Barefoot Evolution

Ok, so I know it takes a while to get your feet in shape, and I was totally pumped to be able to get 2 days of 4 miles in last week with no discomfort. It was an asphalt run with some concrete and 1.5 miles of wood chip trail. I was feeling great and decided to try my 5x1's bf and was only able to get 2 miles BF. I rested 4 days and went to do an easy 4 miles BF Monday, and my feet are killing me. I got a big patch of dead skin on my left foot that came off, and a spot on the inside ball and outside ball of each foot that feels bruised.

I guess I am just looking for some input here as to why I feel inconsistent, and why it feels great one day, but doing the same thing multiple days hurts so bad. Also, how much time should I wait between BF runs?

I think it just takes time. Most of us have spent years with our feet crammed into STYLISH footwear that did us no favors. I also secretly think it's the universe's way of not only having a good laugh but testing our persistence. I don't know your BF history, but maybe shorter distances for now. If you are losing skin, likely it's a function of your stride - maybe an adjustment is needed?

Maybe take a day off in between runs to let your skin and feet settle and heal. I used to do that when I was starting up and increasing miles. It works. Just don't run back to back days until you really are able.

Sounds like too much too soon, as well as form issues. I myself realized I had to learn barefoot walking before running. All I do right now is walk, and my skin is still adjusting day by day. Takes time.

Wait, you're giving up and going back to shoes??

It depends on how many miles you are running and on what terrain. For me, I can run 2-3 miles every day on asphalt. If it's going to be 3-5ish then I have to run every other day. For trail running, for about 5 miles, I can do that twice a week. So, it really depends.

Well...minimalist shoes, it looks like (Branca's are Huaraches - somewhat like the Invisible Shoes...)

I toy with either alternating (minimalist and BFR, intermixed) or just toughing it out and living with the growth curve...

I am definitely not going back to shoes, but to keep my training up for my half ironman in may I am going to have to alternate.

I have been converting since February, I am just too impatient I suppose. I enjoy running BF so much it frustrates me to have to wait. I can do my easy runs bf up to 4 miles no problem, I think where I got into trouble this week was doing an interval run (5x1) where all my attention was focused on maintaining pace. I beat my feet up that day.

It depends on how many miles you are running and on what terrain. For me, I can run 2-3 miles every day on asphalt. If it's going to be 3-5ish then I have to run every other day. For trail running, for about 5 miles, I can do that twice a week. So, it really depends.

Hey Jen, how long have you been running BF? That might give me some perspective on where I am and how long it will take me to get to where you are.

Hey Jen, how long have you been running BF? That might give me some perspective on where I am and how long it will take me to get to where you are.

9 months. I am NOT a competitive runner by any means. I noticed your comment about focusing on your pace -perhaps rather than focusing enough on your form? That may explain a lot. Quality over quantity always. The better your form, the faster your pace will become, anyway.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7