The barefoot runner qualification thread

Abide

Barefooters
May 13, 2010
This is in response to Fetish and TJ’s discussion on another thread http://www.barefootrunners.org/build2/forum-topic/foot-injury-can-barely-walkany-ideas?page=1

Because I am often the a-hole that Fetish describes, I feel a need to come clean. It is relatively easy for me to run barefoot all year long. I live in a very warm climate and run in a city with nice clean roads. If I lived in a cold climate I would wear shoes as soon as running became uncomfortable. If I ran regularly on trails or through any other difficult terrain I would also wear shoes. If running isn’t enjoyable I am not going to do it, period.

Rick is one of the only barefoot runners that I know of who runs in rough winter conditions. Most of the other barefoot purists live in a climate that is warm and conducive to barefoot running year round. So yeah it is easy for someone who lives in California to say just go barefoot to the runner in Maine, but if they were there I promise you they would be running shod as well. In my mind it is not tough to run barefoot in the extreme cold but foolish. The same way I would consider running ten miles for your first barefoot run is foolish.

You can be a barefoot runner and still wear shoes, they do not have to be mutually exclusive. My only wish is that when you can run barefoot you take advantage of it!

Completely agree.  FAT =

Completely agree. FAT = Footwear As Tools

I would love to live in a

I would love to live in a warm enough climate so that I could be a barefoot purist. I'm hoping for one of those mild Winters we haven't had here in Chicago for a few years, so I can work on my barefoot purism.

No way dude.. if you dont run

No way dude.. if you dont run in the snow barefoot you're a sell out. I run all year long and gets darn cold here in Souther Cali.. into the low 50s I tell you!!

Hilarious Bart! You get snow

Hilarious Bart! You get snow when it's low 50's? kidding

Temp in Reno is 48F degrees now...Might go for a short run after work if it isn't snowing since it will be a balmy 40ish this evening before dipping to the 20's by tomorrow a.m.. Warm before the storm and all that. But I'll take a barefoot 40F over 95F any day! Have to admit the 20's scare me.

Yes, Jason came up with the

Yes, Jason came up with the motto, I came up with the acronym. I think it says a lot.

Beware FAT! I just

Beware FAT!

I just discovered this afternoon that 3 weeks in Bikilas results in very sensitive feet when returning to BF. I thought I had to get my feet used to them in order to run my 10 mile trail race without disaster, so I was 2 weeks of prep. Then I had what I considered good reasons to stick to them last week as I explored new trails. Today I returned to my #1 training run, the towpath of the Raritan and Delaware Canal and thought they must have put down new, extra sharp gravel. They hadn't - it was my feet. I wimpered back to my car to get my VFF's after 1/4 mile.

I am so ashamed!

Barefoot TJ wrote:Completely

Barefoot TJ said:
Completely agree. FAT = Footwear As Tools

Footwear As Tools To Accommodate Specific Situations= FATTASS :evil:

I'm with the rest, sure wish I could barefoot year round. I'm sulking around at the thought of having to wear shoes on my runs, very soon. I've worn racing flats once, in the last 9mos, just a few days ago. Hoping I can push into December at least.

I wimpered back to my car

I wimpered back to my car With your tail between your legs, I hope. Just teasing!

Ha, that's a good one, Zum. Tell that one to Jason next time you see him on. Funny!

Can you guys not wear

Can you guys not wear huaraches with wool socks up there, or is that not warm enough? I know it gets mega cold up north.

FAT!  I like it too! I've

FAT! I like it too!

I've learned that a wet 50 degrees is worse than a dry 40 degrees for numbing toes. I carry socks on most runs, especially longer ones, just in case. Even so, wet socks at 50 degrees only helps a little. Numb toes are not fun to run in, no matter what you're wearing - or not!

On the other hand, I love running in snow in 20 degrees - wearing wool socks and water shoes, of course. It keeps my feet warm, and warm feet can make the run!

I wouldn't say that I would

I wouldn't say that I would consider someone who runs in shoes any less of a barefoot runner. However I would suggest that everyone try running through winter. Just because it seems impossible doesn't mean you shouldn't at least give it a try. Its Footwear as Tools, not footwear as a crutch. I think you should only use shoes when you absolutely have to, not just in case you might need to. Again, I'm not judging, thats just my thougts on the subject.

And of course, I live in New Mexico where I will probably be taking a maximum of 20 steps through snow all year (while running anyways.)

You guys be sure to check our

You guys be sure to check our Barefoot Rick's article on the cover about Winter Barefoot Running. I'm sure you will all learn something. I know I did.

As joseph alluded to, I run

As joseph alluded to, I run barefoot as much a possible through the winter to keep my feet in running shape. I know my limits and there are times I'd simply rather not run then run in shoes, my choice. I will be wearing VFF's for a race this month because it's a trail race, I don't do barefoot trails, that's one of my limitations.

I want to go into the spring ready to race, I don't want to have to recondition my feet.

Just put some sand paper as

Just put some sand paper as lining on the inside insole of your VFFs, Ram. You'll be good to go.

I run barefoot whenever I

I run barefoot whenever I can, but I refuse to go numb just to "prove" something - like what, that I'm as stupid as I look out there? Ha!

Last winter there were times I'd come across a 1/4 mile stretch of nearly bare sidewalk surrounded by snow, when the sun shine had melted some of the snow (and even warmed the sidewalk - nice!). I'd stop, remove shoes and go that short distance bare, then stop again to replace shoes and keep going. I DO NOT like to run barefoot in snow or when it's below freezing. Ouch.

I have thought about that TJ

I have thought about that TJ but I really, really do not like running in them. I was going to go for a trail run a few weeks ago, I got out there, slipped on the VFF's and ran about 200 yards before I went back to the car and drove into town so I could run BF. It was weird, I felt almost out of my element or something wearing the shoes (I haven't worn any since a couple snowy runs in Feb.)

I don't consider myself a "purest" because I wear shoes pretty much everywhere except for running, but I can't get comfortable with anything on my feet. I'd like to try hurachas and some of the other (very expensive) minimal shoes, but I don't think I'd get much wear from them.

I'm just teasing Ram 'cuz I

I'm just teasing Ram 'cuz I like to tease Ram. But it should work. I mean why not? If Todd Ragsdale can run the longest recorded pure barefoot run of 102.65 miles from simply barefooting it for a few short months and like only gravel bucket marching for something like three months, then why not, right? Sure, it's not the natural way to go, and of course it would be best to build up conditioning by only natural means, but if it works... I don't know. Someone convince me otherwise.