barefoot running infographic

rickwhitelaw

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Beryl Utah
This just came out on naturally engineered. The first comment made me a little upset. Anyone else? What qualifies this doctor to make any comments on barefoot running? The only doctor's advice I will accept about bf running is advice from one that also barefoot runs. I thought David's response was good, but Dr. John will probably not even read it.

http://naturallyengineered.com/blog/free-your-feet-barefoot-running-infographic/

Dr. John:  Some foot types

Dr. John: Some foot types cannot accomodate bf running.

David: No argument from me there, years of wearing shoes can deform the human foot.

Brilliant!

Okay, here's what I posted: 

Okay, here's what I posted: (Hope it sounds okay, as I am a little high on pain meds right now.)

Dr., with all due respect, I would think someone such as yourself who has studied the human foot and the biomechanics thereof would understand that the most natural state of the foot is to be…natural, not confined and restricted in shoes, shoes that cause deformities and crippling pain. Don’t you realize that the majority of the people you see on a daily basis, shoe wearers, are there because of the types of shoes they have worn throughout their lifetimes? Most of the foot ailments “we in the supposed developed nations” experience are void in those areas that are less developed, those areas where the population lives barefoot.

Studies show the number one cause of Morton’s Neuroma is the types of shoes we wear. Over the past 10 days, I have had two surgeries to remove the neuromas from my feet (two in each foot), directly related to the types of shoes I used to wear. Had I lived completely barefoot since day one, I would not be in this predicament.

No one is saying all shoes are bad. What we are saying is that only those shoes that allow the foot to move in a way in which The Creator designed it to should be worn, and only when they are truly needed, extreme temps and terrain. The typical elevated heel, thick padded, confining, disfiguring shoe the medical community overlooks yet blindly promotes is not a healthy option for everyday wear (over barefoot).

Studies show that aging adults and the elderly have a higher chance of falling due to the lack of proprioception not just at the moment of their fall but also due to the lack of “feeling” the ground beneath them throughout their lifetimes. The connection from the foot to the brain has been increasingly extinguished. The elderly in underdeveloped nations do not suffer the same high incidents of falls that we do.

The human foot is not broken nor defective and is quite adaptable to most conditions. Somehow, we managed to survive above nearly all other species without the types of footwear that we wear today and without any type of footwear for millions of years prior. If living barefoot and chasing down our prey barefoot over these past millennia would have been detrimental to our survival as a species on this earth, then we would have no doubt become extinct. Yet, I am here speaking with you today.

Leonardo da Vinci wrote, “The human foot is a masterpiece of engineering and a work of art.” He truly understood the beauty of the human foot in its natural state.

Miker is in the process of

Miker is in the process of offering him the Stomp of Approval for his site.

pfft I would like to think

pfft I would like to think that most any foot "type" can transition to barefoot running. However the Doc failed to make the point that certain medical conditions may make barefoot anything quite hazardous, such as certain types of diabetes.

Also his point that there were no paved roads or other such hard surfaces thousands of years ago isn't really valid, as there were and still are very hard surfaces occurring naturally.

Good post to him there,

Good post to him there, Patrick.

So I have some time, since I'm just lying around in bed and notice the doc answered my post:

@barefoot tj

I agree with your evolutionary biology explanation of the foot.

However, it’s the discordant interaction of the species with environment which is disease-producing. For millions of years we did not have concrete, any floors, sidewalks, asphalt, nor also any type of shoe. You can’t just blame shoes. Foot deformaties and certain sports/injuries can be blamed as well.

Our environment is much, much different today, than before. We evolved without our current “floors”….

Read more: http://naturallyengineered.com/blog/free-your-feet-barefoot-running-infographic/#ixzz1jkw7wz5w

So I replied: Dr., first,

So I replied:

Dr., first, let’s tackle this comment “You can’t just blame shoes. Foot deformities and certain sports/injuries can be blamed as well.” I agree. But tell me, what component do most if not all of your patients have in common when they come to see you for their foot deformities (barring birth defects) and injuries? Shoes.

You really should do some research about the surfaces that cover various, entire regions of the earth. I was completely surprised when I learned what our predecessors/ancestors used to run and walk on. Humans have traversed much harder surfaces than what we walk and run across today. The manmade surfaces of today are much more barefoot-friendly than some of the textures our species use to travel over. Don’t forget about lava, stone, unbroken plates of granite, and the desert floor, miles and miles of it. But we managed to do it, and we did it barefoot.

Getting a disease from the ground is a very, very rare thing, and I can point you to many who have done exhaustive research in this area to settle your concerns if you wish.

About the harder, flatter manmade surfaces you are referring to versus the soft, cushiony running shoes adopted by so many today and supported by the medical community: a study was conducted by Dr. Daniel Lieberman, PhD, at Harvard, and others called “Foot strike patterns and collision forces in habitually barefoot versus shod runners” and was published in the Nature Journal. (Lieberman DE, Venkadesan M, Werbel WA, Daoud AI, D’Andrea S, Davis IS, Mang’eni RO, Pitsiladis Y. (2010) Foot strike patterns and collision forces in habitually barefoot versus shod runners. Nature 463: 531-5.) Here’s the link exposed: http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/Nature2010_FootStrikePatternsandCollisionForces.pdf

Here is a summary of their findings: Our research asked how and why humans can and did run comfortably without modern running shoes. We tested and confirmed what many people knew already: that most experienced, habitually barefoot runners tend to avoid landing on the heel and instead land with a forefoot or midfoot strike. The bulk of our published research explores the collisional mechanics of different kinds of foot strikes. We show that most forefoot and some midfoot strikes (shod or barefoot) do not generate the sudden, large impact transients that occur when you heel strike (shod or barefoot). Consequently, runners who forefoot or midfoot strike do not need shoes with elevated cushioned heels to cope with these sudden, high transient forces that occur when you land on the ground. Therefore, barefoot and minimally shod people can run easily on the hardest surfaces in the world without discomfort from landing. If impact transient forces contribute to some forms of injury, then this style of running (shod or barefoot) might have some benefits, but that hypothesis remains to be tested.

Now why do you suppose that is? Not only does our gait change to a natural stride (non heel-striking) reducing the impact forces traveling up our bodies, but when we remove shoes with elevated heels and cushioning, we also instinctively know to step lightly when traversing difficult or rough terrain (manmade or natural). Studies show that when we are wearing shoes, we lose our ability to gauge feedback from the ground, our proprioception is compromised. In fact, you don’t even need a study to tell you this. We bolt down the road or across the trail without concern for the shock forces now traveling up our bodies, through our feet, legs, hips, spine, and necks.

Try this tonight (or at least imagine it). I’m guessing you live near an asphalt street, yes? With your shoes on, run a good 1/8 of a mile and give it your all; after all, you’ll tend to believe the shoes will protect you, the shoes will do all the work for you, and you may not even know there is a problem developing as the injury(ies) may be cumulative. Then do the same thing barefoot, giving it your all. Not only will you find that your instincts will kick in, and you step more lightly, but if you heel-striked in those shoes previously (as most runners do, not all), you have a good chance of being one of the majority who stop heel-striking the moment the shoes are taken off.

There’s a whole lot more to our sport than what most doctors understand, which is a shame, really.

But don’t worry. We don’t predict the shoe revolution dying out anytime soon, so you’ll have lots of business from your shoe-wearing patients.

One favor though, please? When a runner comes to you and says they were injured while running barefoot in their Vibram FiveFinger toe gloves (“barefoot shoes”), please make the distinction and tell them they were actually running shod. It will be a very, very rare occasion when you actually do treat a true barefoot runner.

Read more: http://naturallyengineered.com/blog/free-your-feet-barefoot-running-infographic/#ixzz1jkw7wz5w

I love your response TJ,

I love your response TJ, especially the bit at the end where you capped it off with make sure the runner is truly barefoot, not shod in "barefoot shoes". (Paraphrasing)

Another great post TJ,I

Another great post TJ,

I believe I ran on a surface harder than concrete today, frozen dirt. No problems, like you said in your post, I just adjusted and landed very lightly.

A little story about disease. I have battled athlete's foot for my whole life. One year it was so bad, I had to go to the ER because I thought I had broken my foot. After an exam and x-rays, it was determined that I had an infection. Ointments and lots of pills prescribed. Not one mention of the cause - a moist environment created by my shoes. My wife had to clean my feet in the evenings and squeeze the pus out of my foot until it cleared up. A true test of marriage. Fast forward to this year, not one case of athlete's foot, not even an itch. I spent as much time as possible barefoot and in sandals, even at work (luckily, I'm the boss). Now my son is having the same problem, but shoes are required at his school. Does he need to take a Dr's prescription to the school to not wear shoes?

Not having athlete's foot is only one benefit of my new barefoot life. The others include no more PF, less knee pain, better balance, increased circulation in my feet, less sickness (yes, I do believe in grounding), maintaining my weight, and so on and on and on. So in my case, the benefits far outweigh any risk of picking up a disease from the ground or the other conditions that Dr. John mentioned.

Rick

Rick, please copy out your

Rick, please copy out your comment here and add it to David's site (link in OP). I think your angle is a good one and should be shared there, for prosterity's sake. ;-)

About the pus? TMI! But do share pictures if you should have them for back when. Love pictures.

As for your child, most DEFINITELY, take him to the doctor and get a doctor's excuse for him to wear at least flip-flops to school. You have a right to take care of the health of your children in whichever way you deem fit, as long as it's not detrimental to them or their lives.

"Without medical education,

"Without medical education, nor years of podiactric experiences, it’s best to not comment on bf running."

HAHAHAHA! wow, the guy is a real cartoon character. TJ - your replies are thorough, well-written and bullet-proof, and will fly right past this 'Dr.' John who can't even spell. I think he should get an MA in English before posting on the internet again.

David - very nice blog you got there, btw :)

Here's a few representative

Here's a few representative photos:

Stage one - itchy - better get those SHOES off and dry those feet off. Ointments only make it itch more.

images

Stage two - cracks appear - very painful

images

Stage three - infection has set in and your foot starts to swell.

images

Stage four - you're on antibiotics, paying doctor's bills, can't walk, and your wife is squeezing pus out of your foot.

(No picture necessary)

And back to the

And back to the infographic,

I really like the timeline. Also, one stat stood out: 9 out of 10 people get injured training for a marathon.

My family is 3 for 3. I hurt my knee, my sister-in-law hurt her ankle and then her heel, and my cousin hurt her hip and had to miss her first marathon attempt.

The stat that I've heard

The stat that I've heard before is that 80% of all shod runners period, will get injured, whether marathon training or not.

Thank you, Willie.  I knew

Thank you, Willie. I knew you could hang on through my long-winded replies.

Nick, those pictures are gross but great in that they tell the truth. You must pretty please post this stuff over there. :)

I had a bad case of the

I had a bad case of the retard... I mean I was really eaten up with the dumb ass when I was a shod runner...

Then I went barefoot!

Thats not to say I've gotten any better, just proving that even an idiot such as myself can figure out that running barefoot is better than running shod!

rickwhitelaw wrote:Here's a

rickwhitelaw said:
Here's a few representative photos:

Stage one - itchy - better get those SHOES off and dry those feet off. Ointments only make it itch more.

Stage two - cracks appear - very painful

Stage three - infection has set in and your foot starts to swell.

Stage four - you're on antibiotics, paying doctor's bills, can't walk, and your wife is squeezing pus out of your foot.

(No picture necessary)

DUUUUUDE!

Wow...

Better now, I hope!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon