Deep Running

jldeleon

Barefooters
Apr 9, 2011
Oregon
One of the things I enjoy most about running is it's meditative quality. The repetitive rhythm stirs up a lot of subconscious thoughts. It is while running in the woods, especially when I am alone, that I am most easily able to think of important questions to pose regarding myself, my family, and my friends, and to receive intuitive, insightful, useful answers. I am quite certain that my bare feet touching the earth has a lot to do with this, since the ground is stimulating, well...everything, body, mind, soul, through the reflexology pathways of the feet. And let's not forget the high energy output of the woods. It's pretty intense sometimes. I know I have never had this experience while doing any other kind of physical exercises. I've had some pretty big epiphanies while out there in the woods. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I've solved lots of problems and questions while on my runs also. It's one of the added benefits of running.

Reactions: jldeleon
i can't believe you don't find Someone to talk to. so unlike you. i do enjoy running by myself, whichever of course my dog is almost always with me. feels so weird when he isn't.

Reactions: NickW
When I run alone in the woods, I too get into that zone, and begin plotting universal symmetries and forget about the crushing responsibility of having to live my one life well and with grace, until my demons seek me out and start chasing me back to civilized consciousness, usually at about 3/4 of the way into the run.

My experience is pretty much the exact opposite. My work is fairly cerebral, although quick paced. I'm in an office all day, in the same environment. When running, my mind is pretty much focused on the moment. I've tried thinking about solving problems and such, but it just doesn't happen. I'm too occupied by my environment, the birds, the rare animal, other people, cars, my form, pace, breathing, sweating, my body, the rock I just stepped on. Since, I'm usually in my head all day, running is really when I get to experience the world around me without too many distractions, and I do enjoy that.

My experience is pretty much the exact opposite. My work is fairly cerebral, although quick paced. I'm in an office all day, in the same environment. When running, my mind is pretty much focused on the moment. I've tried thinking about solving problems and such, but it just doesn't happen. I'm too occupied by my environment, the birds, the rare animal, other people, cars, my form, pace, breathing, sweating, my body, the rock I just stepped on. Since, I'm usually in my head all day, running is really when I get to experience the world around me without too many distractions, and I do enjoy that.
This is me, although sometimes I focus on problems in my life until the run dissipates those worries and then I just enjoy the run, the rocks, the birds, the shoddies, the occasional snake, and maybe if I'm lucky the nutria as well.

When I run alone in the woods, I too get into that zone, and begin plotting universal symmetries and forget about the crushing responsibility of having to live my one life well and with grace, until my demons seek me out and start chasing me back to civilized consciousness, usually at about 3/4 of the way into the run.

LOL! Exactly.

i can't believe you don't find Someone to talk to. so unlike you. i do enjoy running by myself, whichever of course my dog is almost always with me. feels so weird when he isn't.

Har har har. :p

This is me, although sometimes I focus on problems in my life until the run dissipates those worries and then I just enjoy the run, the rocks, the birds, the shoddies, the occasional snake, and maybe if I'm lucky the nutria as well.

And don't forget gopher guts.

You nailed it for me when you mention repetitive rhythm, especially if distance is involved. It takes quite a while for my thoughts to declutter when running, almost like a lense focusing.

You have no idea how I miss it so. I crave it like an addiction.

it is addicting. sad but in a damn good way.

my dog also loves the repetitiveness of a long run. the occasional squirrel and nutria just make them that much better.

I don't so much pose questions, but do find my subconscious often throws up answers to stuff floating around in there, from life stuff to technical work stuff. Beats swimming, for some reason when I'm swimming I often end up doing mental arithmetic, and invariably come up with the wrong answer.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I don't so much pose questions, but do find my subconscious often throws up answers to stuff floating around in there, from life stuff to technical work stuff. Beats swimming, for some reason when I'm swimming I often end up doing mental arithmetic, and invariably come up with the wrong answer.
Apparently running produces more endocannabinoids than any other exercise, creating 'the runner's high,' which some have hypothesized came about in order to make persistence hunting, and the endurance running it requires, more pleasurable, less painful, thus ensuring survival, although it seems like hunger would be a strong enough motivating factor. I guess nature is looking out for us.

Apparently running produces more endocannabinoids than any other exercise, creating 'the runner's high,' which some have hypothesized came about in order to make persistence hunting, and the endurance running it requires, more pleasurable, less painful, thus ensuring survival, although it seems like hunger would be a strong enough motivating factor. I guess nature is looking out for us.

I think the runner's high comes for me when i forget that i'm running.