And... Action!

So, I'm brand new to this barefoot/minimalist running thing and am quite excited about it. I've been getting psyched to get out there and try it but I just couldn't wrap my head around goose-stepping around all the goose globs, heron blobs and seagull slobs that are commonly found in the grass around Stanley Park here in Vancouver (I live right next to the park, lucky me). I do plan on practicing on the hard sand when the tide is out and on the concrete seawall. In the meantime, I splurged and bought myself a pair of Saucony Progrid Kinvara 2's. They feel like house slippers and I can't wait to get out in them. I can go on the trails, through all the globs, blobs and slobs in the grass and not worry about it. I know I need to get the stride down, but since I'm starting my running basically from scratch (haven't been doing anything for about 3 years now) I think I'll be okay. Wish me luck!

Sounds great Barbara. 

Sounds great Barbara. Actually hard concrete (like the seawall I presume) is a great place to do true barefoot running, and on that all the blobs will be very easy to see. Avoiding them is part of the fun. You can wear your saucony's on the rest. Eventually your feet will start craving more sensations, and you'll find the barefoot pleasure in all sorts of crazy trails and surfaces. Though goose poo is not one sensation I really aspire to..

Thanks, Stomper.  Stanley

Thanks, Stomper. Stanley Park has a 10 km seawall that goes all the way around so its perfect. I think I'll just try 1/2 km first, or less seeing as how I'm so out of shape. I've got a "learn to run" program that I'll use. I just have to remember not to go out there thinking I can do what I was doing when I stopped (and was completely shod). And the different style of running will definitely help that.

Cheers!

IMHO, barefoot running is

IMHO, barefoot running is more enjoyable if you can learn to be less squeamish. We have lots of Canada geese in the Atlanta area. AFAIK, it is unlikely that any human pathogens can be transmitted in goose poop. I avoid it if I can but try not to worry about it if I can't. Whatever I step in will wear off in the next quarter mile anyway. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;-)

Goose poop wouldn't bother

Goose poop wouldn't bother me, but getting little slugs and earthworms on a rain run between my toes bothers me because those poor critters "were" alive before I stepped on them. Once, I had an earthworm wrapped around my toe, and I couldn't shake it loose without having to stop and dig it out.
confused_smile.gif
The poor thing.

Ha!

Ha!

Fish nibbling.  Hmmmm. 

Fish nibbling. Hmmmm. Actually, I was bit by a fish once at the lake. It swam up behind me and bit me in the back of the leg! Hurt like the dickens (whatever that means). ;-)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon