Anyone have issues with patellar tendonitis?

Hey folks,

Anyone that has read my intro knows that I'm still fairly new to running barefoot. A problem I've had since jumping off very high heights (garage roof anyone?) as a youth, is patellar tendonitis. When I began running some tme ago with shoes fitted to me by Fleet Feet, I noticed that my knee was getting hammered and I would spend time icing my knee and downing ibuprofen Lindsay Lohan style. At times it would kill to descend stairs. in any case, my question is: has anybody dealt with this? If so, how? And also, did the barefoot running slove the problem over time? I've not run in about 5 days due to knee flare-up. Please advise.

Regards,

Liam

Can I move this thread to the

Can I move this thread to the Health & Injuries forum?

Yes, I have knee problems and

Yes, I have knee problems and barefoot running has helped tremendously. I abused my knees with 25 years of skiing, 15 years of running with bad form, and hard farm work. I am still working on my form, and for me, barefoot running is the only way. Still learning things every day and this forum has been a great resource.

I also recommend a healthy eating lifestyle and watching your weight. I have lost and kept off almost 50 pounds over the last 10 years.

Research, research, research. The latest article "Joint and Tissue Repair" is great. I take supplements, but might try doing without after reading the article. I have not taken any ibuprofen in over a year. If I have knee pain, I take some time off from running.

Of course if you think it is serious, go get it checked out.

Rick W.

Barefoot Liam wrote:Hey

Barefoot Liam said:
Hey folks,

Anyone that has read my intro knows that I'm still fairly new to running barefoot. A problem I've had since jumping off very high heights (garage roof anyone?) as a youth, is patellar tendonitis. When I began running some tme ago with shoes fitted to me by Fleet Feet, I noticed that my knee was getting hammered and I would spend time icing my knee and downing ibuprofen Lindsay Lohan style. At times it would kill to descend stairs. in any case, my question is: has anybody dealt with this? If so, how? And also, did the barefoot running slove the problem over time? I've not run in about 5 days due to knee flare-up. Please advise.

Regards,

Liam

Liam,

I've been putting up with this since August. The to be unnamed Last Place fellow (barefootrunninguniversity.com) has been known to deal with it as well, if memory serves me.

I had a bout of patellar

I had a bout of patellar tendonitis after my last race. I got it while running barefoot, so more running barefoot didn't really help. But for those who switch from shoes it often does because you take smaller steps and therefore keep a lot of pressure off the knee.

It's not necessarily a cure though. The thing that finally cured mine, and is apparently considered the new miracle cure, is eccentric squats. Meaning that you focus on the eccentric (the part where you're going down) part of the squat. As you progress you can make it harder by doing pistols instead of squats, and doing them on an incline. See video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY98htXP0O4

Thanks guys for the advice.

Thanks guys for the advice. My weight is a bit of a factor, I'm sure, but I'm working on it. Also, thanks for the video. The music was a little trippy, but I'm certainly going to give it a try. The slanted thing: does it have a name or can you use anything in the house that slants and can support weight? Thanks again for the great suggestions!

The slant isn't really

The slant isn't really necessary until you build up your strength. But what I did was to put a piece of plywood on the bottom steps on a staircase.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon