Derek Shaw Here?

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
I'm not familiar with his name here. Sorry.

I always tend to think that we're such a minority that we're ALL here, but obviously not.
Our youngest son underwent shoulder surgery the last day of July (snowboard injury pushed over the limit via skateboard injury), and at PT Monday one of the workers at the clinic mentioned that he ran a race Sunday at the zoo. Sam replied " Oh, my dad ran that one, he's the guy that runs with no shirt or shoes"
To which the PT guy responded: Yeah I saw him, I see him at a lot of races".
We are unique, but there's probably at least one in every town.

Yeah, one looney per town. :cool:

Reactions: Bare Lee
Says the obligatory poo-poo slinging podiatrist: "the problem is people going out there and thinking that running without shoes on is good for you, is just silly." I'll credit the garbled grammar to the writer.

Like JT, I enjoy the familiar story arch of these barefoot runner items--redemption from shoddie injuries, the barefoot revelation, the science behind bfr, the pooh-poohing podiatrist, the sensuous pleasures involved. It's kind of like a BFR sermon--nothing new but comforting. Is BRS my church?

I must live in an unusual area where there are lots of loonies all over this town... Dang Oregonians...:D
Isn't calling an Oregonian, looney, redundant?? :p

Is barefoot running as a sport really "old school"? Maybe being barefoot is old school, but I think that barefoot running is "new school."

If it was old school there wouldn't be so many articles written about it, there would be leather bound book about it, and Jason would probably still be teaching.

It's only new school in the US. The US is pretty new school anyway.

When in history was barefoot running *as a sport* prevolant? Sure, people ran around barefoot chasing dinner and potential wives, but as a sport? I think barefoot running as a sport is most defenitely new school. However, minimal running is old school, just look at the leather shoes they wore before Bowerman showed up.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Ok, where did this serious Ram come from??? What happened to the smart alec Ram?
I was hacked, what else would explain me giving a crap about old school vs. new school?

Reactions: NickW
It could just be nice feel-good article about a 50-year old man who is enjoying his life. Yay :) Why-oh-why do they feel compelled to bring in some clueless idiot "Doctor" (Chiropractors aren't doctors) to ruin it?

“We know biomechanically, that people who run with a midfoot strike get less injuries because they’re not running into the ground, they’re running over the ground, which means there’s less breaking forces at the knees or the ankle or even the hips,” said Dr. Jamie Grimes,
Great! I love it! Over the ground and not into the ground, really a perfect description, let's sig that one! :D
Yeah, well, maybe not, because we'd need to cite the author and ...
alas ....
"Grimes warns of the corkscrew effect that can begin in the unsupported arches and continue through the shins and knees, eventually changing hip angle and external rotators of the hip and alignment through the back."
Idiot. The "corkscrew effect" is caused and/or exaggerated by the unstable foam midsoles of crappy orthopedic boots aka "Traditional Running Shoes". The more likely root cause is upper body posture/arm swing ... Why in the world would a medical person with an education in human biomechanics claim that barefeet contribute to this??? I-D-I-O-T.

Why-oh-why do they feel compelled to bring in some clueless idiot "Doctor" (Chiropractors aren't doctors) to ruin it?

Willie,
In the U.S., Canada, UK, Austrailia, and a few other countries chiropractors are not only considered doctors, but medical doctors, or doctors of chiropractic medicine. Approximately 90% of the world's chiropractors practice in those 4 countries mentioned.
Homeopathy and naturopathy though commonplace in Europe is only licensed in but a handful of states in the USA.
Podiatrists are surgeons here, and are of course doctors, but in the U.K. they are neither.
Then again you have dentists in Germany that are not doctors, and Tsanartz (sp?) that are doctors, not dentists, but work on peoples teeth all day.
What a world!

Willie,
In the U.S., Canada, UK, Austrailia, and a few other countries chiropractors are not only considered doctors,

Board - considering yourself a "Doctor" and publishing a Doctoral Thesis are two different things. There's an American chiropractor here who bitches that back in the US, he would be "considered" a doctor. Over here, he's just known as "Douglas", lol.

i start chiro school in two weeks. i am really apprehensive about being called Dr. i don't want to be associated with those pez dispensers and frankensteins.

Reactions: BFwillie_g
i start chiro school in two weeks. i am really apprehensive about being called Dr. ...

lol, I used to go to a Chiro clinic in Middletown, NY. All the therapists called themselves "Dr. First Name" i.e. Dr. Joe, Dr. Mike, Dr. Bill, etc ... I think they even had name tags with their "Titles" on them.

And Board is right - not every person who practices some form of medicine is (or needs to be) a doctor. Our family physician here is just "Frau Stoll". Living in Germany for so long, where titles are taken seriously, the whole "considered a doctor" thing has become very distasteful to me. But in the end, it's what you know that counts and the title doesn't have anything to do with quality.