Barefoot & InvisiShoe for a Newbie Question

I've just begun my journey from shod to barefoot, as I've mentioned before, having run exclusively barefoot since Sept. 1 with relatively short runs (always less than 2 miles, usually much less). In general, I'm pleased with my progress so far. Most of my shod running tended to be on dirt trails, and I just naturally gravitated toward that when starting my barefoot transition. However, I think that trails may not be the right choice at this stage of the transition -- my form weaknesses are manifesting as awful blistering from the gritty surfaces. So, for most of my regular runs, I've gone to rough asphalt and pavement, which allows me to focus on my form and doesn't seem to amplify my transgressions as much as dirt trails do.

However, I just love being on those trails, and miss the experience, particularly as fall approaches (yes, we DO have seasons here in SoCal). So, I bought a pair of Invisible Shoes, in the hopes that they would allow me to get back out on the trails without the downsides of doing so strictly barefoot.

My question to you good people is this: at this early stage of my transition, does this seem like a sensible approach, or am I perhaps compromising my barefoot form adaptation by adding Invisible Shoes into the mix? Would it be better for me to just give up the trail runs for the time being and focus solely on developing good barefoot form on rough paved surfaces, then add trails later? I'm willing to do so if, in the long term, it'll mean that when I eventually DO return to the dirt, it'll be with good form and a greatly reduced chance of injury.

Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

If you want to run on the trails Thom, run them. I wouldn't add the invisible shoes though unless absolutely necessary. Trail running can teach you a lot about barefoot form and will help strengthen up your feet and lower leg muscles faster.

I would recommend barefoot only. Without going too much into my history, I had the fastest progression and fewest injuries by going barefoot for the majority of my runs. I did have to sacrifice some trail for pavement. After some time you will be able to introduce some trails back into your running. In fact, I recommend that you still do short distances of rough. Use the Invisible Shoes for casual wear and after you have given your barefoot transition some time you can start experimenting with them.

I apologize if some of my recent posts about shoe use and trails have confused you. You get on a barefoot running site and they are talking about shoes?

Reactions: ThomDavid
I'm not a good example, but i've been mixing shod/bf after about only 2 months transition. Winter started, the roads around my house are really rough w/ only one 1mile loop of chip/seal i can like bf, gravel yada yada.......

The first 2 months, though, I was bare all the time, up until I was happy with about 4-5 miles bf on hard smooth surfaces, well, that coincided with winter temps/freezing rain and such.

It can be done? I guess, I'm doing it/did it. After a year of transition, though, it's only recently that I feel my form suffers only a LITTLE in minimal shoes (whereas before it suffered a LOT and I had to concentrate on every moment).

That said, I now love the freedom my huaraches give me to explore roads and trails and gravel that I wouldn't want to do bf.

Everybody's different, and I agree, it's probably best to be completely bare as long as humanly possible, then be bare as often as possible, especially if you are getting sore/injured.

You are only dabbling your toes in the BF pond, so far. I'd give the shoes a rest for a while until you are farther along in your development. My experience was to go from couch to BF for 4 months of mosstly gravel trails and pavement before I bought my Vibrams.

You can do it! As I stated at the beginning this post, you've hardly begun to sort your form or your feet out. I'll bet that a couple weeks more on pavement will get you far enough along that you will be able to start working your feet back onto the trails without any sort of damage.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon