Where and how often do you run?

About 45 times, and a little over 300 miles, a month over the last 6 months. 95% city streets - the rest light trail or beach.
Barefoot full time from the end of April to the beginning of October, mostly in minimal shoes through late autumn and winter but still with a few barefoot miles each month.
Mileage drops in Jan and Feb as that is when I can go XC-skiing.

Whew that's impressive mileage.

I run trails when it's warmer and roads in the winter. I look to run every other day, at least eight miles per session and a longer run weekends.
There's no science behind what I do, it's just something that works for me and distances I enjoy.

Reactions: DNEchris
I always push a stroller and I never really know just how fast I truly am until there is a race or something that I can run without the stroller.

I get so used to running WITH a stroller that it feels strange to run without one. It works well for me because I am far from competitive when running and Hubby feels like every race we run needs to be a literal race. (I blame the Army for that)

I get so used to running WITH a stroller that it feels strange to run without one. It works well for me because I am far from competitive when running and Hubby feels like every race we run needs to be a literal race. (I blame the Army for that)
Army boy here. I completely understand.

Reactions: Sid
Funny Gentile and dutchie, my body does that in the peak of summer, around July'ish but then in the winter I am great with smooth sailing. Of course, we don't get as cold as you guys do either. For me it's the heat that really kills me and forces me to slow up on my running.

Yeah, it's like clockwork and it's been like this for years. It's a true experience of my body talking to me, and I listen. I get things back in gear around mid-january.

I run early mornings 4 or 5 times a week with my dogs on an old railway trail. It is much easier for me to get up at 5 and go for a run rather than try to fit it in after work. I don't run far - 3 to 5 miles to keep a reasonable level of fitness - my competitive days are done. The trail is mostly limestone worn smooth and/or a slight covering of soil or sand - and being in Bermuda - doesn't get to freezing. It is barefoot heaven - just need to look out for the casuarina berries (very sharp), protruding rocks and the frogs. Every run is bare. My alarm clock - 80 pounds of German Shepherd bounding onto the bed and giving a big wet kiss.. He could have woken Rip Van Winkle! Rainy days - fuhgetaboutit - they sleep in.

I run 99.9% of the time on paved roads. I would like to run on some trails and there are some mountains I can run on, but the monkeys that early in the morning kind of freak me out.
I run every day. I might take off 1 or 2 days a year for some reason or another. Sometimes I run twice a day. Typical runs are 1.5hrs (~19km).

During the warm, daylit months I run 4-5 days a week up to about 30 miles per week. During the winter darkness I get out maybe 3 times most weeks, once on others depending on scheduling. I'm a 'fit running around my life' runner so I run mornings, evenings, nights, weekends, whatever I can fit. Add in bringing home lots of work each evening in the fall/winter and my mileage drops to the 12-15 mpw range.

Which reminds me...those report cards aren't going to fill themselves out...

I used to prefer the local neighborhood asphalt as it's right outside my door (as opposed to uneven sidewalk that I've tripped on before). However, now I'm hooked on the local trails. (Disregard the unknown lady, who is probably thinking, "maybe I should try it barefoot?") Look at that nice, covered with short grass, slightly sandy, compact yet soft, beautiful earth! I could go forever on that! Since discovering this terrain on Saturday, I haven't run on anything else. I'm thinking that I could run several times weekly on this. Your soles could probably last forever on this.

Mostly a road warrior or paved trails. If I had some nice trails close to where I live I would more than likely do them half of the time.

Ahhh, Dutchie, we have tons of trails around here. Do I have to drag you out for some epic trail runs this summer, yes I definitely think so.

I will run on anything and anywhere and will run daily if I can.

I live close to a beautiful flat beach, so if the tide is low I run on the hard sand. If the tide is up, I run on concrete, asphalt and a gravel trail that runs through the dunes near the beach. I prefer the sand. I usually run once every two days or a little less, and only short runs because I'm still getting over an injury. Unfortunately, everything is in shoes for now, but I'm getting there.

At the moment I try to run to the beach and back first thing every morning to check the surf and decide what I'll do. That's always barefoot, so I guess I can say I'm doing 460m each day barefoot on concrete and gravel. Does that count? :)

At the moment I try to run to the beach and back first thing every morning to check the surf and decide what I'll do. That's always barefoot, so I guess I can say I'm doing 460m each day barefoot on concrete and gravel. Does that count? :)

Every barefoot step counts, absolutely no questions.

Reactions: Sid
I feel so much better for hearing about others running less at this time of year. This is my first dogless year & combining that with some silly hours at work, trying to move house & minor health niggles means my running's really dropped off, it's not that I'm entirely lacking motivation, just that my the time I've found it there's not enough time left to run!
When I'm running normally it's half an hour of beach/dunes every morning before work with a very occassional long run (an hour or two) at the weekend. Skin to ground until it gets too cold.
First taste of non-sandy trails last Sunday & loved it, though the hills beat me good & proper! Not having that, so planning on more weekend runs in that direction (it's about an hour's drive to my nearest decent hills).

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
Where? Usually right out my front door and I get mauled and stepped on by my dogs. Most of my weekly runs are some variation around my farm. It is a mix of soft dirt with rocks and debris, gravel, a couple sections nice packed dirt, and if I run in the field, crop stubble. If I need more distance and my soles are a little sore, I repeat on the smoother sections. Confused dog looks I tell ya. It all changes with colder weather and moisture though. Longer runs off the farm are tough. Nasty graveled roads or old country chip seal. I stay off the highway because of no shoulder and large vehicles. I have toyed with the idea of running on it in the middle of the night, it is a nice medium chip seal. When we head to town I make sure to bring my running gear for a longer run on smoother pavement. It's like butter, I just have to be careful not to push the pace and revert back to my old habits. My wife does the shopping and I get to run. Also, many trail running options with not too far of a drive.

How often? I can finally run every day and I really enjoy that. I don't really have a schedule, because a long run, hike, or race will usually affect the weekly runs. I'm pretty stubborn and run on sore soles. Joint or foot pain, I'm a little more cautious. If it is just sore muscles, I have found a short, easy run or walk is the best remedy. My work slows down during the winter, so I am trying to get in as much as I can.

My runs are no less than three runs a week and no more than five times a week.
I workout everyday with either Saturday or Sunday off.
When weather permits, most runs are on paved bike trails/sidewalks and cold runs are done on the indoor track.
My weekend long runs are done on the TM when cold weather arrives.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldManHemingway