Ugly Mudder, Feb. 26

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
The Ugly Mudder was held in Reading, PA for the 8th year last Sunday. It's a 7.2 Mile Trail Race run in rugged hills and woods and has enough mud to earn it's name.

I ran it, sharing a beautiful morning's sunshine and breezy 28F with 882 cherful runners. The atmosphere was informal, with the start being announced and many people not even knowing which way the course ran until the heard started moving. The course narrowed to a single track after a couple hundred yards and the steep Walk-Up hills started pretty soon thereafter. I was happy in my VFF Bikilas, though several people told me the course was too technical for them. Lots of rocks. The muddy part came mostly in the second half as the trail wound through a few relatively flat terraces which were interspersed with abrupt level changes reminiscent of carnival slides with more rocks. Fancy footwork was required along with close attention.

My favourite comment came when a guy passed me after following through some particularly narrow, muddy, twisty, rocky stretches for maybe 3/4 of a mile. As he scooted by he said "thanks for the lesson in good form running!" I chose to think he wasn't taking the piss out of me, because, by God, I'd been stepping as fast and smart as I had in me there.

I finished in 1:20 for 210th place, which pleased me quite a bit. The winners did it in just over an hour.

Thanks, Chris!

I'd like to think it's getting better all the time, too. I just read BF Ken Bob's book (yes, 2 years after I started this running business) and he says he's still polishing his form after 20 years.

Sssssh! Don't tell KB, but I haven't finished reading his book yet. I think I'm on chapter four. My bad.

I was wrong about the winners' times. They finished in the low to mid 47 minute range. Holy smokes! How can they run up and down those hills so fast?! I did hear that a few of the front runners came in well bloodied.

TJ, the second half of the book is mostly stories of people and running. Less technical and more readable. I won't tell on you in any case. BTW, what I most directly took from reading it was KB's recurring realization that he needed to bend his knees more as he runs. I've been focusing more on that myself as a result.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7