Ask the Doc Forum is now a Column

Done.

Done.

Liz, this is what Doc had to

Liz, this is what Doc had to say:
Her plan sounds fine. Generally, if the fx is healed and there is no pain, I would go with very little support, maybe a thin shoe, no heal, and a flimsy support in it.

Thanks TJ and Doc!!My

Thanks TJ and Doc!!

My concern is about pain.

There is still something else going on in my foot - pain along the top, outside edge of the fifth metatarsal. (Ortho thinks this might be a peroneal tendon thing.) And, more disturbingly, an occasional pain along the line about the joints of the 3rd-5th metatarsals with the lateral cuneiform and cuboid.

I can't tell if it's the fx (as it's close by) or something else. So, I'm favoring the fx idea... which has me freaked out and not wanting to do much of anything. Wondering - Is this thing healing? Have I broken it again? Have I undone the last 4 weeks in a cast, back to square one?

(Meanwhile, all I've done since the aircast came off is walk about my daily life [very small ranch house, occasional errands] in a very, very, very stiff-soled shoe.)

Nevertheless... I'm planning to let pain (and prudence) by my guide. And, if, when the time comes to start "running" again, I have any doubt, I will see my doctor again.
I'm a week out from running. Right now, I'm thinking I'll go out in my x-country flats (thinnest shoes I have outside of VFFs, ZEMs, and aqua socks) - there's a bit more heel than I'd like, but almost everything has some sort of heel.

Liz, I heard back from Doc.

Liz, I heard back from Doc. This is what he has to say about your latest post:
I think, in general, when something is healing or painful, supportive shoe lessen the stress and strain on the area healing and lessen the need for the muscles to work. This allows the area to rest. Once the healing is done and/or pain is gone, there should be a gradual transition back to less supportive shoes and eventually, minimalist shoes and/or barefoot shoes. MN

I have a question for the Doc

I have a question for the Doc (or anyone else who may have the answer). I think I have either a stress fracture or a neuroma. My essential question is this: Can a stress fracture start out by feeling numb or tingly?

My second and third toes on my left foot go numb and tingly feeling when I run. At first, several weeks ago, this tingly feeling would go away shortly after my run was over. More recently, this area has become tight feeling all day, almost painful (and I am not sure, but I think it looks very slightly swollen). Due to the tingly feeling, I originally thought this might be a neuroma. However, it is now starting to feel more like a stress fracture (I had one last year). The "pain-like feeling", as I am calling it, seems to be centered at the base of my third toe (in the metatarsal-phalangeal joint, I think its called).

This all began once I started to wear minimalist shoes full-time once the cold weather arrived (before that I was doing about 50% barefoot / 50% minimalist shoes). I think the shoes may have allowed me to overdo it, in terms of speed not distance, despite being, I thought, rather well transitioned and conditioned (having started this over a year ago). I should have been more careful, I guess.

Thank you!

I'll pass your post onto the

I'll pass your post onto the Doc and get back with you shortly. Thanks.

I've made an appointment with

I've made an appointment with the good Doctor for this coming Wednesday (12/22). :)

The symptoms I've had since injuring my foot three months ago have not lessened - despite real rest, supportive shoes, aircast, and soft-tissue work.

Hoping he'll have some ideas that my Ortho and ART/Chiro have not.

Hi Joe, Doc said he would be

Hi Joe, Doc said he would be working on your answer/column this weekend, so I'll post it just as soon as I get it.

Good luck at the doctor's office, Liz. I hope that visit will be the start to your finally healing.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Hi Joe,

Barefoot TJ said:
Hi Joe, Doc said he would be working on your answer/column this weekend, so I'll post it just as soon as I get it.

Good luck at the doctor's office, Liz. I hope that visit will be the start to your finally healing.

Thanks TJ! I'd like to post in a forum other than this for a change!!!

I completely understand that!

I completely understand that!

Could it be a nerve issue? I

Could it be a nerve issue? I have right foot pain at the front of the ball of my foot, between big and second toes. This I have attributed to poor stride perpetrated by several miserable ankle sprains and subsequent compensation in my stride, along with the compensating value of padded/controlling running shoes.

Since I've run barefoot, I've recognized this problem and in the process of correcting it have caused this pain. I feel it's because of an imbalance in the muscle strength and tendon freedom in that foot. Extra, imbalanced pressure in that area is the cause I think. That being said, the pain and minor swelling that arises comes very close to the nerves in that area of my foot. I would not be surprised had it affected the nerves there.

The fact you have some limited mobility further bolsters my opinion that this is nerve-related. If you really listen to your feet, legs, hips and back I think you will, as I did, find the problem with your stride. Try running in front of a mirror on a treadmill; have someone else watch you run and point out anything weird. I hope you find the solution!

Hi Luber, this is an old

Hi Luber, this is an old post, so your response may not be read by those who would benefit by it. If you have concerns of your own, please feel free to start a new thread and ask the docs. Have you thought that maybe you could be dealing with a fallen metatarsal? They would know better than me.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7