Barefoot Benefits beyond running

Barefootpuffin

Barefooters
Aug 22, 2011
New blog post up at my blog. I propose my argument for why being barefoot for more than just running is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle. Let me know what you think even if you disagree. I'm always open for debate.

Thanks,

Aaron

Don't recall you from the SBL

Don't recall you from the SBL and noticed you don't mention the group.

Are you a new barefoot lifestyler or just don't care for them?

Longboard wrote:Don't recall

Longboard said:
Don't recall you from the SBL and noticed you don't mention the group.

Are you a new barefoot lifestyler or just don't care for them?

I'm a new barefoot lifestyler...Been running barefoot longer than living, and I'm still in the process of making the change. I just haven't stumbled upon the Society of barefoot living yet. That's all. Thanks for the reply though. I'll be sure to look into them later this evening after my run.

Thanks,

Aaron

The Society for Barefoot

The Society for Barefoot Living

barefooters.org

is the original barefoot lifestyle on-line group. The website has a wealth of information, and most searches involving "barefoot" will find the group at the top of the heap.

I have been a member for many years, and what membership offers is access to the discussion forum.

In my opinion the forum needs new blood, and I would love to see new people posting there.

Progress in advancing barefoot access is my dream, and together we can work towards that goal.

If the membership of the SBL does not enthusiasticaly welcome BFRunners and want to work with them in that endeaver, I suggest that we develope a dedicated barefoot access sub-section here and do it ourselves.

I appreciate your blog post. 

I appreciate your blog post. You echo many of my own thoughts and feelings.

Living with bare feet is much healthier than living with footwear for so many reasons. As I've learned, when we wear shoes, they prohibit the blood flow to our feet, therefore we lack needed oxygen, nutrients, and capillaries. Shoes prevent the benefits of reflexology. Shoes cause foot and nail fungus. It goes on and on. Studies show that the foot aliments we suffer in "developed nations" do not exist in "underdeveloped countries."

Our bare feet are the best possible "footwear" we need, for most conditions. We are very well capable of adapting to the cold and the heat, but there are limits there as well. Either extreme can be dangerous (or painful). Our ancestors already learned this lesson long ago and came up with some healthy, minfootwear options (moccasins, huaraches), so we don't need to reinvent the wheel. We don't need to relive martyrdom.

Yes, the oxymoron is a pain. I have a strong distaste for New Balance's latest slogan. But I have had to come to terms with minfootwear companies using the term "Barefoot Shoes." As Jason, says, it brings credibility to the real thing, people take notice, and as I say, it brings people to healthier running. Let's face it. When it's all said and done, most people aren't going to run barefoot. So if we can get them to at least ditch their foot coffins and opt for minfootwear, then we've all won. If that means humoring the minfootwear companies in order to kill the boat anchors, then that's what we’re going to have to do. I had to decide, did I want to turn my back on the minimalist shoe companies who are making healthier footwear options and become exclusive to barefooting only, or did I want to embrace this change that is taking place and help it on along. I chose the latter. I would much rather see people wearing healthier footwear than the crap that's out there today and seeing them suffer in the way I have (and still do today, three years after ditching the shoes) because of the shoes they wear. I'd rather put my pride aside and see more people living and running happier and healthier.

What ticks me off is when people running in minfootwear get injured and go to their doctors for treatment claiming that they were injured while running barefoot, when they actually had something on their feet. It seems no one wants to report the honest truth. The doctors who are against our way of living and running, who feel we are a threat to their livelihood somehow, are just happy to have the lies to report, in hopes to silence us and our way of thinking/living, and the reporters are all about sensationalism. I’ve seen it all too often in news article after news article. The interviewee states, “I was injured running barefoot in my Vibram FiveFingers,” but the reporter doesn’t care to make the distinction in the headline. Runner is Injured While Running Barefoot! They aren't gathering the facts. I would rather they said, “I was injured running in my ‘barefoot running shoes’.” At least they used the word SHOES! If anyone truly cared to document the truth, I’m sure the facts would show that true barefoot runners are not the ones getting injured as often as has been stated, but rather it’s the minfootwear runners.

But we can’t blame the minimalist shoes or the minfootwear companies entirely. There are a few good companies trying to do the right thing out there. They have established safe barefoot and minimalist running documentation on their sites, established links to resources that will help people make safe transitions (whether that be from traditional footwear to minfootwear or barefoot), and are creating curriculums so safe barefoot running can be taught. STEM Footwear, VivoBarefoot, and Merrell come to mind. Most people who have been injured will admit that they did not make the necessary sacrifices needed in order to make a safe transition. Bottom line is we must take responsibility for ourselves first and foremost.

If the membership of the SBL

If the membership of the SBL does not enthusiasticaly welcome BFRunners and want to work with them in that endeaver, I suggest that we develope a dedicated barefoot access sub-section here and do it ourselves.

Board, the SBL doesn't support/welcome us? Why?

We could start our own SBL-type forum over here, where we could talk about ordinances, school footwear policies, so-called laws, etc. What should we call it?

It's not that they have

It's not that they have anything against runners, it's just that they have been around for a very long time and are pretty much set in their ways.

They originaly were afraid of fetishists having a field day with the membership, so they created a complex process for joining.

They would turn down people for not being "barefoot enough", i.e. the person that loved going barefoot but did'nt believe it was the right thing to do in a store or restaurant.

Any mention or reference to liking seeing the opposite sex barefoot was censored, and it continues to this day being moderated by a team that has to approve all posts.

As a result the younger barefooters lose interest quickly, and the active membership has not really grown to numbers that can make a difference.

I have called for change several times, but many of the long time members (some of them older than me!) like it just the way it is, and cite the popularity of the website as proof of a good thing.

The fact is that the website (founded by Paul J. Lucas decades ago) IS the single best barefoot resource avalable, but the discussion forum has been kind of drifting aimlessly.

I believe that ALL barefoot runners that want to promote barefoot acceptance should join the SBL and use that forum for that purpose. If nothing ends up being accomplished there, possibly this site should be where we pursue the effort.

"I believe that ALL barefoot

"I believe that ALL barefoot runners that want to promote barefoot acceptance should join the SBL and use that forum for that purpose. If nothing ends up being accomplished there, possibly this site should be where we pursue the effort."

If they're dead-set in their ways, though, a new-member flood will probably only irritate them a little... The most "effortless" thing to do would be the "We could start our own SBL-type forum over here, where we could talk about ordinances, school footwear policies, so-called laws, etc." option, and perhaps those at SBL with accounts could link to anything at the forum here that has good information.

Skyalmian wrote:"I believe

Skyalmian said:
"I believe that ALL barefoot runners that want to promote barefoot acceptance should join the SBL and use that forum for that purpose. If nothing ends up being accomplished there, possibly this site should be where we pursue the effort."

If they're dead-set in their ways, though, a new-member flood will probably only irritate them a little... The most "effortless" thing to do would be the "We could start our own SBL-type forum over here, where we could talk about ordinances, school footwear policies, so-called laws, etc." option, and perhaps those at SBL with accounts could link to anything at the forum here that has good information.

I'm all for setting up a SBL forum here. I'd even moderate it if given the opportunity. I don't really know how that works around here...seniority or what not. I'd also urge, even though it isn't of this forum, that everyone check out the Primal Foot Alliance. They advocate barefoot living, in my opinion, in a much friendlier and open way than the SBL does.

However, I do like the idea of starting a Barefoot Living forum over here.

Board?  Thoughts?

Board? Thoughts?

The SBL has great resources,

The SBL has great resources, but they really don't accomplish very much as far as promoting barefoot acceptance. One reason is that the founder no longer has any power, another is that without a chief nothing ever gets done.

The guy that REALLY knows how to handle the acceptance, legal, and promotion thing is a sometimes BRS contributor and barefoot tennis player/hiker with the screen name here of Acuah.

He has a great blog on barefoot issues: http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/ and has brought legal action against libraries and governmental entities. He has been featured on NPR's Michael Feldman's "What'Ya Know", and really has what it takes.

If we could get someone like HIM to carry the torch for barefoot rights we would be looking pretty good!

Wonder if he's interested?

So no forum here then?  Bad

So no forum here then? Bad idea? Good idea?

Good idea. SBL website brings

Good idea. SBL website brings the important messege to the people and is a great site to direct the misinformed to, but as a discussion forum and orginization for change it is seriously lacking.

I believe that the barefoot runners that really DO want to expand barefoot life acceptance could accomplish more right here since they would not be hindered by an ageing commitee leadership.

BUT, we would need a true expert to lead this movement, I'm more of a guarilla one-on-one shoot from the hip style fighter, frequently using deciept and whatever it takes to get the barefoot way acceptred and have never really used the "system" well.

A guy like Acuah could really do it right.

Perhaps instead of a forum,

Perhaps instead of a forum, we can add materials to the Library above, letters to carry, supposed laws that don't exist, stuff I mentioned before. I wonder if he or you would take that on though.

Finally I've found a forum

Finally I've found a forum where I feel like my opinion matters. I never thought my blog post would start this much of a talk over here, particularly after only being a member for a few days. I'm quite impressed with the community here, and even more impressed with the seriousness with which the members here take being barefoot. Truly an awesome experience thus far.

That stuff's readily

That stuff's readily available at the SBL's excellent website. We can just direct people there.

BUT what they don't have is fresh blood willing to make waves.

Without leadership and direction, it could backfire.

With the right chief though, it could lead to positive outcomes.

I'll run this by Acuah.

For me, there are some

For me, there are some peculiar issues that cross-pollinate to both communities. I am fine with wearing shoes a lot of the time and don't mind it in stores, work, etc. - it's an issue, though, sometimes if I am running and then need to go in a store and then I might need the resources that SBL has available, but I'm not really interested in getting into a fine-toothed discussion about barefoot purity, KWIM? I guess what I'm saying is that BF runners needs might overlap but our perspective might differ to a great degree from what the SBL forum is about and I would hate to promote an influx when they don't seem to really need that. Wouldn't mind a sticky thread here.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon