Swelling near 5th metatarsal/phalanges joint?

duelle

Barefooters
Nov 20, 2012
Michigan
So I've just started running and after about half a mile the soles of both my feet seem to swell in the area pictured below. It doesn't hurt, it almost feels like there's something stuck to my foot, like a thick bandage or as if my foot has a bump on it. I've looked at my soles and they don't seem any different. The feeling slowly fades back to normal during my cooldown walk after about 5 minutes. Just wondering if anyone else experiences this and if it's normal for a beginning runner.

Image for reference:
a.jpg

I get this when I run in near freezing wet conditions. I keep looking at my feet because it feels like something is stuck to my foot in that same area.

Another thing to keep in mind is that is exactly where your foot will build up fatty tissue, as a result of barefoot running. Note in the picture that the foot is almost straight from the small toe along the entire forefoot. The more you run barefoot the more you will develop a bulge in that area. It is how the body builds up a protective cushion.

Best advice I can give is if there is pain stop running. Pain is your alarm system.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon