Carrying your minshoes as backups

It's interesting that someone with your mileage and terrain capability is susceptible.

Thanks Bare Lee, but somewhere I have given the wrong impression. Reminds me of the Brad Paisley song Online.

I don't like to place myself in category, but I would consider my level to be half-marathon distance at the moment. Although I have had several successful long runs in the last 2 months, my weekly mileage is lacking. As for terrain capability, I don't think my conditions are any rougher than what others are running on, I just need to toughen up.

Definitely a link between BF running and beer. I have noticed that most threads will eventually gravitate toward the subject.

Reactions: Zetti
Thanks Bare Lee, but somewhere I have given the wrong impression. Reminds me of the Brad Paisley song Online.

I don't like to place myself in category, but I would consider my level to be half-marathon distance at the moment. Although I have had several successful long runs in the last 2 months, my weekly mileage is lacking. As for terrain capability, I don't think my conditions are any rougher than what others are running on, I just need to toughen up.
I guess it's just variability on a day-to-day basis then. Sometimes just a half-mile section of mild chip seal feels like too much for me, but I can often do up to five miles on mild chipseal without at any problem, and at a decent pace. I was surprised that this still happens to you because you seem to run on those kinds of surfaces all the time, whereas for me it's just once a week or less.

I have just been forcing myself to do it. Part experiment (it's fun to see the progression and adaptation) and part sole conditioning. But I am beginning to doubt myself a little lately. It sure is nice to run on a debris free path once in a while and not have to worry about rocks all of the time.

I have just been forcing myself to do it. Part experiment (it's fun to see the progression and adaptation) and part sole conditioning. But I am beginning to doubt myself a little lately. It sure is nice to run on a debris free path once in a while and not have to worry about rocks all of the time.
Yah, I don't mind different surfaces and small debris, but it's a drag to constantly watch your step for bigger stuff and run 2-3 mm slower pace. Ideally I would run compacted dirt trails most of the time, with just one gravelly run per week and no city sidewalks or asphalt. But that's not my current reality. Here in St. Paul I have five, fairly bland flavors to choose from: sidewalks, smooth lake and river path asphalt, slightly rougher street asphalt, mild chipseal, and somewhat gravelly dirt junior high school track. The nearest decent trail is a 25-to-30-minute commute away. Today I'm thinking of running on the smooth asphalt paths along the Mississippi River and try to push the pace a bit. I do like the smooth asphalt for tempo runs and fartleks.

Yah, I don't mind different surfaces and small debris, but it's a drag to constantly watch your step for bigger stuff and run 2-3 mm slower pace. Ideally I would run compacted dirt trails most of the time, with just one gravelly run per week and no city sidewalks or asphalt. But that's not my current reality. Here in St. Paul I have five, fairly bland flavors to choose from: sidewalks, smooth lake and river path asphalt, slightly rougher street asphalt, mild chipseal, and somewhat gravelly dirt junior high school track. The nearest decent trail is a 25-to-30-minute commute away. Today I'm thinking of running on the smooth asphalt paths along the Mississippi River and try to push the pace a bit. I do like the smooth asphalt for tempo runs and fartleks.
Ah yes, a compacted dirt trail. I have some of those, but it takes some rough to get there. I live in the exact opposite conditions and actually have to drive to find pavement. The highway is about 1 mile away, but I can't run on it. No shoulder and surprisingly a lot of traffic for a rural area. It would be an accident waiting to happen. I have thought about wearing a headlamp and trying it in the middle of the night. Why even mess with pavement? Because all of the races I enter are on pavement. I would love to enter more trail races, but they are so far away. Also, I need to learn to run pain free on all surfaces. I use to blame the road for my knee problems. I now know it was a form issue.

Ah yes, a compacted dirt trail. I have some of those, but it takes some rough to get there. I live in the exact opposite conditions and actually have to drive to find pavement. The highway is about 1 mile away, but I can't run on it. No shoulder and surprisingly a lot of traffic for a rural area. It would be an accident waiting to happen. I have thought about wearing a headlamp and trying it in the middle of the night. Why even mess with pavement? Because all of the races I enter are on pavement. I would love to enter more trail races, but they are so far away. Also, I need to learn to run pain free on all surfaces. I use to blame the road for my knee problems. I now know it was a form issue.
Yah, it's cool how each surface elicits different form. Sometimes I look down to see what my feet are up to, or try to feel what adjustments my knees or hips may have made. They so smart.