Article: Member Blog of the Week - Boston Bound By Barefoot Glen

Warren Dickey

Chapter Presidents
Apr 3, 2010
Valrico, FL
www.warren-dickey.me
Great post! I've been barefoot running for about five months now and really want to get into barefoot hiking. I live in Florida now so I need to locate some trails around me to start on but when I was stationed in Oceanside, CA I used to go up into the Laguna's and the Cuyamaca's all the time. Great place to really toughen your feet. I'm inspired. I'm going to scope out a trail for me to go hike this next Saturday.

Have you ever run into any issues with parasites or other problems when hiking in the wild barefoot?

Good luck with the Boston.

--Warren

Thanks Warren!

The only problem I've had with barefoot hiking at first were occasional splinters. As my form improved and my pads got thicker, that problem disappeared. I always carry a good pair of tweezers just in case. In the beginning I also had pine cone thorn pokes, but my brain and foot coordination finally figured out how to avoid them. My hiking grouphikes at an quick pace of about 20 minute miles, so it was a bit of an adjustment keeping up with them while learning to barefoot hike. Gravel fields can be a little daunting at first, but relaxing your feet and making slight adjustments on your form to this different 'texture' help a lot.

Happy hiking!

Barefoot Glen

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7