Christmas decorations that may make some folks think they're on something!

Cool stuff. Also, it makes me

Cool stuff. Also, it makes me feel positively normal for just having bought a pink christmas tree. :santa:

That's pretty neat.  Where is

That's pretty neat. Where is the light positioned. How far is it projected?

Blind Boy: A pink tree, now

Blind Boy: A pink tree, now that is far out!

Barefoot TJ: I don't know any of the tech stuff but guess it must be from a reasonable distance as some of those buildings look fairly big (or perhaps they put a load of projectors together nearby)... Why, are you gonna get one? Go on, go on, go on, you know you want to, it'll be fantastic, you could have barefoot Santa running around the outside walls of your home and everything! Post the vid when you have it running ;-)

:santa:

That's why I asked because I

That's why I asked because I was wondering how far out they put the projectors, but how could they with all the other buildings blocking them? Oh well.

The way I see it is if you're

The way I see it is if you're not going to have a real tree, you might as well make it really fake. ;)

My cousin has a white one she

My cousin has a white one she decorates with red, white, and blue every year.

wait pink christmas trees

wait pink christmas trees aren't normal? :). I love mine!!!. I only put candy canes and lights on it though or it is a bit much. I have a green tree for real ornaments.

That Prague clock one is

That Prague clock one is great.

Barefoot TJ
:In case you really are interested...

I have worked on stuff where 3 projectors were used to present scenes in a "class room" for a simulator about 15 years ago and back then it was quite hard to get the 3 projectors to line up (& this is just on a cinema type screen) and the brightness meant you could not have a huge picture back then (within our budget). Oh, and I did not have anything to do with the lining up or projector tech so I may be way out on some of this... Of course, during in this time technology has clearly moved on a lot (or someone has very deep pockets). From what little I know, you're going to have to either go for 1 very bright projector (the easiest as no lining up to other projectors) which you will then have to make sure the lens is wide angle enough for what you want to cover or (the hard way) use multiple less bright projectors that will need very careful lining up (any error will be obvious & a pain for you). If your projector lens is not perfectly parallel with your wall you will need a way to correct the resulting distortion (so you really need to not only have the projector centred on the wall horizontally but vertically too - easier if there's a suitable building over the road & you don't mind dazzling passing cars!). Once you've got that sorted (& weather proof etc.) plug in your computer & animate away. If there is much street lighting or similar you will ideally want to turn it off so you can actually see your handy work. Sounds easy(ish) but your running time may suffer while you get it going. Having said that it could have fantastic potential for barefoot (or any other) publicity... :beer:

As a guide, those projectors people are using for home cinema (that I've seen) give a reasonable brightness picture if it is about 2 meters wide but mostly just in almost complete dark. If you double this size I'd say you will need 4 times the brightness (but that is just my guess) and you can not simply keep putting in a brighter bulb. The alternative is presumably going to be something "industrial" with, presumably, an industrial price tag. I did do a quick search and you can hire projectors so it may not be out of the questions...

It would be great to do but... time... money(?)... :santa:

Your description just makes

Your description just makes it all seem even more complex. If you have to use multiple projectors to make one image, then everything would have to be lined up perfectly, and while you are out there lining it up, you'd have to call projector dude number 2 to move to the left a little, then projector number 3 dude to move... And when you factor in how close the buildings are to one another, it's just beyond me. And yes, they must have a lot of money to pull that off.

OMG !!! That stuff is

OMG !!! That stuff is amazing! I was mesmerized by the clock. Good God! The production that was in involved from animation to projection. I am stunned.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon