Training by Time

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
For my third marathon I am going to take a different approach to training this time, instead of counting mileage, I am going by time.

I am reading "Endurance Training and Racing" by Dr. Philip Maffetone, and going to start working on my aerobic system with running slower. Since my personal life is very hectic with kids and work, Maffetone suggests training with time instead of stressing over putting certain mileage in a week.

For example, a runner who averages 7-minute mile pace for 40 miles per week is running the same amount of time as a runner who averages 10-minute mile pace for 28 miles per week (280 minutes per week), and therefore is experiencing the same amount of stress. And that's what matters -- the stress. If a slower runner tries to run as much as a faster runner, the extra time it will take increases the amount of stress and therefore puts the slower runner at a greater risk for injury.

Anyone else train by time, and how did it work out for you?

I don't train by time or by

I don't train by time or by mileage. I train by how my body feels and I usually have a pretty good idea by the time I get a mile in. I myself am lucky to be running though, so I'm in no rush for a marathon. I'm hoping my next race will be a 10k so I guess my goals are a little different than yours. I do like running by how my body feels though. Somedays I run way longer than I initially thought I would and some days I run shorter. I think it works out well for me, but I have also really had to learn to listen to my body much more than I ever have before.

i'm doing maf training and

i'm doing maf training and run by feel. if i feel good i'll extend my route and just complain about how long it took after the run. it's amazing how poor of an aerobic system i have. my comfortable pace and my maf pace are a few minutes apart.

I changed over to running by

I changed over to running by time instead of distance because I kept running the same distance but always trying to beat my previous time. Plus it makes for easier scheduling. My Garmin helps me to know how far I have run.

Ive done it a few times. Just

Ive done it a few times. Just gone out to run 3 hours or something like that. Its a very different feeling because your not depending on your pace.

I think Maffetone mentions something about perception of time, and how to adjust your own perception of it. Very interesting stuff!

Oh, Im also excited to hear your drinking from the Maffetone Koolaid as well now! Cant wait to hear about your results!

Just run in a way that feels

Just run in a way that feels comfortable to you. Training with time is no different than training with mileage as both methods rely on a perceived goal, fail to reach that goal and you add stress.

Chaserwilliams wrote: Oh, Im

Chaserwilliams said:
Oh, Im also excited to hear your drinking from the Maffetone Koolaid as well now! Cant wait to hear about your results!

Yes taking some bits and pieces from the book. I don't have a HR monitor though, and no interest in getting on. I am not in training now, it won't be for awhile but just trying something new. See what happens!

So how will you determine

So how will you determine wether or not your making progress? Or that your running within your aerobic range? Granted the only way to REALLY know if your within your aerobic range is with one of those RQ tests (Respriatory Quotient I think?), but your HR is usually a good indicator as well.

I guess you could go on long runs of a few hours without eating, and if you bonk then your going too fast and running in your anaerobic range, but if you stay strong and finish feeling like you could do it all over again then your in the right range.

...or just chuck it all, HM,

...or just chuck it all, HM, Garmin, iPod, watch, everything and run as you feel like and enjoy. I can't actually do that but once in a while because I usually have schedules to keep or kids to pick up somewhere, but I like to shed as much of my stuff as I can to run.

As to how I'll know if I am making progress, well, that's a very seductive concept. I don't know if it's actually all that good for me, though. Besides, isn't that what races are for?

Hey BarefootG:I trained for

Hey BarefootG:

I trained for my first marathon in 1978 with the "time" method. I guy who wrote for "Runner's World" at the time published a schedule which used that method. I don't remember his name, Joe something. I know he wrote for them for several years, but I have not read the magazine for quite some time.

Anyway, I had a lot of success with it. Knowing you have to go out for a certain time keeps you from rushing through the mileage. Of course, I had a good idea of my mileage, but just didn't dwell on it. I changed up my courses that I ran so I was less likely to know the total miles.

I have only run seven marathon's, but when I run them, I try ignoring the mileage markers so I don't get anxious about the distance completed. At least not until the last 5 or 6 miles when all I want to do is survive and get to the finish. I have qualified for Boston twice, but never really cared to spend the $$ to go run there.

Hope your training goes smoothly and injury free,

Perry

Taking your HR manually via

Taking your HR manually via checking your pulse isnt very accurate. Something about the pressure applied to your cartoid artery effecting the HR.

I dont know why some people are so anti HRMs. My only complaint about it is it gives me a funky tan line.

Did you also run all 20 years

Did you also run all 20 years BF?

skedaddle wrote:Training

skedaddle said:
Training with time is no different than training with mileage as both methods rely on a perceived goal, fail to reach that goal and you add stress.

I could not agree more Ske. I think you are 100% on the button with this. I am learning how to run and listen to my body about what it needs and I'm actually enjoying running now and regularly running longer distances than I ever used to like running. Now I find myself looking forward to the next mile instead of dreading it.

Nick and i ran today. my

Nick and i ran today. my watch broke, again, so i went off his hrm. we've run together a few times so we know how to match up our hr's. we can also tell when we're working to hard, or outside of our hr.

i never wanted to get one but i gave in. even when i tried to slow down before i got a hrm i found out i wasn't going slow enough. your perceived effort and your maf zone will have a huge gap. way bigger than you can imagine. it will be tough to run with at first but you settle in and soon get more efficient. if you have the means then get one. you can always gift it or sell it when you feel you no longer need it.

^+ a big number!

^+ a big number!

BarefootG:The guy who wrote

BarefootG:

The guy who wrote the training schedule for Runner's World that I mentioned above was Joe Henderson. It was my first Marathon and that method worked good for me. I still think there is a difference is going out for time vs. distance as I seemed to settle into a good pace knowing that I was not going to stop until I ran the time, therefore did not rush through it.

I probably shouldn't mention it, but I have never used a HR monitor or even checked my pulse when running. My personality is mainly "phlegmatic" so consequently I just don't care. Least not when I am out for a run.

Per

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldManHemingway