Three weeks of sloth and the M-word

Robbi

Barefooters
Dec 1, 2011
Cape Town, South Africa
Happy New Year, all! I hope you have a fantastic year ahead in running and everything else.

So, the M-word. The M-word is Maffetone. Those of you sensitive to Maf threads can bail out now :).

I took three weeks off over the holidays. I intended to take just one, but ended up at three weeks of delicious sloth and not caring before I got back out on the road this week. I was hoping I hadn't lost too much ground, and the results were encouraging and insightful.

I lost muscle condition pretty fast. After each of two 10km runs this week my calves have been in a not insignificant amount of pain. Not injury level, but a bit surprising nonetheless. But that seems to be the only backslide (that and few pounds).

To my surprise, over the 10km distance, my MAF pace at 133bpm dropped from the region of 8:20/km to 7:26/km for the first run and 7:31/km for the second. The niggles I was feeling in my left foot have dissipated as well, and my foot toughness has increased tremendously. I barely feel a 10km run now, whereas before I would certainly feel the effect in my feet, and 15km was at the absolute limit of what my feet could stand.

I guess I needed that rest! What this tells me is that despite my best intentions, I nonetheless still managed to overtrain last year. It's such a hard thing to throttle back as a runner and I was clinging to the notion that my feetback would be enough, but clearly I was still pushing harder than I should. I think I'm close to getting the balance right, though, and will be able to use my Maf pace as a good litmus test for overtraining this year.

All in all, it's great to be back on the road and have a little reward for my sloth on top of it!

I've not had the long lay off but I am noticing some signs of lack of rest (can't call it over-training 'cos I don't 'train') so I've decided to reduce my running volume over the next few weeks - I regard your news as very encouraging!

Chris, it seems like it would be hard to dial back without conscious effort in your universe. How else do you get to work? What about all those folks that will miss you?

On the other hand, I believe that giving the body a recharge interval now and then is healthy, and effort at a constant level will grind one down.

Good on you, Robbi!

Reactions: Bare Lee
There's always the subway - and they might think I've been on vacation! (Though perhaps only for half a day at a time)

Recharging is certainly necessary. (Work will take me away for a week this month and there should be the opportunity to genuflect to Ullr for some of that time).

Reactions: Bare Lee
lucky you robbi. i have been unable to stop myself from running. i definitely over trained and was over stressed in December. my times have lowered significantly because of it. i will attempt to rest for up to two weeks then and see if that helps.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon