sid- after re-reading the posts, I think we're basically saying the same thing. People need to change, and I agree they're rarely inclined to do so. That's when we have to turn up the charm.
;)
Oh no we're DOOMED. That is to say, unless there's some Harry Houdini of a runner guy out there to work some magic.............................................................................wish there were such a person.................................................................................................................................but he'd have to be charming alright. Know anyone?

Oh no we're DOOMED. That is to say, unless there's some Harry Houdini of a runner guy out there to work some magic.............................................................................wish there were such a person.................................................................................................................................but he'd have to be charming alright. Know anyone?

Where's Chaser?

I purposely am mixing things up. I was 100% BF pre-surgery but when
I came back to running post surgery I found it extremely dificult to run in my see ya's and they're only 3 oz.
Now I mixed thing up a little to be accustomed to both running methods.
I am faster BF and the runs are more enjoyable.

Reactions: NickW

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon