Chicago Rock and Roll Half Marathon RR

Vendoskt

Barefooters
Mar 13, 2011
Michigan
I will keep this one short an sweet.

On Sunday I ran the Chicago Rock and Roll Half marathon barefoot. This was my very first race of any kind, and needless to say, I am now addicted to them. The atmosphere of a big race like this is just amazing. While training for this race, I had some problems with how to attach a timing chip, as is evident by my timing chip topic I started a few days ago. I went out and bought a cheap $3 pair of wrist bands. The wrist band was a little tight around my ankle at first, but it was soft and it stayed in place. By the end of the race I completely forgot that I even had it on. The course was beautiful, weaving its way through downtown Chicago. The crowd and the other runners were very supportive. It was encouraging to hear "go barefoot" instead of "go runners." I think mile 12 to 13 was actually my fastest mile, and the crowd helped greatly with that. The metal grating on the bridges were a little uncomfortable, but nothing I couldn't handle in small doses. I ran the first half with my sister in law, then sped up ahead of her for the last half. I finished in 2:02:01, which is a time I am very happy with, and I guess is a new PR (it was my first official half marathon after all, so anything would be a new PR). Along the way I saw one other barefoot runner. I was on the move, so I only had time to say hello as I passed him. All in all I had a blast. This was my first race ever, but many more are to come.

Excellent!  Glad you got that

Excellent! Glad you got that timing chip thing figured out and the ankle pain's gone. Congrats on a great time too! I can see you getting that under 2 hours very soon.

Wow congrats, those metal

Wow congrats, those metal bridges are scary. Great time Chicago is a very cool place to run.

Usually for the timing chip I just use one of my old shoelaces and tie it a little loose on the ankle and then attach the chip.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon