Shotgun Journalism re: Barefoot Driving. Every Base Covered

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Reactions: Bare Lee
Good find, and a reasonably fair and balanced article. Driving barefoot can be a problem for someone who never does it and then tries it once. Like us, in reverse. It takes me a little while to adapt whenever I drive with shoes.

And of course we all drive stick shifts here in the land of the Autobahn.

This quote from the article is wrong:

Ohio even wrote the warning into its law: "Operation of a motor vehicle by a driver with bare feet is permitted but not recommended."

That was never in Ohio law (though it was on their web page for a while). That quote is from the AAA Digest of Motor Vehicle laws (pre-www), and is probably the result of somebody calling the Ohio BMV and the person there adding their own personal opinion.

Reactions: BFwillie_g
Good find, and a reasonably fair and balanced article.

And it is from Fox! Or is fox business more balanced than fox news. Maybe they couldn't find a political spin for it.

But the say "Bare feet can easily slip off the pedals or even make drivers more likely to miss the pedals". Did someone do a study on this? I've never had that happen. My foot is kinda grippy on the pedals. I'm guessing that's pure conjecture or from someone not adapted to barefooting--it hurt a bit so the foot flinched.

I always drive barefoot. Definitely feel more sure-footed than with shoes. My highly unscientific (and untested) view is that, between a bare foot and one shod in a 6" stiletto, my money is on the bare foot in terms of safety.

But I do keep a pair of VFFs in the car in the event of a zombie attack. Not to run away in, but to toss at them, hoping they'll see them, rather than me, as lunch.

Reactions: ChasingShadows
I take my shoes/sandals off when driving. Doing so provides for a more consistent driving experience. I don't have to worry about different footwear having varying levels of thickness, flex, and grip.

I'll happily drive either barefoot or in anything that fits round the heel (shoes you can leave behind on the peddle when you move your foot are not good!). I've never had a problem adapting to different heel heights. My worst clothing related issue is the hem of my trousers catching on the seat adjuster just when I need to put my foot on the clutch, however I do still choose to drive fully dressed!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon