Cut on Sole and 5K Race in a Few Days: Advice Needed

I recently got a cut and scrape on the sole of my foot while swimming and hitting some sharp rocks. Not too much pain walking but it is taking a while to heal. I was hoping to run my upcoming race barefoot but probably running with my foot bleeding would not be a great way to promote the benefits of barefoot running plus could set back my progress. So thinking of running in some Merrell Trail Gloves. Any ideas or tricks to minimizing the impact of the cut on my run?

I always recommend using new

I always recommend using new skin or liquid bandage to my guys when they get cuts and open blisters on their feet. Stings like hell when you first put it on but its great. It would probably wear off while running your 5k. You might be able to use moleskin and have it stay on if your feet dont get wet. Honestly I would put something on my feet, there will be another 5k soon enough.

I'm a fan of the newskin,

I'm a fan of the newskin, myself. If you clean the area really good with rubbing alcohol, I'd be willing to bet regular athletic tape or mole skin would hang on for a 5k.

-Jonny

Are you guys saying you can

Are you guys saying you can run barefoot in Moleskin and it won't roll or bunch or come off (without water, of course)?

And I think it's NuSkin you're talking about. That may work inside shoes for a while, but I'm not sure about barefoot; I think it would wear away pretty quickly.

Ummm.. YMMV, but I have read

Ummm.. YMMV, but I have read that taking some duct tape... well, I guess it helps to read it for yourself here. I wouldn't have believed it myself, but it seems to be the 102nd use for duct tape.

John T.

Edit: The way they're talking about it on that particular site doesn't quite mention it specifically, but the idea is you cover the wound with a bandaid or similar product, then you take a strip of duct tape and then put a patch of duct tape sticky side to sticky side where it will be over the wounded area, then the rest of the sticky area of the tape will adhere to undamaged skin. The duct tape will prevent the shoe or sock liner from getting to the bandaid by providing a slick surface. I guess it's not unlike how double layer socks provide a sliding surface to prevent blisters. After the race is over the duct tape just pulls off and the bandaid ought to be still in place. You have time to test the idea out before the actual run at any rate.

BF Marc,  Is the 5K a road

BF Marc,

Is the 5K a road race or trail? Just wondering because the Trail Glove might not be the most comfortable choice for a road race. The upturned toe and rigid sole plate are great for mitigating pokey things off the beaten path but may be a nuisance on the tarmac. Of course, if you're already aware of these factors, disregard.

I had a similar incident a few weeks ago. Was making my way to a 4 Miler start and was running late so I had to hustle. En route, I was fumbling with my bib and brushed the outside edge of my big toe against one of those concrete parking bumpers. Took the skin right off! Crap!, I thought. What a presentation for barefoot running. There was no time to assess the damage - I was about 200 meters from the start and the gun was any second.

I glanced down several times during the race to see if I was leaving a trail of blood but, surprisingly,....nothing. I don't rightly know how I would have explained that away, if I had been bleeding. The nay sayers would have LOVED that.

Since you'll be dressing the ouchie, I think you've made the right choice to don a pair of minimalist shoes. Not only to protect the injury but also to preempt a probable field day from the shoddies.

Quick healing and good luck on your race!

We bleed on the ground; they

We bleed on the ground; they bleed in their shoes.

Thanks for this great input

Thanks for this great input and support. Major goal is to support barefoot running here. Do not want to give detractors any material to work with. So I am just going to run with Trail Gloves, do my best and go for a better time next year barefoot. There is minimal pain now and the adrenaline will get me through. Then back to healing.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7