Comments, Replies, and Discussions

rdwhitaker

Barefooters
Oct 24, 2010
When starting out, many of us have felt self-conscious about being seen running with no shoes! I had to overcome this as well.

I realized I would not be able to avoid other people and their comments, so why not make the best of it? I decided at first that I would keep on running until I had 'collected' five comments before heading home. This meant I had to look for other people to run near instead of avoiding them. If I didn't get my quota of comments on a run, I would strike up a conversation with someone. Usually it began with something like "Make way for a barefoot runner!" or else, "Are you really going to let an old barefoot guy pass you?!"

It was nice to find out that most of the comments I received were supportive or at least polite. I came up with some quick responses for those cretins who yelled the obvious stuff.

"Hey buddy! Did you forget your shoes?" "No -- shoes are for wimps! I don't need them!"

"Where are your shoes??" "I out-ran them! If you watch, you'll see them in about 10 minutes!"

"No shoes??" "Yep -- right here!" (showing a bandaid).

"Hey -- did you forget something?" (checking my clothes) "Nope -- I'm wearing my pants today!"

"Aren't you cold?" "Nope -- I'm feeling like hot stuff at the moment!"

"Doesn't that hurt your feet?" "Nope - I've learned not to touch the ground!"

"What about glass?" "Show me some and I won't step on it!"

Some of my favorite exchanges were these:

I stopped running to wait for a red light and traffic. A car across the street was full of gang-banger types. They rolled their windows down and called out, "Hey man, you ain't wearing shoes!" I told them, "Nope, I don't need them!" "But dude, You Ain't Wearing No Shoes!!" "Nope, I run barefoot!" "Listen, man -- I'm telling ya, YOU .. AIN'T .. GOT .. NO .. SHOES .. ON!!!" "I haven't worn them for six years!" They finally decided to just drive away, apparently not comprehending that I actually could run barefoot.

Another time I was running through the streets of downtown Portland. A foot patrol policeman saw me coming along at a pretty good clip. He called out, "You're more of a man than I am!" I just smiled and waved as I zipped past.

Sometimes I run around the waterfront sidewalks in downtown Portland. On one side its called the Tom McCall Waterfront park, and the other is called the East Esplanade. There are often homeless people there. I have stopped and spoken with some of them during my runs. One time I had run up through the streets of the downtown area. I stopped for a red light and a business woman waiting there asked me some things about my running style. Out of nowhere, this street lady appeared and started saying things to her, such as, "Its good for him! He runs like that all the time! It makes his feet stronger! Its a lot more fun that way!" I couldn't believe it -- my own cheerleader!

I was running in Vancouver and was heading towards a high school. It was lunch time and a lot of students were milling around outside. I saw a group of Goth boys, dressed in long black overcoats, lumberjack boots, spiked hair, tattoos, chains and piercings everywhere. I didn't want any trouble and I considered crossing the street to avoid them. What the heck? I ran towards them anyway. When I got close, one of them said, "Duuuude! You've got the original style!" Another one said, "Yeah, man. Native!" and the third one asked, "Doesn't that hurt?" I replied, "Not as much as those must have (pointing to his multiple piercings)" "Oh, right - Good one, man!" They gave me high-fives as their blessing and I ran on my way.

Not far from them, I came up to a few boys sitting on the grass in front of the school. One of them saw me and said, "Oh man, that's the Balls!" The other one said, "Running barefoot? No, man, that's the Ball's Balls!!" I'm still not sure exactly what they meant, but my running seemed to meet with their approval.

Another time in Portland, I was waiting for a light to change. A man and his little girl, about 5 or 6 years old, were waiting there. The girl kept staring and staring at me. I was waiting for the inevitable "no shoes" comment. I laughed, however, when she said to her father, "Daddy, that man doesn't have any pants on!" She thought my running briefs were underwear. Apparently going barefoot was no big deal to her.

Another time in Seattle, I was running near the Space Needle. A mother and her daughter were standing. The mother's face showed pure disgust upon seeing my bare feet. The girl kept staring at me while her mother told her, "Don't look!" "Don't stare!" Then the girl smiled sweetly and waved at me. Kids just "know" that going barefooted is more fun! "She gets it -- she really gets it!" I thought to myself.

I ran past a daycare center one time. The yard was full of kids playing outside. They saw me and almost as if on queue, they all repeated in a chorus, "Be sure to watch out for neeeee-dles!" "I will" I promised them.

For those people who genuinely want to know more about why I run barefoot, I often carry some business cards that have my name and say, Barefoot Runner" going on 6 years now! Natural! Fun! Healthy! Strong! and contain a reference to the running barefoot website. I hand them out so I don't have to interrupt my running to try to explain it all to them.

I thoroughly enjoyed that,

I thoroughly enjoyed that, Ryan. When someone says to me, "You lost your shoes!" I say, "Yep. A long time ago, thank God!"

These are classic. Thanks for sharing them here.

"Hey buddy! Did you forget your shoes?" "No -- shoes are for wimps! I don't need them!"

"Where are your shoes??" "I out-ran them! If you watch, you'll see them in about 10 minutes!"

"No shoes??" "Yep -- right here!" (showing a bandaid).

"Hey -- did you forget something?" (checking my clothes) "Nope -- I'm wearing my pants today!"

"Aren't you cold?" "Nope -- I'm feeling like hot stuff at the moment!"

"Doesn't that hurt your feet?" "Nope - I've learned not to touch the ground!"

"What about glass?" "Show me some and I won't step on it!"

I was picking up my son from

I was picking up my son from Kindergarten and other moms and younger siblings were waiting. A little girl looked at my feet, then looked at me and started to take off her own shoes. Her mom yelled " Keep yours shoes on! If you take off your shoes you will have to sit in the stroller". The kid looked at her mom, at my feet, at her mom. And then the mom gave me the look.

Kids know how it feel, too many adults forgot.

I still run barefoot to the school everyday, next to my 2 y old proudly riding her bike (without training wheels!), but other moms keep their kids at a safe distance from me. One mom keeps making comments every other day and this morning I explained that I run barefoot to prepare for an upcoming 10k that I plan to run barefoot. She was extremely surprised and politely asked a few questions.

The only time I wore shoes to school was because my nail polish was peeling off and I didn't have time to redo it. I didn't want people to see my toes looking neglected!

You should just comment to

You should just comment to them, "Shoes are so damaging to young, developing feet."

Great story, thanks for

Great story, thanks for sharing. I absolutely loved your responses. :)

I have an anecdote from a couple of weeks ago. I was out on an easy run one day, going out on a local running path and planned to turn around and double back after a couple of miles. Nearing the end of my run, I came up on a woman I had passed going the other way near my half way mark. I didn't expect to make that much ground up as I don't run fast barefoot. But I ended up passing her going the same way, and noticed that she was actually on the phone the whole time. Here was her little conversation:

Woman: "The barefoot girl is passing me."

Guy on the other end: "What?"

Woman: "The barefoot girl I told you about earlier is passing me. This is embarrassing!"

:p

You Go_Blue!

You Go_Blue!

I have to admit I absolutely

I have to admit I absolutely eat it up when people make comments like "you are so tough" and the like. I'm not tough at all! I always smile and say you just have to build up to it - you can do it too!

It's also interesting how people you ordinarily would not engage with become amazingly friendly when you're bfr (the gang-banger types and the goth guys).

One of my favorites happened

One of my favorites happened close to my home. I was running down a sidewalk. Up ahead was an older man waiting at a bus stop. He was not looking my way at first. He turned just as I got to within about 20 feet of him and his reaction was beautiful. He had a Chicago type of accent which added to his charm.

He jumped and his eyes grew wide. He said, "Tell me my eyes aren't seeing what I'm looking at!" I stopped and asked, What?

"I can't believe my eyes! Oh my goodness -- tell me you aren't actually running with no shoes on!" Before I could respond, he looked down at my feet again, and he jumped a second time and put one of his hands on his cheek. "Oh my Lord, you DON'T have shoes on, do you!? --- WHY do you DO that?"

I told him I had been running barefoot for years. He understood how it could be more natural, but he acted like he still couldn't believe I really was running that way. We had a very nice converstation about it. As I was ready to leave, he kept saying, "God bless you!" over and over.

I have seen him several times since then, and he is very positive and encouraging every time I see him. I count him as one of my "fans" out there.

Priceless reaction indeed,

Priceless reaction indeed, Ryan.

I had something similar but not as colorful from an older lady. She said, "You're not really running barefoot are you?" I just replied, "Yes I am."

This post is aweseome, these

This post is aweseome, these have all been crazy stories! It's hard to imagine some of those thngs, in my whole 'barefoot career' I've had 1 comment, which was just a 'oh, tough feet!'... and she was cute, so I'm putting that in the positive side.

I do notice I get honked at quite a bit, but that might just be because I'm in the road.

My favorite exchange was just

My favorite exchange was just a few months after I started BFR. I passed another runner going the opposite direction. She pointed at my feet and said, "You're not wearing any shoes!" I pointed at her knee brace and said, "I'm not wearing one of those either."

Peace,

Karen

That's a funny comment! Your

That's a funny comment! Your photo of feet looks like my feet after I have mowed the lawn! If anyone notices my stained feet, I just say that cholorphyl is also part of my diet.

It's so true though, huh

It's so true though, huh Karen, and they don't even have a clue how much better they can run and with less pain until you make a comment like that to start their wheels spinning.

Yesterday on a run I met a

Yesterday on a run I met a guy who had a heart attack recently. Only 30% of people with this kind of heart attack survive. He was running for health and to keep his cholesterol down. He was very positive about my barefoot running style and we had a long talk about it and other health tips during our 3 mile run together. Maybe he'll give barefoot running a try!

Ryan

One time a guy saw me running

One time a guy saw me running toward him and he called out, "You're either a Navy Seal -- or you're just crazy!"

I commented, "Neither -- I'm just happy and healthy!"

Now see, it's wrong when

Now see, it's wrong when someone is running in boat anchors and it causes them so much pain that they just give up on running. Running may have been something that could have potentially made them healthier and even saved their life, if they could have just found a way to run without the pain. That's what is special and great about barefoot running. Running barefoot gives those of us who have been labeled "defective" by the shoe industry and the medical field because their shoes and orthotics didn't work for us, didn't "correct" us, the ability to run without debilitating pain.

I was labeled defective.

I was labeled defective. After wearing a $130 brooks glycerin 8's, (which I stomped through the rubber at the heel in 2 months) not only that, it was the heaviest running shoe I had ever worn (14oz per shoe if I remember correctly). I am absolutely certain that "Brook's DNA" is code name for lead. So I went into a running store and the guy tried to fit me for a shoe for 2+ hours. He watched me run in probably 80% of the shoes he sold. But still could not understand why I was stomping through the heels, and suffering from these injuries. The fact that my left and right foot had different steps didn't help any. So I had to settle for "good as it gets" and bought a $110 pair of Asics... The shins only got worse from there, and oh what fun I also developed a new knee problem. 2 weeks barefoot and the shin pain was a bad memory, and I have not had to have the thought: Which is more important to me? Running, or not having to have my knees replaced in 20 or so years...? Defective? I beg to differ. :)

Ran by a road crew this

Ran by a road crew this morning heading out from my house- lady pointed and said Barefeet! I said good morning and kept going. On the return, the guys all said good morning and then noticed my feet- I got several comments like "damn!" and "oh, whoa, no shoes". Then the lady saw me again and asked me what was up with no shoes? I replied that the shoes hurt my feet! She shook her head and said "that's a total trip" and I laughed and agreed. Along with it being my longest BF run, that crew made my day. I know those guys were impressed even if they thought I was looney.

One time I was running when a

One time I was running when a van slammed on its brakes, and backed up so the driver could talk to me. He asked "Tell me you are running barefoot intentionally and that you're not just crazy!!" It turned out to be someone I knew. He was just making sure I wasn't having some kind of emergency.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7