Are Bikila VFF's a step in the wrong direction?

chickpastor wrote: I really,

chickpastor said:
I really, really, wanted to like the Bikilas, but they did not work for me. I probably run minimalist more than BF, so I'm not a hardcore all the time BF'er, but the Bikilas did weird things to my feet and the rest of me. They made my bunion hurt, and it had not hurt since I had been Bf'ing. My toes went numb. I had a really sore spot at the Morton's toe spot and it scared me, and when I stopped Bikila'ing, I stopped having pain again. Seriously not good. Perhaps they do work for some but for me, I need almost nothing to keep my form okay since it is sort of crappy to begin with. Lunas are great although I may get some 4mm invisible shoes next time, and so were the original VFF classics.

If it's any consolation, your Bikilas are making my feet very happy! ! was only going to use them for special occasions/emergencies, but I put them on for my bruised/sprained toe (rather than Zems) and I completely love them. I've worn them for a 4 miler and a 3 miler and had no rough spots, hot spots or gait problems. I always thought they were a huge improvement over the KSO'S and Sprints and Classics for running - especially extending the midsole all the way under the arch (I hated the sucked in arch on the KSO's). I can see how they would not be good for lots of feet, though. I am so glad they are working, because, let's face it, they are so girly cute in the orange and magenta. The KSO's destroyed me because the fit was bad, but the Bikilas are like butter.

Well, isn't that something? 

Well, isn't that something? What sucks for one is great for another.

OH that is truly making me

OH that is truly making me happy! I am so glad they are working for you. I have heard about sizing issues with them and I wonder if that was what it is, just that they didn't fit my foot shape or something. but it fits yours and that is GREAT!

Yeah, and the KSO's didn't

Yeah, and the KSO's didn't fit me at all. I've done a 4.5 miler, a 3 and a 6.5 miler so far in them and they are great. My calf strain even went away.

@Jimmy Hart,You're certainly

@Jimmy Hart,

You're certainly right on your impressions about how your Bikilas were changing with use. EVA cushioning won't last for ever, any runner who has previously run in cushioned running shoes would agree with that. I think though, that any shoe should feel acceptably well from the beginning. Besides, if that was the intention of Vibram in adding an EVA midsole, why did they choose EVA rather than any other more readily compliant material?, and what is the benefit in moulding a thin layer a few millimeters thick to your foot?

If they really wanted to mould the entire sole to the shape of your foot they should have built the sole using some kind of material with memory, like some types of tooth protectors and "intelligent" metals. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be that sort of stuff suitable to incorporate in shoe soles. EVA doesn't really adapt to a particular shape with time, it just becomes permanently compressed.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7