disapointments

NakedSoleNate

Barefooters
May 27, 2010
figured this might be a good place to whine about lack of mileage ;-).....

this actually isn't a current "whine"....I'm just a bit disappointed, as I was looking forward to my very first LONG distance attempt, which I talked about in another thread a few weeks ago (probably would have posted there, if I could remember which one it was...)

Maybe this new thread can serve as a cathartic outlet for those times/days when we fall "short" of our personal goals, so we can then let them go and get on to the next thing...

So, here's the deal: That 40 mile (with options to cut out at 20 if we need to) AT (appalacian trail) run my buddy and I had planned (it's called the 4 state challenge) from Harpers Ferry, VA, to Caladonia state park, PA, that was planned for the weekend of the 23rd, is cancelled, due to a "new" obligation the same weekend that he can't get out of :-(.

I've been gearing up and excited, and terrified, of this endeavor for two months. Then it started "SO and So and So and So are going to come too, so we won't be able to run the thing, but we can run a little bit of it...and hike the rest..." I was/am really ok with that, thinking I can run what I want to and wait in the October sun for the others to catch up. Although, I was skeptical, really wanting to run and test my mettle without there actually being any sort of "judgement." AND using it as a base-line for future distance attempts.

But now, do to other obligations, this is no longer going to happen. My buddy has another thing he has to do and can't get out of. I have friends who said "well, you can still do it by yourself...." and this scares the shit out of me, I don't know the terrain, have no idea of the points where I can "bail" if I need to, and no one else to go with. So it's pretty much out.

But, in the end, it's all ok...there are plenty of places for me to run around here, and I plan on taking that weekend to do my own little "half marathon" in the mountains.

On the other hand, I was talking to one of my other good friends, who is an accomplished distance runner (who I've not yet actually had the privelidge to run with) and talking to him about my desire to do a particular 50 miler next october, who then, on the spot said "for that you will need a pacer, and I'd love to do that, if you want" :)

So, my crew is beginning to take form, 12 months out!! ;-D

have a great sat. everyone! enjoy your runs!

Bummer dude, yeah I had a

Bummer dude, yeah I had a couple failed goals this summer too, it is dissapointing.

Man I think you should still do the run :) It would be awesome being out there alone on the AT.

NakedSoleNate wrote:I have

NakedSoleNate said:
I have friends who said "well, you can still do it by yourself...." and this scares the sh*t out of me, I don't know the terrain, have no idea of the points where I can "bail" if I need to, and no one else to go with. So it's pretty much out.

Is it one of those things that scares the sh*t out of you in a good way? Like, that would be so exciting if I could pull that off? Or, scares the sh*t out of you like trying that, especially with cold weather coming on, would just be stupid? Unfortunately these options tend to overlap a lot.

The little expeditions I've been on totally alone haven't been the happiest or smartest things I've ever done, but I'm really proud I did them.

I just don't know the

I just don't know the terrain at all, and places to "get help" if I need it....if I had been doing that kind of milage on my own until now, I probably would do it by myself...but I've not before...so I think it would be more stupid...

I can make a nice long trail run on the mountains here by my house that weekend instead, knowing the terrain very well, and where there is "help"....I could do 20 here. I'm more "over it" now....whining about it while drunk last night helped :-D....thanks for listening!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7