A huarache material primer

Barefootpuffin

Barefooters
Aug 22, 2011
New blog post where I go into detail about the choices/lessons I learned while making my first test run of my own huaraches. Let me know what you guys think. I hope you can take the mistakes I made and learn from them like I have.

This is going to be 3 part series. This is the first post. The next post will focus on the HOW of making them, and the third post will be after I've complete a final "test" pair with my updated materials and what not.

I appreciate the time you all take to check out my posts, and I've opened up the comments section for replies on the blog if you feel so inclined to add feedback there.

http://wp.me/p1Bi7O-44

Thanks,

Aaron

Great article. Thanks for

Great article. Thanks for posting your experience and pictures. I'm sure it will help a lot of people.

Comments: Most people spell the sandal Huaraches, not Huarches.

Footbed material: I like leather and the most cost effective solution I found was to buy a leather bag at the thrift store. For $5 I got enough for 4 or 5 pairs. Leather pants or jackets would work too but are usually a little more pricey.

Other sole options:

I think it depends on what you're trying to achieve. Last year I just wanted something to take the edge off and to protect to bottom of my socks in the winter. I used only 1mm leather coated with Plastidip. There is no shock absorpsion at all, I feel everything, it just feels a little less sharp and a little less hot/cold...and my gym lets me run in them (they don't allow barefoot on the indoor track).

I just got a pair of Lunas Originals and the soles are significantly thicker. While I love them I think I would not have been able to run with proper for with them a year ago. The thickness of the sole hides valuable feedback. So I think it's better to learn going from barefoot, to thin sole to thicker sole.

Other laces options:

I used paracord for a while and then switch to elasticized laces, the kind you can buy at sport stores to use on regular running shoes. They worked better for me, they spread the tension more. Keep in mind that my leather sandals are extremely light, I think this kind of thin elasticized lace would not work on a heavier sandal.

Maybe you could add lacing options to you article. With my home made sandals I tried the slip on method but the lace between the toes was always uncomfortable. Then I tried the 'alternate tying method' and loved it. There is a video on Youtube explaining it. Basically you make 2 holes on theouter edges of the footbed, near the base of the toes and you cross your strap over you forefoot/toes.

With my new Lunas the leather lace between the toes does not bother me at all. I've not tried it for a long run yet, just 4 miles and some sprints. The video in their FAQ about how to reduce pain between the toes was probably helpful.

Thanks for the catch on the

Thanks for the catch on the spelling. I've changed it to the proper spelling everywhere in the post. That's a hazard of editing your own work...It looks right until someone points out that it's wrong.

I plan on discussing the different tying methods in the next post, and the pros/cons of each as I see them. Good catch on the leather bag idea. I might have to look into that if the pigskin leather hide doesn't work out well. It should be arriving in the mail tomrrow.

Thanks for the great feedback. I really appreciate it.

Aaron

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon